It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it with people and their fog lights?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
As a bike rider this is highly frustrating.

Also this new fad for leds all over the front!!!

In the rain, with a wet visor one gets dazzled by these people, TURN THEM OFF, theres no fog, you dont need them, you have headlight we can see you and so can you, a fog light wont make your normal night driving any better.

No fog? NO BLOODY FOG LIGHTS!!!!!!! Literally zero benifit, fog lights are not focused, they are made to cut under fog when its actually foggy! SO when they are used without fog they just blind people at night.

/end of rant

edit on b4848304 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
In alot of newer cars the fog lights come on automatically as a 'safety measure'. It's only going to get worse as more cars will have this in the future. Canadians are more annoying as they actually have their headlights lit when they drive.
edit on 2014/7/29 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
In alot of newer cars the fig lights come on automatically as a 'safety measure'. It's only going to get worse.

I havnt driven a new car with the LED stuff my self, but in actual fog, i really cant imagine they help, they will just light up the fog more not the road.

People need to realize this, obviously i dont expect to change the world with a post, just a rant. I supose you cant change behavior you dont know is a problem in the first place *sigh*

They not being doing it on purpose, but not thinking about how you drive and the other road users is not an excuse either.

I even drove with my main lights off and just the fog lights because when you put too much light in front of you it just makes the white fog.... bright. you need to see the road, not the clouds.

edit on b5959315 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

In Canada they put people behind the wheel of cars who can't successfully navigate a shopping cart! No amount of car illumination will help these fools! (nested rant)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

In Canada they put people behind the wheel of cars who can't successfully navigate a shopping cart! No amount of car illumination will help these fools! (nested rant)

oh totally.

When you have too much light thats not focused on the road (like normal headlights) the random light on a visor with water on it, gives a thousand little blinding sparkles - as if it wasnt already dangerous enough to be riding a bike in the rain.

But every day i see these blinding LED fronted BMWs and such with their fogs on too, its inconsiderate and dangerous.

edit on b0202431 by Biigs because: typos

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I had a bike rider cone right up behind me last night with his LED on the front almost blinding me so its not just fog lights its any of them horrible LED lights! I have fog lights on my car but they arent LED i use them when it isnt foggy though if i am on dark roads instead of high beams because they arent blinding like high beams but still illuminate alot more of the road than just my normal headlights.. I think the problem is really just the LED lights even normal headlights of them are way too bright.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I suspect it correlates to the size of the individual as does the size of the vehicle.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Years ago I found out my lights were on automatically.
I found out the only way to sit in the car and wait to go into work
with out shining light into everyones eyes was
to turn the car off. Put the emergency brake on. start the car.

I only bring that up because it sucks.

Not just fog lights people, when I'm walking down the street don't shine your freaking brights in my eyes!
I watch you turn them up then when you pass you turn them down.

I hope each of you wake up in the middle of the night having to use the restroom and stub your toe !

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

the LED's on everything is a total nightmare.

like i said before, they are un focused (so not aimed at the road) they are utterly dazzling.

I get that its so they are seen, but you dont need to be seen from a mile away!!!! When the rain hits its a nightmare!!!!

edit on b5858409 by Biigs because: damned typos

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I hate the LEDs with a passion. On another thread someone said it was because they weren't focused and cars that have them focused won't blind you. I have yet to see led lights that don't blind me. They are dangerous.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
a reply to: Shana91aus

the LED's on everything is a total nightmare.

like i said before, they are un focused (so not aimed at the road) they are utterly dazzling.

I get that its so they are seen, but you dont need to be seen from a mile away!!!! When the rain hits its a nightmare!!!!

Is it all fog lights not just LED ones? My car is a 2004 so no LEDs on that but if its actual fog lights because of them not being focused then ill definitely be more cautious about using them, because i know how it feels to have your eyes feel like their being burnt out from someones bright lights! Lol. Them bright white LED ones should not be legal though it is really dangerous especially if your on a dark road at night and someone is coming at you with them, you can't see anything beyond the bright white lights drives me crazy!!
edit on 29-7-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
I hate the LEDs with a passion. On another thread someone said it was because they weren't focused and cars that have them focused won't blind you. I have yet to see led lights that don't blind me. They are dangerous.

i agree.

The bright white LEDs on audis and beemers are completely over the top and need to be stopped.

Night driving or riding is hard already, no one needs blinding white light coming at them. As mentioned in the wet its so much worse.

Fog lights are the main issue, but LED "side lights" are not far behind. Dont say its for safty, its one thing to be noticed its compley stupid if you risk that person crashing into because they cant see.

I might as well drive around with rally lights and sun glasses if i wanted to be a total dick about it and stay safe.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i guess that a lot of people dont realise how horrible and inconsiderate/dangerous it is.

They would rather just leave them on, so they dont forget to turn them on when they need them.

Hence this rant thread.

If its actually foggy GO FOR IT, but dont just leave them on because you dont know how to remeber how to operate a vehicle. If i forgot to to turn off my indicators/blinkers a policeman would stop me and possibly give me a ticket.

*rage*

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Greetings,

Fog lights are yellow lights. They illuminate at a specific frequency which cuts thru the fog. The beam has a sharp cutoff at the top to prevent reflections to the driver. It's best not to use white lights while using fog lights.

These lights that are being talked about are not fog lights. They are gimmicks to help sell cars.

My biggest concern is the PU driver that has high beams on and the high intensity driver lights (fog). They literally blind you and if you flash to ask for reduction they do it and then turn them back up.

Most if not all states out law these types of lights but the cops don't enforce.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

You see? Thats OUR problem. Bugs the crap outta me too. They get those lights for cause and effect. Just like a loud racing muffler. Because they can..and they do...so they will.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeorgeH
Greetings,

Fog lights are yellow lights.

in the UK they are bright white lights.

They, if its not foggy are VERY bright and distracting. You drive down a road nd somone on the other side has their main beams on and fog lights on - its hard to see the road even with your own headlights on. Add rain and you have a major issue.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse

I'm starring you for my new favorite term... "Nested Rant". Awesomeness...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Don't ride your bike at night.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willrobinson

Don't ride your bike at night.

Its a motorbike, hence the helmet and subsequent problems with rain on the visor when people dont dip the lights, leave their fogs on all the time and those stupid bright as hell LED side lights.

Riding without a helmet is simply not an option, be it day or night.

edit on b14141240 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Then of course theres the people that drive around in the day with all their lights on, completely and utterly pointless.

At least those idiots dont dazzle people out. I realise some cars CANT turn off their headlights like volvos, but the fog lights are certinly optional - its a button. How hard is it to push a button.

Does anyone drive around with their wipers on when its 100 degrees and not raining? no. You fog light people are stupid and the fog light says "keep distance im a dumbass" and also likely to make some un-signaled turns, not without a touch of irony.

edit on b3131125 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join