It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is god a thing of the past?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
can man out grow god? can he be shed like a child leaving the house. can he reach a point where god is no longer needed?

god has many influences on our society today he affects many things in our very govt.

i will leave this broad so conversation can vary.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
god is a thing of the past ...present...future...he is the all in all.....i think that says it all......

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDuRtAn
can man out grow god? can he be shed like a child leaving the house. can he reach a point where god is no longer needed?

You are viewing it right now. Sure it is a painfully slow transition, but I believe it to be quite obvious when the heritics & pagans are no longer being murdered by god fanatics simply for not believing what they believe that things have indeed changed. We have come a long way and still have a long way to go. Perhaps if we do not destroy ourselves we may actually make it to the point where we, as a whole, are no longer scared of ghosts. Not everyone needs, wants or cares about any one single concept of god that I know on a personal level.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
well that is seriously sad :shk:...i think you are going to have to wait forever into eternity ...people dont grow out of needing god...as if that could be done...that is such a super macho stance to take ...as if believing in god were the problem of all history...the problem of all of history is our sin nature...we are the monkey butts

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninki
people dont grow out of needing god...as if that could be done

Then please explain to me why less people (per the average of said religious following) are praying at church or following the ways dictated by the bible or why religion was once such a large part of most peoples lives in the past, but now not much so.

You seem to believe that everyone needs god which you have not even attempted to prove in any way. Don't you think it is possible that some people may not believe as you do. Here is an example. I wake in the morning and have no need of a conscious god to do so. I go to work to make money to feed myself and god does not enter it. I get in my car to go home at the end of the day and whether it starts or not this god of yours is not going to help or hinder the engine reving, so why should I bother with thinking about this god to start my car?

Believe it or not I do believe in a universal force, but to go as far as to call it god or a god would be paramont to superstitious personal desires without a basis in reality. Just because a universal force may infact exist does not mean that people need it or even experience it in their lives let alone make slaves out of themselves for it.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
in a sense, possibly. but for the most part,. no people arent out growing God. I no many people on hand who are very religious and belive in God.
God has nothing to do with religion, but still many belive in religion and many more in God. so God isnt a thing of the past, he will always be in this life time, and many to come, and if God exist, then forever.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slicky1313
God has nothing to do with religion, but still many belive in religion and many more in God.

So would it be adequite to say that religion is how we define a specific version of god? That is to say many people may believe in a god, but those people may also have drasticaly different Ideas on what that god is.

If this is what you mean then could it be religions that are losing steam, but not all versions of a god as a whole? Is that what you mean to say?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
God or the idea of god does have a good effect on our society the way people act the way people treat others (morals, ethics and so on) but does man have to rely on god to give him these things, no. no he doesnt, man chooses himself to follow or live or treat others the way he wants. man does not need god to micromanage him. he can do the right thing with out god. all god is is the shepard who herds the sheep in the right direction. he is the parent figure. just as we have learned right and wrong from our guardians they have from theirs. god is not needed in guiding us anymore we can guide ourselves. we know what is right all we have to do is choose to do it. our future is in nobody but our own hands

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
people do not out grow god, it's just their relationship with god has changed.

I agree with Slicky if what is said is what Jonna interpreted. People are losing faith in their religions but not in their belief of thier version of god, also many are changing their views on their gods and accepting other version of gods.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

God or the idea of god does have a good effect on our society the way people act the way people treat others (morals, ethics and so on)

I disagree, I dont think its done much good. Besides, people dont need a believe in God to have morals or ethics.

To me God is just something unknowable. So, I dont think people will ever stop thinking "why?". I think we are curious by nature, and constantly seek answers to life. With that said, I do hope that people grow out of religion and dogma. I personally would like to see a more secular America, and world in general. I think its time to stop being so superstisous and grow up so we can peacefully learn together and enjoy our lives instead of relying on dogmatic scripts written long ago that no longer have any relevance in our society.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i believe that the scriptures do have relevence in our society....and yes i think god has everything to do with our everyday lives....mental, physical,sexual,lives everything i do i talk to him about....we cannot outgrow god...but we can outgrow our own britches when our heads get too big...i dont want a more secular america...i want people with morals to teach my children in the schools, i want people with values living and exhisting with me on this plannet...but i guess what do you mean by MORE secular???????more of what in perticular..it seems to me they have already taken god out of many things in culture...so what exactly are you pushing for? i dont believe that god is fading into the backdrop of peoples lives..i think people are pulling away from religion...not relationship...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

i believe that the scriptures do have relevence in our society....and yes i think god has everything to do with our everyday lives....mental, physical,sexual,lives everything i do i talk to him about....we cannot outgrow god...but we can outgrow our own britches when our heads get too big...i dont want a more secular america...i want people with morals to teach my children in the schools, i want people with values living and exhisting with me on this plannet...but i guess what do you mean by MORE secular???????more of what in perticular..it seems to me they have already taken god out of many things in culture...so what exactly are you pushing for? i dont believe that god is fading into the backdrop of peoples lives..i think people are pulling away from religion...not relationship...

Nobody teaches morals in schools in the first place. Second, do you think people who dont believe in God dont have any morals or ethics? Do you think we just run around assaulting and spitting on people? Sleep with 9 year olds? Murder anyone we dont like? People can have morals and ethics without a belief in God. Do you really believe I have no morals or values? Honestly.

I wouldnt mind if religion dropped off the face of the planet. I dont care if people believe in God, I just dont like when people try to uphold their morals on other people who dont believe in their God. Especially the government, religion has no place in it. A relationship with whatever you believe in is fine, but I think everyone is getting tired of religion.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
ok here is a mood swinger

what if schools were to involve morals and ethics in their teaching would/could/or even should or do they even have the right to do such a thing

now take god completely out of the picture and keep it secular
who would set the standards
would we need something higher than ourselves to set them OR
could we figure them out and set our own standards who would enforce it

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
where do we derive our morals from??

are they instinct or are they like a family heirloom passed down through the ages.

we all start as a blank sheet

we are puddy

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   

where do we derive our morals from??

are they instinct or are they like a family heirloom passed down through the ages.

we all start as a blank sheet

we are puddy

Basically, I think morals orginate from seeing what works for a society and what doesnt. Imagine a small tribe, they get set back or get nothing accomplished when they kill eachother. They accomplish a lot when they are cooperative, sharing, empathetic and hard working. They figure out what works best and these rules are passed down generations and generations and generations.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i believe god places the knowledge of right and rong in the human mind...i think that even if your parents were phsycho you would still know it was rong to kill someone.....and i also think that even if you do not believe in god he still affects your life,is the one in controll and is still on the throne..i dont think that it matters if we think we are the all powerful in our lives..or percieve ourelves to be above believing in god...No i dont think that you have no morals i just think god gave them to you......

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"i believe god places the knowledge of right and rong in the human mind...i think that even if your parents were phsycho you would still know it was rong to kill someone...."

So if this is true then why do parents need to tell their children not to hurt others not to hit your sister not to do this not to do that.

how can we be so nuetral when born how can we not know this all why do we need to be told and why are we always blaming tv movies and video games

because we do not know right from wrong

we have to be shown it

we may know that doing this or that does not feel good inside but we do not know at a young age that it is bad.

[edit on 4-12-2004 by MrDuRtAn]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
im am talking about the feeling inside that lets you know" hey that does not feel good when i hurt others",kill,cheat, lie etc....we all have it.....and of course it helps a great deal when you have good parents...but even when we dont we are still accountable.... i think inside we know what is right and rong

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

im am talking about the feeling inside that lets you know" hey that does not feel good when i hurt others",kill,cheat, lie etc....we all have it.....and of course it helps a great deal when you have good parents...but even when we dont we are still accountable.... i think inside we know what is right and rong

What about sociopaths? They have no concept of right and wrong, they feel no remorse for doing things we would call immoral. They feel no remorse if they murder someone, they cant comprehend things like "right" and "wrong". What about them? Did God forget them?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel

What about sociopaths? They have no concept of right and wrong, they feel no remorse for doing things we would call immoral. They feel no remorse if they murder someone, they cant comprehend things like "right" and "wrong". What about them? Did God forget them?

I guess they forgot about God.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join