It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Thankful to France for

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Any pm that has the audacity to say ridiculous things about british food, namely their beef is grounds to call him white trash. What he said was nonessential and irrelevant, why would he do that?

British food is actually quite crappy (bar a few select meals). Thats why we tend to like foreign food more (currys/kebabs/chinese/french/italian)! Plus, he is the President, not their Prime Minister.

Why would he sell wmd's to Sadam?

Mate, the US sold more weapons and WMD's to Iraq than anyone else. You know what they say, people in glass houses and all that..... And you say "the liberal media" brainwashes people...
WTF is this "liberal media" anyway? What is it with you guys and labels? Neo-cons, Liberals...

Where's the tactfulness, where's the support for the kurdish people?

What about the Kurds? Do you know that Turkey (close ally of the US) has been fighting a Kurdish uprising for about 20 odd years? Where was the US support for the northern Kurds and southern Shias at the end of GW1, especially when it was Bush Snr who urged them to rise up? You left them to the mercy of Saddams Army and they got massacred! Again, back to the glass house idea.....how convenient you forget these things TrueLies (apt name for you there)

I see your disdain for people living in the us is making you a very bitter and hateful person.

Sminkey is far from a bitter and hateful person. I would apply that to you more than him. Seeing as you are blind to the things your own country has done whislt railing on another for doing the same things or less.

[edit on 18/7/05 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
You want me to say something that you agree with?

- No. Sticking to the facts will do just fine.

You want to harp on me because i live in the states? Is that what gets you torked so easily, hmmm?

- Not in the slightest.
It was the silly comments about the French media and French Pres. that sparked my response.

France is renouned for having a much higher than is typical level of public political discourse.
No sign of a 'liberal' brainwashing media there.

Any pm that has the audacity to say ridiculous things about british food, namely their beef is grounds to call him white trash. What he said was nonessential and irrelevant, why would he do that?

- He was joking.

He was so obviously joking about 'British cusine' which is (rightly or wrongly) a subject non-Brits poke fun at. We aren't bothered and 'get' the joke ourselves.

I'm British and you'd have to be blind, deaf and rather dim not to 'get' the fact that British food is (or more accurately, was) a subject many non-Brits the world over regarded with amusement if not outright horror.

(Black pudding anyone?
.......white pudding?! ......blood pie?)

Why would he sell wmd's to Sadam? Of course I understand how every pm and president put their country's well being before anybody else's but where's the morale?

- Probably for the same reasons and the "morale" was the same place it was when so many others were happy to play 'geo-politics with Saddam (and the host of other objectionable characters that 'we' deal with so long as they are, for now, on 'our side'.

(.....and as far as people dealing with Saddam goes I note there has been a Montreal connection mentioned in the so-called 'oil for food' 'scandel.)

this has nothing to do with what my prior comments about.. I see your disdain for people living in the us is making you a very bitter and hateful person.

-

Most amusing, in fact so way off of the mark as to be hilarious.
I am not in the slightest bit "bitter" and nor am I feeling "hateful" to anyone, really.

My comments relate to the (bitter and hateful?) current 'style' for slamming France and all things French from many Americans......and some Canadians too, apparantly.

what makes your stereotypical ass think i'm american, hmmm?

- Apologies, you're a Canadian. Good for you.

[edit on 18-7-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
No, see now your putting words into my mouth. I never said I hate french people. Re read my post on pg 2... Pardon my ignorance about french media not being bias, but the media over here portrays french people as something alittle less then fresh. I don't know whats going on with the americans and the french, the boycotting of french wine, cheese, french fries turning into freedom fries. that website #france.com... I don't know, I don't like it but it's happening. I thought it had something to do with the wmd's chirac sold to sadam which he used to apparantly massacre the kurds.

and also i'd like to point out the "i" had nothing to do with bush sr not following through with his promise.. this isn't to you sminkey this is the above poster... In fact I was about 11 or 12 when that was going on, and I am aware of what happened now and I totally disagree with what he did, I think that is flat out dispicable...

back to you sminkey... I withdraw my comment about him being white trash, I didn't know he was joking, and I didn't know he was joking because I don't know how british food tastes.. I thought black pudding was scottish, never heard of blood pudding or the other one... it does indeed sound alittle less then desirable.

sorry

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I thought it had something to do with the wmd's chirac sold to sadam which he used to apparantly massacre the kurds.

Well, if the American media is telling you this then they are not telling the whole truth. The US sold them mustard gas (halabjah anyone, the "war crime" they are convicting him of now), Anthrax, VX, etc etc..so America is far from innocent.

and also i'd like to point out the "i" had nothing to do with bush sr not following through with his promise.. this isn't to you sminkey this is the above poster...

I would be that poster (you will get to know me in time). I wasn't referring to "you" personally, but to the US as a whole, more like a royal "you". Apologies as i know realise your a Canadian.

I thought black pudding was scottish, never heard of blood pudding or the other one... it does indeed sound alittle less then desirable.

Haggis (sheeps bladder with guts and stuff inside) is scottish. Black pudding is congealed pigs blood.....yuck, I know..hate the stuff myself.

[edit on 18/7/05 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would like to thank them for a source of good humor..

On the lighter Side of French Humor....and the war in Iraq

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
riiiight.............

edsinger, what the hell?

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

riiiight.............

edsinger, what the hell?

Oh lighten up, its just another viewpoint of the French........

Y'all have fun poking at us so what the heck.....

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

riiiight.............

edsinger, what the hell?

Oh lighten up, its just another viewpoint of the French........

Y'all have fun poking at us so what the heck.....

I see your thought process now...

one thing I will never understand from the world; are they making fun of the people who live in other countries or the government but they take it out on the people...

that dude with the 'french still sucks tshirt' is he talking about the french people or chirac and his cronies?

do people hate americans? (a bunch of former immigrants and current immigrants across the globe, or mainly white americans) or is it the government?

this is so stupid we even have to bicker back and forth about all this...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Actually I dont hate most of the French people as I ahve met a few, I dislike the govenment as I am sure you dislike mine......

No harm meant, just some laughs...dont take it personal.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

No, see now your putting words into my mouth. I never said I hate french people.

- Fair enough.

Pardon my ignorance about french media not being bias, but the media over here portrays french people as something alittle less then fresh.

- Well I didn't say they have no bias at all; all media usually has some.
My comment was about your 'liberal media' comment and its' ability to lead the French people by the nose.
France and the French people are famous for their 'Café culture' where politics are a live and well discussed topic.

I don't know whats going on with the americans and the french, the boycotting of french wine, cheese, french fries turning into freedom fries. that website #france.com... I don't know, I don't like it but it's happening.

- Yeah I know; I don't get it either.
Some claim to be just joking but there is such an obvious vein on poison in it I don't really buy that as the entire explaination.

Some might be, many aren't IMO.

I thought it had something to do with the wmd's chirac sold to sadam which he used to apparantly massacre the kurds.

- I think you'll find it had a hell of a lot more to it than that.
Reagan was actively arming Iran (in the Iran/Iraq war) secretly but couldn't be seen to be arming Iraq too, so he funded Iraq to go buy Russian/French/German/British military equipment.
(and there is a long list of US companies that actually did deal with Iraq after that war)

Index of American Companies (and international companies with U.S. affiliates):

AT&T
AL HADDAD ENTERPRISES, INC.
ALCOLAC INTERNATIONAL
AMERICAN TYPE CULTURE COLLECTION
ASSOCIATED INSTRUMENTS DISTRIBUTORS, INC.
AXEL ELECTRONICS
BANCA NAZIONALE DEL LAVORO
BECHTEL GROUP
BREEZEVALE, INC.
CANBERRA INDUSTRIES
CARL SCHENCK AG
CARL ZEISS
CATERPILLAR, INC.
COMTEC INTERNATIONAL, INC.
CONSARC
COPELAND INTERNATIONAL, INC.
DATA GENERAL CORP
DEKTOR COUNTERINTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY, INC.
DOW CHEMICAL
DRESSER CONSTRUCTION AND EQUIPMENT
DUPONT
E G & G PRINCETON APPLIED RESEARCH
EASTMAN KODAK CO.
ELECTRONICS ASSOCIATES, INC.
ENTRADE INTERNATIONAL, LTD.
EVAPCO
FINNIGAN MAT US
FOXBORO COMPANY
GERBER SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY
GORMAN-RUPP
HARDINGE BROTHERS
HEWLETT-PACKARD
HIPOTRONICS
HONEYWELL
HUGHES HELICOPTER
IBM
INTERNATIONAL IMAGING SYSTEMS
INTERNATIONAL SIGNAL AND CONTROL
IONICS
KENNAMETAL, INC.
LEYBOLD VACUUM SYSTEMS
LINCOLN ELECTRIC CO.
LITTON INDUSTRIES
LUMMUS CREST, INC.
MBB HELICOPTER CORP.
MACK TRUCKS, INC.
MAHO AG
MATRIX CHURCHILL CORP.
McNEIL AKRON, INC.
MEMPHIS INTERNATIONAL, INC.
MILLER ELECTRIC
MOUSE MASTER
NCR CORPORATION
NRM CORP.
NORWALK CO.
NU KRAFT MERCANTILE CORP.
PERKIN-ELMER CORP.
PHILLIPS EXPORT
POSI SEAL, INC.
PRESRAY CORP.
PURE AIRE
REDLAKE IMAGING CORP.
REXON TECHNOLOGY CORP.
ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL CORP.
ROTEC INDUSTRIES, INC.
SACKMAN ASSOCIATES
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA
SCIENTIFIC DESIGN CO., INC.
SEMETEX
SERVAAS, INC.
SIEMENS CORP.
SIP CORP.
SPECTRAL DATA CORP.
SPECTRA PHYSICS
SPERRY CORP.
SULLAIRE CORP.
SWISSCO MANAGEMENT GROUP, INC.
TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.
TEKTRONIX
TELEDYNE WAH CHANG
THERMO JARRELL ASH CORP.
TI COATING
TRADING AND INVESTMENT CORP.
UNION CARBIDE
UNISYS CORP.
VEECO INSTRUMENTS, INC.
WILD MAGNAVOX SATELLITE SURVEY
WILTRON
XYZ OPTIONS, INC.
YORK INTERNATIONAL CORP.
ZETA LABORATORIES

Also -
Index of U.S. Government Agencies:

CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION
CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
DEPARTMENT OF STATE
NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL
U.S. NUCLEAR WEAPONS LABORATORIES

www.laweekly.com...

I withdraw my comment about him being white trash, I didn't know he was joking, and I didn't know he was joking because I don't know how british food tastes.. I thought black pudding was scottish, never heard of blood pudding or the other one... it does indeed sound alittle less then desirable.

- Yeah well, no worries.
British food is certainly getting better but for a long long time it has been a by-word for bland, ultra-fatty (fried everything) and/or pretty outrageous foodstuffs.

There are things I know of in French (and Euro) cuisine that don't appeal to me but I don't imagine any British chef wanting to go toe to toe with a continental (never mind French) chef on an arguement over the merits of British versus their food!

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

British food is certainly getting better

Pork-Pot-Pies have allways been good, along with sausage rolls.

I don't imagine any British chef wanting to go toe to toe with a continental (never mind French) chef on an arguement over the merits of British versus their food!

Chef Ramsay'll bit their legs off!

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Pork-Pot-Pies have allways been good, along with sausage rolls.

- Of course, it's surely not possible to have any kind of national cuisine absolutely devoid of any high-points or merit at all, is it?

Chef Ramsay'll bit their legs off!

-

Yeah Gordon R. is a bit of a terror in full flight (the very personification of 'doesn't suffer fools'!). Moody git (but probably a top mate for those he actually does get along with).

......but he'd probably be doing it as he cooked something decidely 'not British'.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
What about fish and chips? I like them.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
What about fish and chips? I like them.

yeah, there nice but I prefer Fish Cake and Chips....MMMMM....Fish Cake. >drool

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Fish and chips? Fish cakes and chips?

Mmmmmm.

Sad to say I also go for the real horrors (but unfortuntely just not very often nowadays, got to take some heed of what the docs say.
).
Doner and shish kebabs (which have become part of the rich 'tapestry' that is now 'British food'........btw did you know the curry Tikka Masala is Britains' No. 1 dish at the moment?) and who could ignore the classic 'great English/Irish fry'.

Fried sausage, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, baked beans, plum tomatos, toasted bread, fried soda bread & fried potato bread (and if in Ireland toasted or fried 'wheaten bread').
It'd put hairs on your hairs that lot.

Coronary thrombosis on a plate, bloody marvellous!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
God, I can't believe I (and apparently everyone else) forgot the best contribution of France to civilization yet!

....drumroll....

Blowing up the Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior!!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
God, I can't believe I (and apparently everyone else) forgot the best contribution of France to civilization yet!

....drumroll....

Holy Sheep # Batman!

There is something I like about France!

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
btw did you know the curry Tikka Masala i

Chicken tikki massala, *drools* *looks like the photo a few posts above*
[imgwww.culinary.net...][/img]
*thinks about somosas* *drools some more*

Indian food and indian restaurants are to England as Chinese food and chinese restaurants are to the US. And I suspect that doner kebabs and turk food follows the same relationship with Germany.

Doners are, apparently, the turkish version of gyros or souvlakis. THe difference being, turks don't liek greeks, greeks don't like turks, therefore their sandwiches must have different names.

See, doner kebab

Gyro

completely different. Totally worth going to war over too!

edit to add:

Fried sausage, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, baked beans, plum tomatos, toasted bread, fried soda bread & fried potato bread (and if in Ireland toasted or fried 'wheaten bread').
It'd put hairs on your hairs that lot.

There's definitly something wrong with a country that has mushrooms, beans, and fried tomatos with their eggs for breakfast!. Don't you guys know that mushrooms and beans are to be had at lunch or dinner? Yeesh, you guys probably don't know the difference between a doner anda gyro!

No wonder you drive on the wrong side of the road, and managed to screw up baseball and football and come up with 'cricket' and 'soccer'.

[edit on 20-7-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

....drumroll....

Oh, admit it, you're just jealous that America didn't think about it first. After all, what's more patriotic than a well-dropped bomb?

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
gyros.... ......souvlakis.

- Oh man, now you're talking!
Cheapest food out there and so damned good when fresh!

There's definitly something wrong with a country that has mushrooms, beans, and fried tomatos with their eggs for breakfast!. Don't you guys know that mushrooms and beans are to be had at lunch or dinner?

- Count yourself lucky, up in the north of England they'd want to foist black pudding in with that lot too (basically a congealed pigs blood sausage).

Yeesh, you guys probably don't know the difference between a doner anda gyro!

- I do too!
......along with the need to do a little quick verbal shuffle when I came home from (Greek) Cyprus once and was telling my local (til then I was unaware) Turkish chip shop guy!

No wonder you drive on the wrong side of the road, and managed to screw up baseball and football and come up with 'cricket' and 'soccer'.

- If I were from the country that describes sports events which almost entirely consisting of teams from itself as a 'World Series' I wouldn't make too much of other people's little foibles matey!

[edit on 20-7-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join