It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Additional Skunk Works Secrets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
An article was recently published by Air & Space Magazine:

Secrets of the Skunk Works

While reviewing it, I noticed a planform that Steve Justice disclosed in the article:

Lockheed Configuration VS-07

As the aritcle discusses, a variable sweep planform can help in a dash-to-loiter mission. I understand it will be difficult to hide the wing root at the glove, from RF threats and am curious as to what has been done by Lockheed to mitigate this risk.

Although they allude to the termination of this concept, I believe the planform has promise in supporting the Next-Generation Bomber Family of Systems. Mr. Justice is a sharp, funny guy and wouldn't put it past him to have another plan in mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

Some interesting pictures in there.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Awesome Op they mention a mach 25 space plane..........I would love to see more info about that. Also just imagine what they have in those hangers nowadays. Stealth is 40 year old tech. They also mention a a hovering battle platform I wonder if it uses anti-gravity. I would be willing to bet we have it.

The rest of the world is 40 years behind the US in aircraft tech.......40 years.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

There are ways to mimic antigravity that isn't antigravity, but it could be mistaken for it.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

id be willing to bet the vs07 somehow makes its way to production

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

You said:

As the aritcle discusses, a variable sweep planform can help in a dash-to-loiter mission. I understand it will be difficult to hide the wing root at the glove, from RF threats and am curious as to what has been done by Lockheed to mitigate this risk.

My reply:

If you want to go that old application route and ignore UFO-like devices, that is where the miracle, shape-changing metals that we sometimes are given hints about come into play. Think about it. A wing or wing root that has no messy actuators but simply changes shape via some manner (throttle setting, wind velocity over wing, or a pilot's thoughts).

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: SubTruth

There are ways to mimic antigravity that isn't antigravity, but it could be mistaken for it.

A bit too cryptic.

Would you please explain what some of these "ways to mimic anti-gravity" that are not anti-gravity might be?

(I once asked you a question about vacuum-cell development that has gone unanswered, BTW)

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

A lot of questions on here go unanswered for various reasons. It's the nature of the beast.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Awesome OP. I enjoyed the article and photo gallery. I just wish we could see all 100 slides contained in that box. Of course, the better thing to wish for is working for Skunk Works and contributing to these many wonder projects. And, if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating STEAK! (reference anybody?)

One tidbit from the article I found fascinating is:

It takes about one-tenth the time and one-tenth the resources to develop a countermeasure to anything that’s introduced...

[snip]
edit on 1-8-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: guppy

Awesome OP. I enjoyed the article and photo gallery. I just wish we could see all 100 slides contained in that box. Of course, the better thing to wish for is working for Skunk Works and contributing to these many wonder projects. And, if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating STEAK! (reference anybody?)

That was my first thought! What's in the booooox? (reference anybody?)
[edit by]edit on 30-7-2014 by keeley because: trying to embed the image

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18213965]TAGBOARD[/post
Pretty interesting pictures in there. I too hope the VS07 gets developed.

Regarding variable geometry 2.0. I often wonder what happened to the x53 ideas and if that ever got developed into something more advanced like shape changing metals like aliensun mentioned. A wing or at least part of it that could flew at will. And if so if they ever applied those concepts to other plane forms. Could think of many uses where this Variable Geometry 2.0/ MAW could come in handy.

I'm thinking no joints or seams. good for lower RCS? Good for smoothing airflow? Gotta be good for something. They dumped a lot of money into that project.

I bet it's made its way somewhere and onto something. And it does more than just loiter and dash.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Looks like some of the "ideas/concepts were pretty darn close to what eventually flew. So, maybe some of the ideas and concepts we see today in the ads, promo films, etc., aren't as far off the mark as we may be lead to believe.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Could just be a simple typo, but there's a big difference between planform and platform. Then again you could be referring to the planform of an aircraft. Either way excellent find! The vs-07 looks oddly familiar

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
That's one sexy looking aircraft.

Shame there's no pics of one flying.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
That's one sexy looking aircraft.

Shame there's no pics of one flying.

Maybe not exactly like that, but maybe there is of one close to that

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Oh? Really?

Not a CG mockup?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

One of them is pretty far off though. Hint it goes real fast.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I saw the B1-R essentially a missile bus with a "V" tail mod is this THAT mission?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: parad0x122

Oh? Really?

Not a CG mockup?

No not a cg mockup. A real pic

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

*chomps at bit*

new topics