It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Panels how to is it worth it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So im fixing to buy a house and am hoping to use my roof space to atleast cut my power bill down if not eliminate it. I would like to start out small and have the ability to expand as funds become available. From your experience what are some common screw ups and misnomers about setting up your own solar power system. Wher did you buy was it the best are would you have done things differently.
edit on 30-7-2014 by Shaiker because: Cant believe i mispelled solar

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Shaiker

Solar is expensive and to be honest not worth the money you spend on this scale. I do use solar but it is expedition kinda stuff.

You should look into windmills. They are much cheaper and produce more power. You should also look into batteries for storing the power you generate.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thanks SubTruth do you think the solar option would have a return on investment over a 5 yr period. For example, average power bill around 200 a month in a 5 year peiod im looking at giving power company 11,900 and divide by half since i would not be totally off the grid so would i be able to cut it down to 4,450 dolars given to power company. What investment would you think this would take could it be less than 4,450?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hey fix your title.. misspelled it.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ya the problem is to get a return in investment in 5 years is a huge upfront sum of money for the panels,batteries,cables,mounting it is not really worth it. Also how much sun do you get a year? It is much more economical if you live in Arizona then Wisconsin.
edit on 30-7-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ShaikerI would do some searching on the internet. I heard many companies (some in China) are producing low cost panels; much cheaper than they used to be.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Solar is getting cheaper, less that $1 a watt now. Depending on where you live and your energy needs going 100% solar is possible. It would also be wise to supplement your power production with a wind generator too, they can be noisy but are much better power producers per area than solar.

To make solar work, you will also need a large battery bank, a large inverter, and a charge controller. If you plan on selling excess power to the grid, you will also need a grid tie-in apparatus.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Thanks

Changed its like thaty occurs often as i get older.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
somethings to consider...the stuff is heavy so make sure the roof can handle it, overspec the possible amount you can generate as nothings worse than finding that you're generating 2kw worth of power but your inverter or your wring can only take 1.2kw of it

check local regs and do put some isolators on the system as they aint known as widowmakers for nothing.
edit on 30-7-2014 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I am in the foothills of nc. Havnt explored the wind option, but where i used to live it was in a valley between two big hills and it was always windy like a wind tunnel. I bet i would done good with one there.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I know a guy that bought a Prius to save gas.
He paid about $10k more for the Prius than he would have paid for a similar sized regular car.
$10k buys a lot of gas.
You solar panel idea is about the same thing. Do you give the money to the power company or the solar panel company. At least when the shtf you will have electricity.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Ive noticed that more people are putting panels on a ground platform as opposed to their roofs. Would be a pain to remove panels because you needed new shingles or had a leak.

Also check your with your state and county. There are federal, state and local credits and incentives.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How about the value of property in your opinion a house that has solar capabilities increase its market value or decrease it?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It can be done cost effectively. Many already do it.

The price of power keeps going up and the price of solar and other alternatives keep going down. Most will not be able to produce their own power without at least routine maintenance from a qualified electrician. This will not kill the business of selling power and may even save the power companies because they will be burning/buying less fuel.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I came across a small wind turbine online the other day at home(where I bookmarked it) but the design was different then typical, looked like a spinning top, narrow at one end and wide at the other. Anyway, the design was much more efficient in it's test, and they were going to sell it pretty cheap I believe. In NC wind would be a much better alt than solar(I am over in the TN Valley). Regardless of what you use, check with the local utility to find out their regulations on grid interfacing or else you may have to have some extra work done.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tnhiker

How loud are these turbine generators i will be in the backend of a subdivision and have 1 neihbor pretty close.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Serious efforts are being made to keep solar power expensive and out of the hands of most americans. New terrifs on panals from the largest suppling countries will keep the price up. Not to mention the 30-50$ mo. rent in some states to have a meter that allows you to sell back. Last week you could get panels for .25 cents per watt. Now .75 per watt is the best you will find on average.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
And in Colorado?
www.solarpowerrocks.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

dont forget solar-water with options of adding heat sumps and air/water heat exchanging systems

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
And in Colorado?

www.solarpowerrocks.com...
That is good to see. That kind of leasing program is what every farm in america should have. There is no reason that any home with land should not be able to find a lease to own program for solar. The small electric co-op's should be leading the way on this. Unnecessary terrifs on panals at this time is just not smart.
edit on 30-7-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join