It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hooked on iPhone Games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Not necessarily 'iPhone' games. A lot of people these days have an iPhone, but I guess we can just generalize it to 'games'.

My mom literally plays some 'warfare' game on her phone while she is talking to people, family members. And she is obviously more attracted to her game, than the conversation.

I know whats its like. From age 10 to 19, I would easily get addicted to games. (Gunbound, Sims, Runescape, Gunz: The Duel, Silkroad Online, Knight Online, WoW, Guild Wars, Call of Duty 4, 5, 6)

But she is 50- something. (am i a bad son for not knowing her exact age? lol)

Anyone dealing with something similar?
Why do you think she is doing this?

Contemplating if this is too personal or not.... but # it.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Look... Your mother is 50 something (and yes... You should know) if she has raised you to adulthood along with any siblings, keeps her job (if she needs/has one), takes care of herself, etc. LET THE WOMAN HAVE SOMETHING TO HERSELF!!!

And I am only half kidding. Seriously. If everyone has left the house aka "grown and gone" she might choose this as a way to fill that extra time. Nothing wrong with that IMO. And maybe the conversation is so bad that she HAS to play the games to help her stay entertained when folks are visiting. How often does she have the visitors? Is it everyday? Every other day? Or is it very rare and she is doing this during rare visits? If the visits are often, then it's probably not an issue. You're family and family generally acts like family. While you may have grown out of it, she grew into it. It happens.

Only you know if it's a true problem. As in her not taking care of herself, children?, spouse, etc. If she is attending to everything like she should... Let her have a bit of fun. She deserves it.

No offense intended with the jokes or advice.

ETA - Full disclosure... I am the mother of a 16 year old daughter who may complain from time to time about my iPad time. This is usually when she has no other plans, runs out of music, phone battery is dead, the tv is off, nobody is texting, no new games of her own, etc. THEN she pops around the corner and asks how long I am going to play Candy Crush/Take Ten/Frozen Free Fall when I just turned it on. I know how you kids are... You just sit and wait to pounce as soon as we parents get some personal time. lol I've got your number...

edit on 7/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

She definitely deserves it.

Everyone but pops has grown and gone. Conversations with me are probably bad because I rarely say anything, just listen. As far as visitors, my sister and I, and her 3 kids a few times a week. And yeah, she attends to everything a female should
, and then some.

I appreciate your advice, Kangaruex.
edit on 29-7-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: thirdcoast
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

She definitely deserves it.

Everyone but pops has grown and gone. Conversations with me are probably bad because I rarely say anything, just listen. As far as visitors, my sister and I, and her 3 kids a few times a week. And yeah, she attends to everything a female should
, and then some.

I appreciate your advice, Kangaruex.

My mom is 64 and loves her some solitaire. When she isn't at the PC playing it, she has a handheld solitaire game she curls up with in her recliner. I can almost guarantee that I can walk in at any given time and that is what she will be doing. My brother and I put her through holy hell though growing up, so I just purchased her a tablet and downloaded all the best solitaire games on it I could find. Talk about heaven!!

I think that a lot of mothers wind up with more free time than they are used to when their kids get to the age that they have their own lives and they try to find things to keep them occupied. Myself included. My daughter is at that age where she doesn't need me constantly, she has her own things to do and my husband works about 75 hours a week... I wound up with a ton a free time. It gets boring and anything new I can find (other than cleaning, knitting, etc.) to pass that time, I like.

She will probably tire of it soon enough and be on to another game/activity. The good thing is, is that a lot of those games help keep the mind active and helps stave off Alzheimer's. So she is filling her time with something that she enjoys and something that is helping her mental acuity. That's a plus! I'm not saying that it can't get out of hand of course, but you will probably know without a doubt that there is a problem if that ever happens.
edit on 7/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Don't ever remember my Moms age either I guess she was in her early sixties. I graduated college at 45 and took my PC over to her house to show her my graphic / photography work....."I want one!" Right up until the day she died, I was adding more ram, better graphics cards, more this, more that. Then came the internet....Bye bye Mom! Games, forums you name it...She was besotted!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
And ? Am 71 and theres a couple games that play on my tab 3 ..
Galaxy on fire 2 along with oh ! edo towns ..

Nothing wrong with gaming keeps the mind sharp ..

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
My mum is the same! Her addictions are farmville 2 & candy crush, you should see her farm its just insane.. She spends money on them aswell! She was at an appointment with me not long ago an had forgot her phone so was trying to use mine so she could play candy crush my mum is 53, i guess thats what i have to look forward too in another 30 years.. She is the same though will happily play away on it while you are trying to have a conversation with her, she is single though and my younger sister who is 14 lives with her but doesnt talk, like at all (teenagers hey!) so i think she just gets bored and it keeps her entertained and well i know games can be addictive farmville had a hold on me once too hahaha, i say let them be, i think they just appreciate the smaller things in life and stuff like that keeps their brain active and them happy..

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Man, i've seen your posts around, I would have never pegged you at 71 give or take. That's tight bro! ha.. You're not the first who's purposefully or accidentally revealed their age, and I find I agree much more often with the older crowd. (i'm 23) I can only hope to have the wisdom and way of words you folks put out. (conspiracy type stuff: i might be reincarnated from the Lincoln era?)

And regarding Kangareux last post, I remember my mom playing solitaire when I was young, and she could keep with a conversation easily. Ever since she got a computer and iPhone, it's like..... ok.... what are you, a 14 year old girl? But I do take heed to you guys' replies, I appreciate it all.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

That makes me a bit worried, cuz my mom was on Farmville for a long minute, atleast 2 years ago. She had a glorious farm too. I dunno if she spent money on it, but she is spending money on this tactical war game.

I can easily understand for a single woman with kids being 53 occupying their time with these things. And you know what, after the replies i've gotten, I reckon i can put up with what my mom is doing. But, WHY? Should I expose my mom to ATS, to show her what's really going on?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I never understood the addiction to these games, a few of my friends literally cannot put there phones down. I am an abid console gamer so maybe that has something to do with it.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I only like skill challenge games. Like chess or tetris 40 line sprint.

The problem with the types of games you are mentioning is you invest all this time in the game, then to justify the time you have already invested you end up investing even more time.

I, similarly, got addicted to Runescape for this very reason. You work so hard, then someone better comes along and beats you. So either you give up on the game and all the work you have done goes to nothing, or you keep playing and doing more work. Then the problem gets worse and worse exponentially as time goes on.

With iPhone and pay-to-play games it is especially deceiving. I played "Crime City" for quite a while thinking it was a good game. You know, checking on it, playing it, putting time into it, buying a little "gold" here and there. What ends up happening is the same wasted-time-justification problem before, but when you get to the higher levels it is populated with very few users of these types: Cheaters who automated the game or cheated the servers and constantly win, or people who have spent an absurd amount of money on gold (or cheated the values locally) and constantly win, or people who are legitimately obsessed with the game and have problems who constantly win. There is no winning and the game is inherently flawed. It is really just a cash making scheme cloned from variants of the same exact concept.

Both of these games, I got to about level 80 before I realized that the ultimate concept of the game wasn't a lot of fun. It was not increasing my skill set as an overall person and actually pretty mundane, boring, and repetitive the type of stuff I was doing (like grinding up my gp in runescape for instance). No reaction time increase. No increase in problem solving skills.

WOW and other MMORPGs.... I have seen these games RUIN people's lives and I would say stay away from them at all costs

As a game developer, I focus on skill-increasing games (like luminosity/brain age/flash focus style) that help people learn facts and become smarter. The trick is to make it seem like some normal stupid addictive game so people will play it.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: thirdcoast
a reply to: Shana91aus

That makes me a bit worried, cuz my mom was on Farmville for a long minute, atleast 2 years ago. She had a glorious farm too. I dunno if she spent money on it, but she is spending money on this tactical war game.

I can easily understand for a single woman with kids being 53 occupying their time with these things. And you know what, after the replies i've gotten, I reckon i can put up with what my mom is doing. But, WHY? Should I expose my mom to ATS, to show her what's really going on?

Lol our mothers sound very alike .. do you mean the conspiracy side of ATS? Or show her this thread? I probably wouldn't show her the thread, but if you mean expose her to the topics here then yeah why not! Nothing to lose.

top topics

join