It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking Fact - More Tigers in American Backyards than in the Wild

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I read this in the paper earlier...

One of the world’s largest populations of tigers exists not in the wild—but in captivity in the United States. With an estimated 5,000 tigers, the U.S. captive tiger population exceeds the approximately 3,200 tigers in the wild.

Across the Unites States laws vary with each state from no restrictions, to simply requiring registration, to the banning in same ownership of the keeping of them as pets. This means only six per cent of the US tiger population resides in zoos and other facilities accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. In central Texas a 49-year-old women was found trying to sell tiger cubs outside her local Wall-Mart.

97% of tigers' habitats have disappeared

www.independent.co.uk...

www.worldwildlife.org...

edit on 31/7/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I think this is a pretty shocking and saddening fact.
We've decimated their natural environment and there are now more in private hands and "backyards" than in the wild.
I don't have a lot to say as the fact speaks for itself really.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Wait...I can own a tiger in my backyard.....and get it at Walmart......that will keep everyone off my lawn

On a serious note. That is an amazing statistic to read. It is also a little sad

edit on 31-7-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Where are the world leaders, the vaunted New World Order and TPTB, who are working every day to expand and restore the natural land for the animals, birds, insects, plants, and all the other lifeforms who've lived where humans have now torn down and built upon? Until the NWO folks and the rest get on that issue and stay on it, they have no hope of ever winning over the hearts and minds of hundreds of millions of thinking people.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
In the case of the Siberian tiger it is not a case of habitat erosion but of heavy poaching. I never understood how someone gets their jollies just by blasting things they have no intention of consuming.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The more I hear about that country the more astonished I am at the way some people live their lives.

3 percent of the population using 25 percent of planets resources, international genocide and this.......to name but a few.

Pfhhhhhh.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
In the case of the Siberian tiger it is not a case of habitat erosion but of heavy poaching. I never understood how someone gets their jollies just by blasting things they have no intention of consuming.

Absolutely.... the article says

When tiger ownership and breeding aren’t monitored, captive tigers become easy targets for black market sales, and those sales end up threatening wild populations too. The illegal trade in products derived from captive tigers stimulates demand, especially for tigers in the wild. The greater the demand, the more wild tigers will be poached.

People not only poaching for sport.... but for erectile dysfunction and hair loss and all manner of other crap.
Damn the Chinese...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

well, you probably have an IQ triple that of the average guy killing a chipmunk with a handgun (I saw that accidently while channel surfing about two weeks ago). Idiots in the woods don't bode well for the critters who actually live there.
edit on 31-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
That is so sad, we are terrible.

It just goes to show, there isn't much difference between a millionaire with a tiger, or an average Joe with a tiger, neither truly have compassion or common sense.
They are called wild animals for a reason. They need to be in the wild. Protected lands, with hunters hunting the poachers.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
well, you probably have an IQ triple that of the average guy...

You vastly over estimated but I will mail you $50 anyway.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

That's because tigers taste horrible.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Okay. I'm getting angry and depressed. Time to log out.

Great find, perspective. F&S&

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Yeah they are... but as long as some people keep fighting for them, like the WWF, tigertrust - et al. Then there is still hope.
Slim hope is still hope.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
People not only poaching for sport.... but for erectile dysfunction and hair loss and all manner of other crap.
Damn the Chinese...

My disdainful comment applies to despicable actions like these as well. I honestly would like to set them loose in the woods and poach them.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

My disdainful comment applies to despicable actions like these as well. I honestly would like to set them loose in the woods and poach them.

Yep.... We'll let anyone who uses bones or testicles or fur as some sort of remedy, into the wild, one by one and say "if you can take the bits of the Tiger you need, by hand - bare hands, no weapons - then you're welcome to them"

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It will be a very sad day when we tell our children "this is what a tiger used to look like".

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I wonder how many Americans have planned for roaming tigers when the SHTF?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
I wonder how many Americans have planned for roaming tigers when the SHTF?

I did. I can run faster than my neighbor.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is just appalling but sadly not surprising.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join