It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sells 5,000 Hellfire missiles to Iraq. What could go wrong?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

too soon.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's strategy. Now the Islamic State nee ISIS is going to have to pull men off of the line in order to train them to use these shiny new missiles. The US has them right where they want them. You have to think all tactical like.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The Daily Show US spreading democracy in the middle east 2014 07 29

And to Saudi Arabia and Qatar and Jordan and Egypt and Israel and Oman and Kuwait and Bahrain and the UAE.

Yeah...what could go possibly go wrong?

Then again, why would the U.S. MIC, who sold weapons and gave money to people who were killing us in India deny itself a profit?
edit on 7/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
MIC is going to make their money. We will all be expected to cry a river went they are used against US interests. Now another reason to send the military somewhere. Then the MIC makes more money. Repeat forever.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
They are just on lone, they will send them back when the time comes. Just like all arms the US sells, sooner or latter it will be returned to sender or his neighbors.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Point first of course...................

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
After ISIS lost the initiative in Iraq after being held out of Baghdad the Iraqis have been on the offensive. They have taken cities here and there inlcuding Saddams birth place. They pushed into Tikrit but, have pulled back because of ambushes. The missles are something they need to keep up the pressure. The Shia militias have also been massing for an offensive to back the Iraqi army. Most important though is the that gangs of Sunnis are clashing with ISIS as they try and destroy shrines and landmarks in Mosul. As I have said before it is only a matter of time before the Sunnis are in full scale revolt against ISIS. ISIS is going end up having to head to Syria as they will be pushed out of Iraq within a year or less. In Syria lack of cooperation between the FSA, the Syrian Army and the other radical groups will continue to allow ISIS to operate. In Iraq ISIS has seen its zenith. At some point as the Iraqis advance the Sunnis will make a move on ISIS and they will be on the run. Now the Sunnis may keep on fighting the Iraqi gov and that will be a different conflict. The missle sale is just common sense to show support for the Iraqi gov with something they need to advance.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

This is the best I could find that seemed to almost fit the situation....almost a sarcastic "Super, great idea chaps, no problems could ever come from this"

This does seem like an awful bad idea, the Iraqis can't be trusted not to defect, it has happened before, it will happen again.

I bet ISIS(?) get their hands on more than a few, 50p bet.
edit on 30/7/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
So, if Russia supplies weapons to someone (rebels), Russia is totally responsible for how they're used and on who they're used against, and gets sanctions.

The US supplies weapons to someone, and it doesn't matter how they're used, or who they're used against.

*just saw a line on CNN about Israel needing more ammo from the US.

Just a bit of a double standard.
I'm thinking that's not what "leading the free world" is supposed to be about....

ISIS/ISIL is going to be so well armed.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
So, if Russia supplies weapons to someone (rebels), Russia is totally responsible for how they're used and on who they're used against, and gets sanctions.

The US supplies weapons to someone, and it doesn't matter how they're used, or who they're used against.

*just saw a line on CNN about Israel needing more ammo from the US.

Just a bit of a double standard.
I'm thinking that's not what "leading the free world" is supposed to be about....

ISIS/ISIL is going to be so well armed.

Well most of ISIS weapons are Russian, they have some American stuff they captured. However just like the Rebels in Syria and Assads Goverment they mostly get weapons and ammo from Russia. For the rebesl they buy them throuth 3rd parties and the Russia pretend they do not know where they are going. Also what would ISIS do with hellfire missles? Even a better question considering ISIS hold it Iraq territory is falling apart how would they get them?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
U.S. approves $700 million sale of Hellfire missiles to Iraq
Reuters 6 hours ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department has approved the sale of 5,000 Hellfire missiles to Iraq as Baghdad tries to fend off militant Islamist forces.

The deal is valued at $700 million, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency said on Tuesday.

Iraq had requested 5,000 of the air-to-ground missiles, which are manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corp and enable helicopters to battle tanks and other armored vehicles. Much smaller Hellfire shipments have already been sent to Iraq

hellfire missiles (@ $140k ea.) are not adaptable as RPGs or ManPADS....

but the thread consensus that these advanced missiles will find their way into the hands of the Caliphate is realistic

when ISIS does the regime change in Iraq....the copters & Jets will be available to ISIS....and the WH occupier will hold up a change-of-custody graphic to show that the WH & the Muslim Brotherhood cabal in the Beltway are 'clean-as-a-whistle' about the arming of the Jihadists of ISIS...

the missile exchange is being Sanitized --- just as the Benghazi 'advanced arms' corridor was sanitized or had to be sanitized with the blood of 4 troopers & a ambassador and at least 2 or 3 top Generals that mutinied the outrageous WH orders

That's only if the Iraqi helicopter and aircraft pilots are willing to stay in the country. Last time, war was declared on Iraq, they defected to Iran taking their aircraft with them.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I would be very surprised if US arms sales of high tech kit like this Apache/Hellfire combo they've sold to the Iraqi government, doesn't have built-in kill-switches hidden away amongst the software operating systems. So that they can be turned off if the missiles ever get pointed the wrong way.

And I'd doubt the Iraqi military would have the know-how to uncover that particular line of code buried amongst the rest of the operating systems.

So honestly I don't think this could go that wrong. It's a weapons sale that the Iraqis need to continue pushing ISIS back, they've had good success with them so far.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Good luck Iraq, you'll be lucky to see anything you think you are buying!

As it stands right now, I thought Iraq was seeking to recover $41Billion they paid to the US for arms and aircraft that were never delivered. Found a link:

iraqidinarchat.net...

He Zamili in a press statement, that “the United States did not comply with the agreement concluded with the Iraqi government in the processing of aircraft the F16 , and Apache helicopters, weapons and materiel to combat terrorism, despite receiving more than 41 billion dollars from the Iraqi government, especially arms deals.

So, the US hasn't even delivered the Apaches that the Hellfires would be used on. Sounds like another money laundering operation to me.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
ISIS barbarians do not have aircraft.

the hellfire missile is a air to ground missile.

ISIS has no way to fire them in any meaningful way.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Really, people in charge of things like this have to have a mental illness of some kind. Why don't the people who list (i.e. make up) the 'certified' mental illnesses ever include things like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join