It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom arrested, charged with felony for letting son walk to park alone.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian
a reply to: gladtobehere
Most localities in America have rules on parental supervision with ages and everything, the thing is they are rarely enforced and most parents have zero clue that they could be breaking the law, most places put the bar at around 11 or 12 when kids can actually be out for extended periods in public without supervision, the problem has nothing to do with harassing parents, it really is putting personal responsibility upon the adults of very young children , not making it the communities liability if something were to happen to that child.

If there is an ordinance spelling out what this parent did as being either neglectful or criminal then here we go again, ignorance of the law is no excuse, In my own opinion look at the stats, kids get snatched up or abducted way too often, a 7 year old has no business out by themselves with no parent to look out for their welfare, just that simple, it's always ok until you see those people on the news when something bad happens to their tot, these people are all bent out of shape wondering how or why something could have happened, the reason is they were not doing everything they could to look out for their child's welfare.

Actually, he was probably safer playing in the park unsupervised...

Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often brothers, fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances, such as "friends" of the family, babysitters, or neighbours; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.

en.wikipedia.org...

So, that being the case, we should start arresting mothers for not watching their children at all times while they are with their father, brother or uncle...and/or for not being present at all times when they are at school, in church, while playing sports, or while he is with a babysitter (think about that one).

Why are we arresting a mother for something associated with the lowest percentage risk...while ignoring the biggest dangers.

I think it is obvious that our children should all be placed in bubbles at birth, and not be allowed to interact with anyone at any time...just to keep them "safe".

edit on 31-7-2014 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

That is nothing short of outrageous. I'm surprised she didn't just leave the state.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyeddie68
a reply to: gladtobehereIMHO...7 is too young to walk that far.No way I would allow my daughter to do that...she is 8.

You have been mentally conditioned to believe that everyone wants your child. Just like women think every time a man looks at them they are thinking about sex or somehow "want them." CONDITIONING...

The only thing you would really have to worry about are older kids being a$$holes.

We live in a state of fear. Having parents arrested for this crap only perpetuates the state of fear.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
A 3-year-old boy died Wednesday after he became trapped in a hot car in Sylmar, police said.

Police say the boy was in a yard and then climbed into an unlocked car. Details on how long the child was in the hot car alone were not immediately available.

Police say his father woke up from a nap and found the boy unresponsive.

"At the very least, this is obviously a very tragic accident and it highlights the importance again of not taking for granted where your kids are and what they might be doing," Los Angeles police Lt. Paul Vernon said.

No arrests have been made.

Link

Parents asleep and/or not watching a 3 YO outside the house but it looks like they are not considered endangering a child. Pretty damn sad.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

Your experience absolutely breaks my heart! I can't imagine the he'll your daughter and your family has been through. I pray with all my heart that they come back into your life one day. My sister-in-law is waiting to adopt a child. I know she would be horrified if a child was taken away from his or her biological parents and given to her under these circumstances.

How many of us have taken a colicky child for a ride in the car late at night so they could fall asleep? God forbid you get in a fender bender!

Back on topic (sort of): You know, our concept of "childhood" and "teenager" has only changed in the last hundred years or so. For centuries children only had a short while to actually be "kids". They were expected to work and contribute to the family unit. Boys were expected to work in the fields, or apprentice for a trade. Girls were married off or sent out to do domestic work by puberty. And unfortunately there were human predators then as well. The world was, if anything, less safe than it is now. We just have better communication. I love my children more than anything in this world, but I do not coddle (or try not to). I believe that kids learn best by experience. If a 7 or 8 year old isn't given the opportunity to stand on their own two feet, when will they ever?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I take issue with this in many ways...the least of which is that a parent isn't "allowed" to raise their own kid, their way anymore or so it would seem!

There were 8 of us...8...sent outside in almost every kind of weather, we knew the rules: stop in for a sandwich or fruit if you were hungry and have your butt back for dinner, promptly served at 5pm!

We roamed, rattled about, imposed on other kitchens and people, got in fights, resolved them that same day, broke a few bones and windows, and had a heck of a childhood learning how to problem solve, be resorceful with our entertainments, and to just be kids who KNEW the boundaries and RESPECTED the parents who laid them out!

Everyone turned out just fine, a few scars from tree limbs that didn't catch us when we fell but just fine.

If this kid's Mom, who is the only one who "knows him and their living situation" thought it was okay? It was probably okay! She did absolutely NOTHING wrong IMHO to allow him to walk a bit.

I realize the world's a "different place" but is it?

The hovering and sniping parents, the competetive and judgemental attitudes of parents and kids, the kids who can't open a flippin' juice box without having a hand-held and it done for them...it's ridiculous IMHO and yes, I have family members "guilty" of such behavior and the older silblings among us LAUGH at them and sneak their kids out to climb trees, shoot BB guns, and eat too many doughnuts in one sitting!

It's part of the "process" and it's being turned into some sort of social-experiment as to "who and whose kid" gets the most brownie-points for being the most obnxious and overbearing.

I credit my love of adventure, bright mind, and ablity to sense right from worng to a childhood that allowed me to discover the world a bit in my own surroundings!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Um... I was riding my bike miles away from home at that age. All over the neighborhood, visiting Out-of-town country friends, or out in the woods, swimming and fishing; often by myself. We don't allow our children to develop autonomy and confidence these days. We just scare the piss out of them and lock em inside. Then we complain because they are getting fat and accuse parents of neglect there too. Such a screwed up culture and system.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I live in florida and just like every other story that comes out of this state this is beyond ridiculous!

I don't want to hear times are different, that was my knee jerk reaction at first and it's the wrong way to look at it.

What happened to liberty and freedom we here so much about?

At 7 I was riding my bike a lot more than a half of a mile away from home.

The nanny state atmosphere in this whole country is getting crazy!

The worst parts of the reporting going on with this is how it then connects the fact that "multiple sexual offenders live in the area"......?? And that matters how?

So in other words if you live anywhere near people who the state have determined are sexual offenders then and right to move freely is now subject to the wisdom and permission of the local police force?

Too young or not, a parent should have final say over what their child can and cannot do, more people should be upset tat this clear intrusion by the police into these peoples personnel lives.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

Um... I was riding my bike miles away from home at that age. All over the neighborhood, visiting Out-of-town country friends, or out in the woods, swimming and fishing; often by myself. We don't allow our children to develop autonomy and confidence these days. We just scare the piss out of them and lock em inside. Then we complain because they are getting fat and accuse parents of neglect there too. Such a screwed up culture and system.

Both are very good points!

Let the kid outside your making him a target for sexual perverts, keep the child in and you are neglecting your duties to your child's health.

Either way you do it the state is saying you are a bad parent incapable of looking after your children.

What a crock of #

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join