It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gigafactory for TESLA Batteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Aparently the deals gone down.....Now for the mega bidding war that will ensue between the states who want the employment boost im sure.....
What the net benefits of this leap of faith will be may be questionable considering the investment, and the pace of technological breakthroughs that seem to be occurring regularly these days...
Solar cells recently have managed to double up their previous output, and other quantum breakthroughs seem almost on top of us...energy may be a much cheaper commodity soon....
5 Bil. is a large outlay for transitional technology as well as a possibly giga contamination site should the market move on quickly to other sources...
Just look at the pollution... reactors have wrought....
I also question what net benefits will accrue to the state who wins this potential white elephant....
edit on 31-7-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Good news I think.

What are the environmental costs of producing those batteries actually ?
I just read about a major breakthrough in cellphone batteries, which would increase capacity by 300 %.

Question is if the mega factory is adaptable, and willing to implement new more advanced technology ? Pretty important in my opinion.

Can somebody answer these things ?

S&F by the way !

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Why the hell Texas is in the running I'll never know. You can't even buy a Tesla here (you have to have it shipped from another state)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
They'll be making a jacked up electric 4x4 that comes with knobby tires and an M16 in a rack behind the seat specially for Texas......

The technology is a bit beyond my scope, but I have a gut feeling that such a massive plant would probably end up producing a lot of waste maybe toxic.....
The batteries may be at the cutting edge now but what happens when the tech is made obsolete and by passed like Detroit was?

M aybe I should have put this in the "prophecies and predictions forum" because I have an uneasy feeling that this is the wrong horse to bet on...and that there is better , more efficient, and less resource wasteful and cleaner tech just around the corner....and that this will turn out to be a big boondoggle in the long run....
edit on 31-7-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

top topics

join