It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 or Ruger 10/22 Takedown?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Buying any weapon because it "looks more awesome" is a bad, bad idea. Consider what you going to use it for, before making a selection. But, it's your money, so.................

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

originally posted by: DigitalJesusWuang

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
a reply to: smithjustinb
I don't know which gun is necessarily better but I do know a 10/22 has a lot of aftermarket accessories. Many people have also converted them to full auto.

In what country is it legal to make such a conversion? Can you tell to me the number of people you know who have converted their rifles to full auto and what permissions were required before/after?

You can get a tax stamp and buy a full auto rifle. Other than that, you can get a slide fire stock which simulates full auto.

Funny story about bump stocks. My Doctor is an also an avid gun enthusiast, so thats what we we end up talking about most of the time.

He built an AR-15 with a bump stock, thinking it would be just the same as an M-16 he trained with back in the Army.

Rate of Fire on a M16/M4 is usually around 650-700 rounds a minute. He said his AR with bump-stock kept melting plactic furniture mounted on the front, and after melting 2 or 3, he eventually had to replace it with a milled metal fore end.

He had his brother, who works for OSBI (OK State Bureau of Investigation) take it to their lab to "clock" the ROF on it.

It came back as ~1175 rounds per minute. :O

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MrCynic

You can order ammo and have it shipped to cabellas.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

Get yourself a real lower, either complete or stripped, and pick up a .22 upper. That way later on you can get a 5.56, 6.8, 9mm, 300BLK, etc... upper and do anything you want to all with the one lower.

That is a good idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalJesusWuang

And why would anyone want to "simulate" full auto with bump-firing and horrible accuracy?

I think accuracy is sacrificed for full auto regardless of how the automatic mechanism works.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Buying any weapon because it "looks more awesome" is a bad, bad idea. Consider what you going to use it for, before making a selection. But, it's your money, so.................

Well I definitely don't want to sacrifice quality for appearance. I'm looking for quality and appearance. But quality is more important for sure.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

If you happen to have long arms you may find the thing a bit uncomfortable. Now that doesn't mean you cant make good shots with it out of the box. It just that if you cut you teeth on longer rifles and you have long arms you will feel the dif.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I run a 15-22 with a slidefire stock, timney 3.5lb trigger and 50 round blackdog drum. I've put close to 6k rounds through it with the original firing pin, extractor ect. ect.

I prefer it to the 10-22 because of the ergonomics. The flash hider, stock, trigger, grip ect are compatible with most aftermarket ar-15 replacements. It's optics ready and I'll be pressed to say MORE reliable than my ruger.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor
I run a 15-22 with a slidefire stock, timney 3.5lb trigger and 50 round blackdog drum. I've put close to 6k rounds through it with the original firing pin, extractor ect. ect.

I prefer it to the 10-22 because of the ergonomics. The flash hider, stock, trigger, grip ect are compatible with most aftermarket ar-15 replacements. It's optics ready and I'll be pressed to say MORE reliable than my ruger.

That slide fire stock seems like it would be hard to operate considering the lack of recoil of the .22 round.

I like what the poster said before about getting the AR-15 lower and a .22 upper.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Not at all. Rifle is all polymer in exception to the barrel, bolt, trigger assembly ect. The key is 40 grain ammo (increases recoil) and the 3.5lb competition trigger (easy break short reset)

Excuse my retarded vertical filming and quality....50 round mag dump.

edit on 7/30/2014 by TiedDestructor because: Added details

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hey there OP, I also own the S&W 15/22 and have put several hundred rounds through it.

Positives- feels great, accurate (Nikon scope sighted in), good "trainer gun" for tactical situations, ammo is cheap when you can find it, lots of customizing options.

Negatives- can't find many except gun is VERY picky with ammo.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Do not buy the S&W mp22 or the mossberg ar22 they are crap. S&W MP line of products are only good when it comes to hand guns. The handgun line is the best in the world for the price point. The AR line is crap it really is.

The Ruger 10/22 is the standard and if you really want something special check out the volquartsen with the trijicon accupoint. That is the real deal and for the money one of the best 22lr guns in the world. Also there are many good 22 handguns like the browning buckmark. I own the camper target and it is great.

At the end of the day do not buy the MP buy the 10/22 and never look back.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
I'm looking to get a .22 rifle. I've been strongly considering the 10/22. No one ever has anything bad to say about the 10/22. But The M&P 15/22 looks more awesome. Has anyone ever shot an M&P 15/22? Which would you rather have?

Looks more awesome. When I first got into guns it was all about the tacticool look and than I grew up and realized I was being a fool. My M1A socom2 was crazy heavy with the light,handle,laser,eotech,eotech magnifier.

Now I run a light and aimpoint micro. It looks less cool but it is better.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ok, first post here. I registered just so I could add my two cents (and I am in no way affiliated with Smith & Wesson)

My 15/22 has been flawless since the day I bought it. It isn't as heavy as a standard AR, it is mainly of polymer construction.

I have one of the threaded barrel versions I bought right after they came out with them. Even being an early production piece, I've been pleased. It's not nearly as ammo sensitive as some other .22s, and it's a breeze to clean.

If you're looking into buying an AR in the future, or already have one, it's a good training tool. Same ergonomics and controls. Aside from the forward assist.

It's also nice to be able to change to similar stocks, grips, and accessories as a standard AR.

Magazines aren't that bad either. They're a proprietary magazine, but the local gun store sells the factory 25rd mags for $16.75 minus a 3% discount for cash.

The 10/22 takedown in and of itself is an interesting creature. The 10/22 just isn't my thing. They're good rifles, and really are the standard that others are compared to.

As for the 15/22 being inaccurate, I disagree. A little bit of trigger work to smooth that out, and it'll shoot just as well as a regular 10/22. However, the 10/22 has many match grade barrels that can be added. But, the 15/22 barrel is a good barrel, made by the folks at Thompson Center (S&W owns that company). The limitation to the 15/22s accuracy comes from the polymer receiver. Any amount of undue force can slightly flex the receiver in one way or the other, causing the point of impact to shift ever so slightly. One way to combat this is through being mindful of your grip and realizing this is a .22 and doesn't need to be hunkered down to fire accurately (mine works just fine with a lightly cradled grip, even with rapid fire).

I honestly believe you'll be happy with either one, they're both great rifles. Choose the one that fits and suits you the best. One thing about the 15/22 as well, with the adjustable stock, it can be adjusted to fit shooters of different stature. You may not think it a big deal now, but it is quite handy when you're shooting in the summer in a t-shirt and the winter in a thick coat that adds 2" to the distance from your body.

Edit: the mossberg AR styled .22, on the other hand, is junk. It's a mossberg plinkster in a plastic body. Had one, traded it the next day for a winchester shotgun. Stay away from those.
edit on 6-9-2014 by gunblaize because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Do not buy the S&W mp22 or the mossberg ar22 they are crap. S&W MP line of products are only good when it comes to hand guns. The handgun line is the best in the world for the price point. The AR line is crap it really is.

The Ruger 10/22 is the standard and if you really want something special check out the volquartsen with the trijicon accupoint. That is the real deal and for the money one of the best 22lr guns in the world. Also there are many good 22 handguns like the browning buckmark. I own the camper target and it is great.

Did you read my above post?

I'll agree the Mossberg is a crappy design. It's simply a receiver and barrel sandwiched between polymer for a visual effect of an ar platform. I would never suggest that pos.

That being said your simply wrong on the S&W. It replicates the function and easily customized design of the AR platform quiet well. While it may not be as accurate as a ruger; it's extremely reliable and utterly tough. They also offer a performance center model complete with a bull barrel. As I said in my above post...I've put right at 6000 rounds through my 15-22 with most of those being bump-fired...25 and 50 mag DUMPS. I haven't had to replace anything yet...that's testament to something.

The great thing about the 15-22 and 10-22 is versatility. They both can shoot most any ammo, have a plethora of great aftermarket triggers and can be broken down and stored away.

So I suppose I fancy the S&W because of the bullet hose ability when modded.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJesusWuang

Not sure if anybody has replied yet. We have bump fire stocks. They can turn it into a pseudo-fully automatic which is still legal. It has to with using the recoil to bump the rifle back and then forward into hitting the trigger again. They are cool stuff.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

originally posted by: SubTruth

Did you read my above post?

I'll agree the Mossberg is a crappy design. It's simply a receiver and barrel sandwiched between polymer for a visual effect of an ar platform. I would never suggest that pos.

That being said your simply wrong on the S&W. It replicates the function and easily customized design of the AR platform quiet well. While it may not be as accurate as a ruger; it's extremely reliable and utterly tough. They also offer a performance center model complete with a bull barrel. As I said in my above post...I've put right at 6000 rounds through my 15-22 with most of those being bump-fired...25 and 50 mag DUMPS. I haven't had to replace anything yet...that's testament to something.

The great thing about the 15-22 and 10-22 is versatility. They both can shoot most any ammo, have a plethora of great aftermarket triggers and can be broken down and stored away.

So I suppose I fancy the S&W because of the bullet hose ability when modded.

Base model compared to base model, accuracy wise the S&W will win. Rugers can be modded to perform awesomely. However, if you're only concerned with accuracy of your .22, well just buy a CZ

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I bought a Ruger 10/22 here in Britain. It's a cool gun. But in Britain it has to have by law a silencer fitted. See pic:

I'd recommend one!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'd love one of those .22 MP44's now being manufactured in Germany, semi Auto, look like they used original stamps and dies!

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tedgoat
I bought a Ruger 10/22 here in Britain. It's a cool gun. But in Britain it has to have by law a silencer fitted. See pic:

I'd recommend one!

I hate you

I just finished filling out a pile of paper work, and paying a $200 tax stamp to buy a $250 suppressor... And now I get to wait 6 months.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join