It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Faces 'Insurmountable' Water Shortage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: DumpMaster
a reply to: FyreByrd

If only the religious people would wake up and smell reality, they would stop having more than 2 kids and overpopulating the world like a plague. I say religious people because it's part of their "belief" that they need to have as many kids as possible and that it is all "a god's work". Non-religious people have more than 2 also and are part of the problem as well.

Water wars coming, I called this about 5 years ago. What does your "god" say about bringing too many people to the world, only to starve, die and suffer, and start massive resource wars? That's the endgame for religion.

Except Christians fertility rate is the same as the world average. So your post is wrong.

I never said christians, I said religious people, as in all.. world wide. Not just a North American thing.

I would actually be interested in seeing any info on fertility rate of religious people vs non-religious (Worldwide all religions).
If I am right, the religious are the larger part of the problem.
edit on 31-7-2014 by DumpMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Briefly - I'm not here to debate the facts of the matter nor the promises from any given source. This is an urgent problem - today in the west as well as the 3rd world as we like to call non-wealthy countries.

Desalinization is extremely expensive today. We need to conserve what fresh water we have and use it wisely.

The military does use desalinization and certainly has new/better methods in the pipeline but with all do respect, we cannot count on them to have anything working in less then 40 years (see the F-35 as an example of our efficient miliatary design, development and production model)

Sea water is not useable water for drinking and any industrial use. There is some work (largely in the middle east and china) on crops that can flourish in brackish water, but they to are a long way from world stablizing application.

We are already seeing the results of careless use of Fresh Water resources. Think privitazation is going to help??? Think gasoline is expensive.

You don't have to 'buy' it as long as you can live without it - or can afford it.

edit on 31-7-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5

originally posted by: FyreByrd
The above is the best reason I know for shutting down fossil fuel and nuclear electricity sources.

Nothing else even comes close to realistically meeting our energy needs. As a matter of fact we need to go near 100% nuclear, and get away from fossil fuel entirely.

Think about this - would you rather have electricity or water? Which is required for survival?

REALLY?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Sorry folks,free energy makes salt water potable instantly and shipping it free.

And running water through a natural cycle which has no byproducts other than the base components of water will ensure a very very long supply of fuel and drinking water for us all.

Technology hasn't saved us yet? Just when is it going to live up to peoples expectations.

Sorry to all that worship at the feet of technology's various Gods - they ain't going to save us any more then the little green men are going to save us.

Delusional.

Here's a lecture, great lecture, on promising new technologies based on water's own properties:

...but it will take decades for any practical mass applications be available.

DELUSIONAL

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: defcon5

You sure about that, chief?

120x as efficient as coal claimed by the company.

And just how much water does it take to manufacture parts, cool components.

AT ISSUE HERE - for the very slow - IS WATER - FRESH WATER - for drinking, cooking and raising crops.

AGAIN - can you drink electricity????? Can you water crops with electricity???

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: elpistolero1
this must be a joke... water it's not going anywhere, As long as the oceans and the sun continue to exist, the water cycle will go on almost indifinetly, providing rain and natural desalinization as it always did for eons.
For this very reason, the real problem lies in the perfection of our decontamination methods and the correct management of toxic waste of all kinds.

And just how do you know this - God told you? Ever heard of MARS???

Basic systems tells us it will run down do to entropy. And that's going to happen - next week (I'm not entirely sure that's an overstatement-can't spell the word I want).

We no longer have a natural hrydocycle. We have alternating Flood and Drought as the system depairatly attemps to regain homeostatis.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Your link wasn't working when I checked, could you tell me where you think it has gone? Or how it was consumed?

Sorry about that:

www.commondreams.org...

The above is the correct link. As Common Dreams is undergoing a design change, I've had some intermittent problems with the site.

Here are direct links to the research referenced in the article:

www.cna.org...

and

www.cna.org...

both hosted at CNA - hardly a liberal outfit.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You can't even get original?

C'mon. Throw something at me that actually adds weight to your view.

You care to watch the demonstration?

Tell me that's 27watts worth of light flashing in and out of that box.

Pot calling Kettle here - children play nice....

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: occrest

Water scarcity is both a natural and a human-made phenomenon. There is enough freshwater on the planet for seven billion people but it is distributed unevenly and too much of it is wasted, polluted and unsustainably managed.
un.org
If we (humans) can get over the major obstacle of greed, There would be no water issues. for then we would be able to distribute, conserve, clean and properly manage our water.

Do you happen to know if they have historical maps? Or the date of this one? Thanx for the resource.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Briefly - I'm not hear to debate the facts of the matter nor the promises from any given source. This is an urgent problem - today in the west as well as the 3rd world as we like to call non-wealthy countries.

You're not here to debate the facts? Then you're hear to preach to us? No thanks.

Desalinization is extremely expensive today. We need to conserve what fresh water we have and use it wisely.

No it's not. I just showed you we have the tech.

The military does use desalinization and certainly has new/better methods in the pipeline but with all do respect, we cannot count on them to have anything working in less then 40 years (see the F-35 as an example of our efficient miliatary design, development and production model)

You're going to compare the timeline for a fighter jet from conception to production to water purification? Wow, man. Just wow!

We are already seeing the results of careless use of Fresh Water resources. Think privitazation is going to help??? Think gasoline is expensive.

No joke. Which means when it really becomes an issue, stricter rules will be enforced. That's just not here yet.

You don't have to 'buy' it as long as you can live without it - or can afford it.

Poor sales man.

*walks away*

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

There is a big difference in FRESH WATER and Salt Water.

This may be new to you, but people have been very worried for decades, some even forsaw this 100 years ago (Vicktor Schauberger, for one).

Why do you think big business started bottling water 30 years ago.

Please, please, for humankind's sake, educate yourself (and others).

Like most environmental issues - it's painful and frightening to contemplate the consequences of our collective action - it's easier to just - ignore it and hope someone else cares.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: DumpMaster

If only the religious people would wake up and smell reality, they would stop having more than 2 kids and overpopulating the world like a plague. I say religious people because it's part of their "belief" that they need to have as many kids as possible and that it is all "a god's work". Non-religious people have more than 2 also and are part of the problem as well.

Water wars coming, I called this about 5 years ago. What does your "god" say about bringing too many people to the world, only to starve, die and suffer, and start massive resource wars? That's the endgame for religion.

Except Christians fertility rate is the same as the world average. So your post is wrong.

A bit paranoid there, the post said nothing about any specific religion. You got verifiable number on religious vs. non-religious birthrates?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Millions of tons of fresh water ice at both poles, either transport it as ice, or melt it there into specially built water tankers, also, 'used' water, boil it, filter it, use it again, the ISS does.
Water Hyacinth is very good at removing 'crap', although then there is the problem of contaminated water hyacinth, burning it still leave the 'crap' behind, such as heavy metals, solve one problem, create another one.

All these Frozen Fresh Water at the poles? Most Arctic ice is seawater. Glacial Ice, with is Fresh, is rapidly melting into the oceans slowly changing there salinity which will - will not may - effect the ability of life form to survive, the temperate and weight of the oceans which in turn affect the deep ocean currents that our bioshpere depends on for it's very existence.

The hydro-cycle is vast and complex and absolutely key to all other living (I'd add non-living as well but include them in living the living/non-living thing is a bit*h) systems on our world.

Please, please don't think this is simple or easy. You cannot do what the ISS does on a global scale. The scope of the problem is huge and collectively we are ignoring the problem. And so my daughter, to be completely selfish here, will die before her time from thirst - or make choices that I can't imagine.

Please, learn about it - courage to face reality is our only hope. Not money, not science, not some santa clause God, not some little green - benevolent - men.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Seriously? You'd rather die of thirst (or pay exorbinant prices for it) then pay taxes?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Lets just say WE NEED TO CLEAN UP the system and we will be FINE.
www.elementfour.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

I've long had problems with ATS motto "Deny Ignorance" for many reasons, mostly that it doesn't make and usefull sense.

And TWFAA came up with an alternative that works "Confront Ignorance".

That said, and I applogize for losing it here, how ingorant are you? That water you see - the 70% of the SURFACE AREA of the planet we call Earth is SALTWATER. Just try to drink saltwater, just try to water your garden with saltwater.

THIS IS ABOUT FRESH WATER. Don't they teach basic science at all any longer in the US? geeeeesh.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

And thank you for sourcing your statement.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I was willing to listen until I got to page 12 of the CNA pdf. Where and I quote "Strategies to Address Water
Challenges and Mitigate CO2 Emissions" When reading from page twelve on it really is about alternative energy sources and reducing CO2. Also talked about is the CCS (Carbon Cap Scenario). This really looks to me to be a backdoor way to promote Climate Change.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I was willing to listen until I got to page 12 of the CNA pdf. Where and I quote "Strategies to Address Water
Challenges and Mitigate CO2 Emissions" When reading from page twelve on it really is about alternative energy sources and reducing CO2. Also talked about is the CCS (Carbon Cap Scenario). This really looks to me to be a backdoor way to promote Climate Change.

Well how can you separate the two? The title of the paper says as much.

The systems are intertwined. It's difficult to separate out the Hydro-cycle without affecting the Carbon-cycle or vis versa.

It's rather like trying to fix a human circulatory system outside the human body, fix that in within it's discrete boundaries. Then when the system is fixed, putting it back into the now dead human body it came from (because while fiddling with one system, the whole system is ignored and hence losing both.)

Not an elegant analogy, but an appropriate one.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: occrest

Water scarcity is both a natural and a human-made phenomenon. There is enough freshwater on the planet for seven billion people but it is distributed unevenly and too much of it is wasted, polluted and unsustainably managed.
un.org
If we (humans) can get over the major obstacle of greed, There would be no water issues. for then we would be able to distribute, conserve, clean and properly manage our water.

Again, thanks for the graphic. I looked and the data is from 2012.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join