It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese hackers steal Israel’s Iron Dome missile data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

A Chinese hacking group has been accused of stealing data from Israel’s billion-dollar Iron Dome missile system.

The state-sponsored Comment Crew hacking group, thought to operate out of China, was responsible for attacks from 2011 onwards on three Israeli defence technology companies Elisra Group, Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Rafael Advanced Defense Systems (Rads) all involved with the Iron Dome project.

Chinese hackers steal Israel’s Iron Dome missile data

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted.

I've been following the recent events in Gaza quite closely and saw this on my news feed. I thought it was certainly interesting and when I came to ATS to read everyone else opinion I couldn't find a thread on it, surprisingly. I did many different searches so forgive me if my eyesight betrayed me.

Anyway, this story is intriguing to me for many different reasons. I know Chinese hackers are good, but I've heard the Israelis are nothing to shake your boot at either when it comes to hacking, so I'm surprised they didn't have adequate defense in place to protect the Iron Dome from these sorts of attacks. And the timing is troublesome for Israel, as they are in the middle of bombing Palestinians back to the stone age for no real reason at all. As Hamas fires rockets into Israel, their main defense system is hacked.

What says the community?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I am sure the hackers are soon to be arrested and beheaded or shot.

China has quite a few high dollar investments in Israel so they don't really want missiles raining down on their projects.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I too thought of posting this when I saw it earlier, but good find

I find this strange also, I'm not sure what the Israeli punishment would be for hacking into government property but like you say I'm sure it would be a heavy one. Somehow I don't think it'll get to that stage, I'm not sure Israels in the position to start making more enemies at the moment..

I would have thought that Israel's systems were impossible to get into, knowing how much the US funds the iron dome and such..Let's just wait and see what comes of it I guess

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hell if they were gonna steal that technology they should have stolen it from the Germans.

With the Mantis CRAM.

www.youtube.com...

CRAM

Counter

Rocket

Artillery

Missile.

en.wikipedia.org...

Based off of SkyShield

en.wikipedia.org...

That thing is AWESOME.

As it was created specifically to preserve life.
edit on 29-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It would seem likely to me that this has already happened before. I would suspect that these hackers are seperate from the chinese gov. that has already hacked the world.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Another thought to consider is that they stole info that was a decoy. Purposefully planted as counter-espionage. Why not?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It might be more opportune to focus what the "data" represents... it could, for example, offer digital evidence of what is occurring right now - in the field between the two adversaries who are driven to kill each other. Aside from a loss of "performance" and "capabilities" type intelligence, it could show signs of dissimulation and other such tools of statecraft.

Identifying the culprits is, of course as much propaganda, as it is truth. Not saying it isn't so... just saying that there are enough international fingers in this bitter soup. If a state-sponsored entity is deploying its resource to defeat another states security... I'm thinking ....

Is it not evident that this is the cruelest form of human theater, enacted and endured to produce nothing tangible? This warring is utterly pointless. It satisfies the most ugly aspects of our cultures and precious biases, while simultaneously diminishing humanity as a whole. But there are those who "head" is always there - rationalizing why we must war.

War is entirely self-serving, and those who strive to war take advantage of the most extreme form of social parasitism ... made palatable with advertising and the manipulation of the public's perception; from platitudes and 'produced' information - rather than what is real.

People... can't live with them, and you can't live without them.... go figure.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

WOW that was insane.

So glad I got to see that.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

with time release virus for good measure.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I thought hacking was illegal worldwide.
a reply to: PatriotGames2

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
ok i have one question: why do firms of any sort allow internet access to networks containing sensitive information or controlling such things as traffic lights, train rail switches ATC systems or similar things? you cannot hack a system that is isolated from the web except with an insider with clearance for access. everybody has known for decades that industrial espionage and sabotage via the internet are real threats. yet we have american defense firms and similar firms all over the world connecting to the web with low level users not checked for thumb drives and usb or firewire patch cables and cell phones with built in cameras.

you know if anyone would be careful with security operation procedures or internet security it would be the Israelis. but why on earth is it that we still have especially defense contractor firms and infrastructure control system attached to the open web?

i know the us military has a separate tactical internet. so is this sort of announcement a disinfo campaign? or do we really still think some sysop in NORAD needs to be able to cyber from a classified computer system?
edit on 29-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Considering Iron Dome is only effective against relatively slow moving rockets and missiles like SCUDs, i imagine this is not being seen as too much of an issue. Its not like the system is capable of stopping an incoming ICBM or even a modern cruise missile. Also considering the level of espionage Israel is responsible for along with any other nation for that matter should it be any wonder thing like this take place?

edit on 30-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

If the Israelis (or any military for that matter) are stupid enough to have sensitive info such as this tied to the interwebs and not on some stand alone system then they shouldn't bitch, moan, complain or call foul.

Suck it up!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm sure we're gonna see some funny labels on whatever copy they come out with, hehe.

top topics

join