It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Rips through Historic Eastbourne Pier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Another of our historic seaside monuments has been seriously damaged by fire today , Eastbourne Pier was built in the 1870s.
The fire thought to have been caused by an electrical fault and appears to have destroyed the arcade building , reports are that no one has been hurt by the blaze .

"The emergency services have done a fantastic job," he said.
"The fact that as far as we're aware that nobody's hurt - we're not aware of anybody unaccounted for - they evacuated the site very quickly and they've managed to contain it to that front dome so there's hope of getting the pier restored.
"The building which has been affected is the largest dome on the pier, and it has been badly damaged - but further down it looks as it's always looked.

A fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters are using lifeboats to help tackle the fire from the sea and an aerial platform is being used as a water tower to prevent the fire from spreading on the shore side."
He said crews had gone onto the pier from the sea-ward end to try and stop the fire spreading further along the structure and the blaze was being "brought under control".
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That sucks. There is always room for a remodeling conspiracy!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Being a Firefighter myself, that one bitchin fire to fight.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
i was just scanning bbc news for anything and thought about this one too. You did it better than I would have

Such a shame an historic and beautiful structure should vanish

thanks for the post

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

That sucks. There is always room for a remodeling conspiracy!

Absolutely!
I live just along the coast a little. It was only a few years ago that Hastings pier mysteriously burnt down.
With the Hastings pier the OS was that two teenagers had started it but there was no proof, and few locals believed the story.
If you were in a boat and only about half a mile out at sea you could see both Hastings and Eastbourne piers.

The Hastings pier fire.

edit on 30-7-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Lets hope it gets repaired and doesn't end up the same way as the West pier in Brighton when it burnt down in the 1970s.Brighton council were going to sell it for £1,but you would have had to spend £1,000,000 to repair it.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
with luck english heritage fund will fork out as there isnt many of these about now, the wrought iron beams may be a sod to replace if these are heat damaged. are there any foundry's left able to make them anymore?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hate it when old, historic stuff burns... and arcade buildings, even tho it may not have been an arcade in the sense I am thinking... :/

edit on 30-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: suicideeddie
with luck english heritage fund will fork out as there isnt many of these about now, the wrought iron beams may be a sod to replace if these are heat damaged. are there any foundry's left able to make them anymore?

The people of Hastings rescued their pier when fire destroyed it. They sold shares for £100 each, raised enough cash and right now its being rebuilt.

You mention the wrought iron beams, they are actually cast iron. In the case of Hastings pier they hired a guy with some special tech. He lowered it down between some of the beams and it scanned the entire lower section. It revealed what beams were the original cast iron, and those that had been replaced with steel over the years.
Some of the beams are being replaced and I suspect they are those that were made of steel, cast iron last for centuries

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 0420142014Mon, 04 Aug 2014 11:52:28 -050011am804MondayAmerica/Chicago by doorhandle because: gremlins

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Very sad, I live near Eastbourne pier and have many good memories spending silly money playing mortal kombat and killer instinct games on there back in the 90s.

Luckily its only the front arcade section which was old and decrepid anyway (those mortal kombat games were probably still there!) it will be back open in a year or 2 no problems, and hopefully more modern, better and safer.

The only conspiracy is how this could happen, with piers being known to catch fire you would think more would have been in place, the fire fighters and coast guard did an amazing job to contain it though.

top topics

join