It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media to be Charged with War Crimes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It is just a thought i am having now that these platforms have such an influence on everyday people. The first thought i had is that how could an object or platform be used to promote violence? What i see is if we compare the effects of these platforms to the advent of the telephone then we could get some perspective.

The telephone is a device where the user censored thereselves where the web is a place that is moderated and upheld by terms and conditions of use. That seems to be a big difference to me. So does anyone think that social media is responsible for more than they want to admit?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I think social media can be a medium, just like TV and Radio, used to incite fear, hate, outrage and other emotions that may lead to violence. But in the end we have a personal responsibility to only use social media as a tool and to not let it drive us to do horrible things.

So, my answer is no.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

War is a crime in and of itself. You can't commit a 'murder' crime, because murder is already wrong. So, my answer is that you can't be charged with murder for talking about murder unless you blatantly advocate it so you can't commit a 'war crime' for talking about war.
edit on 2014/7/29 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247 No doubt. What if a site is well aware of people using it activly to help them in actual war by means of communication. It would seem to me in that case they would be responsible for allowing their members to post updates and such of war actions that may be vital to the success or failure of a group or country.

case in point would be the recent downing of an airliner and the twitter feeds assosiated.

edit on 29-7-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I think blaming the social media for crimes is like blaming guns and knives for deaths. It is better to blame the people using them.

Social media could be used for bad but then so could everything else that has ever been invented.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Fr33domPoet I think you make a good comparison but i would say that we try to remove the weapons from criminals and that social media does not in all cases. however i am not saying that criminals should be banned from the internet but that around the world sites have become a tool for groups to use in their communication and also social programming.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

War is a crime in and of itself. You can't commit a 'murder' crime, because murder is already wrong. So, my answer is that you can't be charge with murder for talking about murder unless you blatantly advocate it so you can't commit a 'war crime' for talking about war.

For being on a "Conspiracy" website, you sure are ignorant of what a charge of "conspiracy" is.

In criminal law, a conspiracy is an agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime at some time in the future. Criminal law in some countries or for some conspiracies may require that at least one overt act must also have been undertaken in furtherance of that agreement, to constitute an offense. There is no limit on the number participating in the conspiracy and, in most countries, no requirement that any steps have been taken to put the plan into effect (compare attempts which require proximity to the full offence). For the purposes of concurrence, the actus reus is a continuing one and parties may join the plot later and incur joint liability and conspiracy can be charged where the co-conspirators have been acquitted or cannot be traced

Source

So Social Media makes it super easy for people to become entangled in conspiracy charges.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I would think that most sites would have specific T&C's that would cover that sort of activity, but if they don't and allow it to continue.....well I suppose a case could be made that they are responsible in some way.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I agree with removing the computers of criminals like pedophiles, cyber bullies, virus makers ect. I think these people should also have the internet blocked for certain crimes.

Maybe no internet would be a better punishment than prison. I know it would be for me.

new topics

top topics

join