It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Awards Ventura $1.8M In Defamation Case

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I believe Kyle lied about being in New Orleans after Katrina and lied about the gas station shootings, there's nothing to back up his story.

The bar fight happened. Many people in the NSW community saw it happen, and have been vocal about it.

So Kyle makes up stuff about killing people, but the bar fight happened? According to the guy who said at trial he had had over 15 drinks? Or the other completely sodden 'witnesses' none of whom could agree on a location for what they saw?

What we have here is a division of hero worship. Kyle was a hero because he was good at shooting people from afar, in safety, and liked the kind of tall tales that come out of drinking too much.

Ventura is a non-hero to that same crowd, because he points out that the government is completely corrupt and he sometimes wears his hair or beard differently.

Read the commentary coming out of the Texas area newspapers and websites after this verdict, and see what's wrong with this country. Also quite instructive in why the Pentagon never runs out of cannon fodder for their undeclared wars, or why hapless countries the world over are not safe from U.S. invasions, bombs, bullets and now the even more popular and incredibly cowardly drone killings. I betcha the same part of the country has the largest number of households with a triangular flag box and a destroyed family inhabiting it.... some people never learn.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: oldetimehockey4

If Ventura were a real man, he would have dropped everything once Kyle died, that's called "class." You should look it up.

You should do some looking up yourself. Jesse was going to drop the lawsuit but other Seals told him not to drop the suit. The reason they gave for this was because they were fed up with this generation of Seals stabbing each other in the back to make a buck which is just what Kyle did.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: schuyler

So you're saying the laws changed just for Jesses?

I've never heard of the 11 out of 12 civil case standard being changed mid-trial "because the jurors reached an impasse." to a lesser standard. Have you? Has this ever happened before? I don't know myself, but if you can discover that this is standard procedure please let us know. I also don't know that it was changed "just" for Jesse, but it WAS changed "for Jesse's trail." That's a fact.

Now put yourself in the place of the defendant. Let's just do a hypothetical and pretend it was Jesse on defense here. We have a trial going and everyone thinks it's going well and the jury comes back and says they have reached an impasse. The crowd here jumps to the conclusion that Jesse is about to be found innocent and goes wild. Yay, Jesse!

Jesse is innocent! Ha ha on all you losers!

Oops, just a minute. Because the jury cannot agree, we're going to change the rules. Guess what?

Jesse is guilty! Boo! The crowd breathes contempt. This is justice?

What would you think then? How would this thread react? Well, you know how this thread would react. We'd be hearing about the blatant miscarriage of justice, the American police state. TPTB that "got" Jesse and punished him for his uncovering conspiracies. The list would go on.

But it goes the other way and you guys are just as happy as larks proclaiming that "justice has been served." What's wrong with this picture? It tells me you don't give one whit about "justice." You're willing to support this travesty just because it favors your beloved Jesse. It's not about justice to you; it's about winning, even if you have to change the rules in the middle of the game. In ANY other context you'd all be proclaiming how unfair this is, but now you;re cheering.

And that sucks.
edit on 7/31/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
She was married to a mass murderer who was proud of his killings, started a business with the phrase 'sometimes violence does solve problems' and called the people he blew away, who were only protecting their country against invaders, 'subhumans'.

April 2001, Minneapolis Star Tribune quotes Ventura's opinion on hunting; "Until you have hunted men, you haven't hunted yet."

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

hosted.ap.org...

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- A jury has awarded former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura $1.8 million in his lawsuit against the estate of "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle. The federal jury in St. Paul found Tuesday that the 2012 best-selling book libeled Ventura in describing a bar fight in California in 2006. Kyle wrote that he decked a man later identified as Ventura after the man allegedly said the Navy SEALs "deserve to lose a few."

Congrats Jesse!

Many here on ATS called him disgusting for going through with his lawsuit but a jury of peers saw differently.

Kyle was telling the truth.

Kyle insisted in sworn testimony videotaped before he was killed at a Texas gun range last year that his story was accurate. The jury disagreed Tuesday, giving Ventura a potentially hefty windfall if it stands.

And he is no longer present to argue his case.

Of the 1.8 Million awarded, insurance covers 500k, leaving the Widow 1.3 Million dollars to pay.

Chris Kyle served his country well and died trying to rehabilitate PTSD vets. Ventura sued the widow of a dead Navy Seal..

I don't see any reason to congratulate Jesse Ventura..

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Uh, I'm not sure why you think it went to wounded warriors...he talked about that org a lot but has no records of donating anything substantial to them...tax records ftw bro.

The dude organized WW outings, that's it. WW paid for those outings.

a reply to: LiberLegit

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yes, that is normal procedure for civil cases and happens more often than not.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You know he asked the wife to remove the story...she refused. She deserved to be sued for wanting to continue profit streaming from a lie.

a reply to: oldetimehockey4

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Truth? Let's deny ignorance please. He's been caught in major lies already and his story was full of holes. The biggest hole for me is that Kyle claimed the police were called after knocked out Jesse but there's no police report or any police backing his story.

Bottom line is, Jesse won. The publishers insurance paid for Jesses losses but feel free to post a source that says they only paid 500k. Even if your claims are true I'm sure the widow will still be fine with her millions of dollars.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Being that Jesse was never in a war who knows what the context of that quote was, unless you have the link to the article.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I'm not a lawyer and I don't follow court rules as a hobby so...

You're clearly just someone who has something against Ventura and are upset he won his lawsuit. No need to continue with " what if" situations because it's over. Time for you to move on.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Jesse Ventura For President?

Eh, it was like a battle of the douches really, one just got themselves killed before the other.

Ventura... IDK use to tolerate him then he just became annoying/comical... Am I the only one that feels that way?

And who doesnt love life-long tag team relationships?!
edit on 1-8-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Annoying and comical? Well having a sense of humor is great but I've never found him annoying. Not when he's on Howard Stern, Alex Jones, or the MSM. How and why do you find him annoying?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Truth? Let's deny ignorance please. He's been caught in major lies already and his story was full of holes. The biggest hole for me is that Kyle claimed the police were called after knocked out Jesse but there's no police report or any police backing his story.

You appear confused....

The ruling remains controversial as 11 witnesses were presented testifying in support of Kyle's account, stating that Ventura did have an altercation with Kyle in the bar. However, the judge instructed the jurors that "they weren't charged with determining whether Ventura was punched, but rather whether he was defamed by the remarks Kyle attributed to him.

en.wikipedia.org...

This ruling did not determine the truth of what happened, but rather if Jesse Ventura was defamed

11 Witnesses...
And cops not filing a report for a dust up at a bar is not unusual...more so with the participants involved.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Pa reply to: Indigo5

Confused? I think not. All 11 witnesses and Kyles testimony couldn't win the law suit.

Please, stop making assumptions. You assume the police wouldn't waste their time? If the police were called it would have been Jesse they would have talked to since Kyle ran away like a little girl, according to his story. A former governor was just assaulted and you assume neither Jesse nor the police would file anything because this happened in a bar? Embrace ignorance more. We're done here because I can't defend against such nonsense.

You don't like Jesse, sorry to hear it.
edit on 1-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Indigo, the problem is that the witness statement were wildly inconsistent - some had Ventura wearing a Hawaiian shirt, some had him getting punched outside in the parking lot, other said inside the bar, some said it was a verbal altercation only, others admitted they only heard Kyle claim he hit Ventura after the party left McP's for another bar, and so on.

To me, this whole affair reeks of another of Kyle's pathological lies, when he met up with his buddies in the other bar after leaving McP's he fed them a line of BS about how he 'decked Ventura,' and from there that lie took on a life of its own.

Remember this is the same Kyle that told national media he shot dead two carjackers in Texas and shot people during hurricane Katrina as part of a Blackwater op. BS, BS, and more BS. The big difference with his Ventura BS is that his lie had a real impact on a living person who had the ability to take legal action to expose the lie.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Remember this is the same Kyle that told national media he shot dead two carjackers in Texas and shot people during hurricane Katrina as part of a Blackwater op. BS, BS, and more BS. The big difference with his Ventura BS is that his lie had a real impact on a living person who had the ability to take legal action to expose the lie.

His friends were also wildly drunk...
Also...
While you might have read about Michael Mooney (Journalist) saying the the car jacker incident smelled fishy

And then there were his stories — some of which smelled fishy. “There were a lot of things he told people that are really unverifiable,” journalist Michael J. Mooney, who wrote a book on Kyle, told The Washington

You might not be up to date either..

Michael Mooney: Now that the story is coming out in other places, though, it needed to be confirmed. So consider this story confirmed from the man himself.

Postfrontburner.dmagazine.com...

On Katrina..He did not say he participated, he said he knew guys that claimed to have been there...which as horrific as it sounds, is possible.. Dozens of bodies were recovered after the hurricane with gunshot wounds and remain open investigations.

So I can say this...I know people well..as in plural and for my whole life...who have worked closely with and knew Chris Kyle very well. They live on the fringes, a nether-world of sorts where the gov treats them differently, ex-seals black-ops/blackwater/private contractors etc. "pipe hitters" and have stories similar to Chris's that you would doubt if you did not know them well. On the day he died, I spent time talking to a good friend who Chris Kyle had recruited and mentored (Sniper) as he cried like a baby.

I did not know Chris Kyle personally, but from what I do know, yes he had bravado and talked a lot...he occasionally embellished a story over beers, but did not fabricate.

What to say...sit around a table drinking beer with a bunch of these guys...ex-seal, ex-blackwater, contracting around the world for the US gov. and the stories they tell would make your jaw drop open. I never bring my moral judgment to those conversations and never repeat a word of it. In those scenarios I am a friend first, not a judge or commentator. You would freak out if you knew the things our government has had these men do. Give it another decade, when the government is less likely to come after them and you will see some of drip out in books etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Given her widow must have known Kyle to be a sociopathic liar, she should expected from the beginning of the lawsuit to have to give up some of her ill-gotten gains. I'm really not a fan of the family of someone who has killed hundreds of people, one at a time, to having much money any way.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Annoying and comical? Well having a sense of humor is great but I've never found him annoying. Not when he's on Howard Stern, Alex Jones, or the MSM. How and why do you find him annoying?

Fret not, he's no where as annoying as Kyle was.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

But why? What do you find annoying? His political and or conspiracy views?

Kyle and his crusade against Ventura is what annoyed me, especially his interview on the Opie & Anthony show.
edit on 1-8-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join