It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet privacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well I have just seen a CNN report on background checks and searches. There are over 300 available to snoop on people, one of the most used is www.abika.com... where all you need is a name or phone number.

One disguntled exboyfriend used docusearch to find out were his ex-girlfriend worked then went there and killed her. Docusearch never even gave her a headup that someone was looking for her, the court case was settled recently out of court.

This is scary and should not be legal. Jobs, credit etc can be affected by the outcome of using these sites.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Well I have just seen a CNN report on background checks and searches. There are over 300 available to snoop on people, one of the most used is www.abika.com... where all you need is a name or phone number.

One disguntled exboyfriend used docusearch to find out were his ex-girlfriend worked then went there and killed her. Docusearch never even gave her a headup that someone was looking for her, the court case was settled recently out of court.

This is scary and should not be legal. Jobs, credit etc can be affected by the outcome of using these sites.

This is really scary stuff,
i think this is all in place to create a "snitch on your neighbour" kind of thing. Thing someone is doing something bad, find their details and make it public. This world is pretty messed up at the moment

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
well, theres nothing wrong with getting whats out there, if you're willing to look. its despicable, but i cant see anything wrong with it, other than what its used for.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think a lot of people on ATS are the kind of people who would view your original post as an ad for abika.

Anyway, I don't really think it's any worse than the resources we had prior to the internet. Even without the internet one can find all of that information. I don't think the services/organizations are the criminals, but like any other tools they can be abused, and most certainly will be in the future.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Can you say massive witch hunt? Instead of witches, now it's terrorists.

Don't people learn from history or anything? I'd say not.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
I think a lot of people on ATS are the kind of people who would view your original post as an ad for abika.

Anyway, I don't really think it's any worse than the resources we had prior to the internet. Even without the internet one can find all of that information. I don't think the services/organizations are the criminals, but like any other tools they can be abused, and most certainly will be in the future.

Not meant to be an add, just that website is spooky and the one mentioned on CNN.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hmm, quite disturbing.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Every advantage has its disadvantage and every disadvantage has its advantage.

internet is information and openess and this virtue can be used in a good or bad way.
Privacy will be a word of the past soon..............

new topics

top topics

join