It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party townhall meeting erupts as TX Congressman urges compassion

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: neo96

Like calling those kids 'refugees'.

What would you call them?

It would be nice to see what the conditions are in their 'home' countries are.

That would go along way in making the pro 'refugee' crowds argument.

Still doesn't answer the question. What do you call these kids? If not refugees, which you already poopood on the last page.

Let's keep the buses going straight up into Canada where y'all can take care of them and pay for their schooling, medical care, free housing and food, and then let us know what Canadians call them.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stuyvesant
This is a great thread. It took me a while to read through it all, but it was worth it. Definitely lots of emotion, and a good range of issues brought up. Here's my take:

1. In previous eras of *legal* immigration, there was a positive assimilation which took place; early immigrants to this country were from cultures that [by and large] had no conflict with American values and society. These immigrants learned the language, were enthusiastic about the opportunities America provided, and thrived.

2. In our current era of *legal* immigration, the positive assimilation isn't happening [much]. Now, a large portion of legal immigrants are coming to America with backgrounds hostile to American values and society. These immigrants are not assimilating; they alienate themselves, are disengaged largely from American culture, and often even work to subvert that culture from within with destructive intent.

3. *Illegal* immigration is happening at a level that can rightly be viewed as invasion. These should all be deported.

THANK YOU. Well said. Why the hell do I have do be culturally sensitive IN MY OWN COUNTRY?? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

It's all just a part of that fundamental changing of America we were promised.

Now every one of us can put ourselves out so others never feel the least bit offended at all.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

You were talking about what used to be.

It used to be and it still is something that may be remedied by filling out paperwork and paying a fine. Kinda hard to say that something was understood when there is a provision of law that states otherwise.
edit on 31-7-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MrCynic

True dat. God forbid that an illegal immigrant be told that, if Uncle Sugar is allowing them to stay, that they should at least learn some of our language.

I don't give rat's gluteal fold if somebody is offended by what I say. In fact, when people are offended by cold, hard facts, that says more about them then it does about me.

It's all about assimilation, baby, and they just do NOT want to assimilate They have explained why. They feel this was originally part of Mexico, so as far as they're concerned, it's their land originally, not ours. There's the problem in a nutshell.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Not true, 8 CFR 1245.11 lays out the requirements for border jumpers and those who overstay visas to gain lawful permanent resident status.

a reply to: daskakik
That does not really Apply to what is known as Border Jumpers.
Go to, Title 8 CFR 1245.11 and you'll find your definition about half way down in H. section for a non immigrant.
Next, I'll attach part of an article and a link that explains that illegals can not file for a green card.
Unless of-course they marry or serve in the military or the have a relative that served in the military..

The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRAIRA) probably has had the greatest impact on illegal immigrants today. Of notable importance, IIRIRA established the rules affecting eligibility for persons in the US to obtain a green card by establishing a difference between persons who entered legally and persons who entered illegally by replacing the term “entry” with the term “lawful admission” in the law.

Furthermore, this law established bars of inadmissibility to persons who are present in the US illegally. For persons in the US who have been present illegally for a period of more than 180 days, but less than year, there is a three-year bar to their reentry. For persons who have been physically present in the US for more than one year, there is a ten-year bar to their reentry. If a person leaves the US after being illegally present for certain periods of time, they will not be able to return to the US for significant period of time.

Consequently, IIRAIRA does not allow a person who is illegally present in the US to adjust status (apply for a green card) here, unless he or she entered legally and is the immediate relative of a US citizen. An immediate relative is a parent, spouse or child under the age of 21. If filing for a green card under another basis, except as a battered spouse, the applicant must return to the US Embassy of the home country for an immigrant visa appointment. However, because of the three- and ten-year bars, an applicant would be barred from returning to the US for a significant period of time, if ever, making a trip abroad for an immigrant visa appointment futile.

In order to allow illegal immigrants to adjust status in the US, on December 21, 2000, President Clinton signed the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act (LIFE) into law, extending Section 245(i) of the INA. The LIFE Act provided that if a visa petition or alien labor certification was filed on behalf of a beneficiary on or before April 30, 2001 and that the beneficiary was physically present in the US on December 21, 2000, the beneficiary could pay a penalty fee of $1,000.00 and adjust status in the US rather than returning to the US Embassy of the home country for an immigrant visa appointment, thereby avoiding the three- and ten-year bars.

If, for example, a person entered the US illegally, was not physically present in the US on December 21, 2000, or did not have a visa petition filed on or before April 30, 2001, he or she is ineligible to file for your green card unless the law changes.

However, if a person entered the US with a valid visa and overstayed his or her visa, whether it is five days or five years or fifty years, and that person is the immediate relative of a US citizen, such as the parent of a US citizen over 21, spouse of a US citizen, or child under 21 of a US citizen, then she can immediately file for adjustment of status. The LIFE Act had no bearing on eligibility to file for a green card.

Link

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

There has been an understanding for some time now, that by crossing the border without permission was illegal.

And being here in that manner was illegal.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

You said that it couldn't be done by "jumping the border" but it could be done that way, even if the entry was illegal.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua
Established in 1996.

What was the SOP before that.

macman was talking about some type of understanding from the past and I don't think the laws reflect that, even if it was/is what the average american believes.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Established in 1996.

What was the SOP before that.

macman was talking about some type of understanding from the past and I don't think the laws reflect that, even if it was/is what the average american believes.

Here is a Brief history for you, There was never a time that you could become Legal from being an illegal with out Amnesty.

Many illegal aliens also use the lure of “birthright citizenship,” (a/k/a “anchor babies”) to circumvent U.S. immigration laws and gain permanent residency, if not citizenship. This is a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution that grants U.S. citizenship on those born on American soil, including children of illegal aliens. Illegal immigrants know that the odds are low that U.S. immigration authorities will deport them, if they have a child who is an American citizen (and who as a bonus also qualifies for taxpayer-funded benefits).

Since the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, Congress has passed seven amnesties:

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for over 2.7 million illegal aliens

2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens

3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994

4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America

5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti

6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens

7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens

The largest of these amnesties was the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) which amnestied about 3 million illegal aliens. This law was supposed to be a compromise -- an attempt to finally limit illegal immigration through strengthened border security and increased immigration enforcement against employers -- combined with amnesty for the millions of illegal workers in the United States. Illegal immigrants who had resided in the U.S. for five years and met other conditions received temporary legal status, which could be later upgraded to citizenship.

President Ronald Reagan approved this “path to citizenship” amnesty due to what was believed to be a relatively small illegal immigrant population. Unlike many current politicians and amnesty proponents, Reagan called this what it was: amnesty. Unfortunately, there was widespread document fraud and the number of illegal aliens seeking amnesty far exceeded expectations. Most importantly, there was no political will to enforce the law against employers. The 1986 IRCA amnesty failed and actually led to millions of more people entering the United States illegally.

While President Bill Clinton made some efforts to combat illegal immigration during the 1990s, the problem remained. In 1996 the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 was passed. Still, leaders from Central American and Caribbean nations relied heavily on untaxed remittances sent back to their countries from the United States, and worried that Clinton would support mass deportations. While at least paying lip service to enforcement of laws, Clinton assured these leaders that there would be no mass deportations. There were about 7 million illegal aliens residing in the U.S. when he left office.

The eight years of President George W. Bush’s administration saw a marked increase in illegal immigration and a drop in immigration enforcement throughout much of his tenure. For example, the number of illegal aliens arrested in workplace cases fell from nearly 3,000 in 1999 to 445 in 2003, with the number of criminal cases against employers during this period falling from 182 to four. Not surprisingly, by 2005, there were an estimated 10-20 million illegal aliens living in the United States. Even at the end of 2007 after the Bush administration’s enforcement crackdown had been underway; only 92 criminal arrests of employers had taken place, in an economy that, according to the Washington Post, includes 6 million businesses that employ more than 7 million illegal foreign workers.

Despite the failure of past amnesties and the fact that these increase illegal immigration, Bush repeatedly pushed mass legalization (amnesty) schemes for illegal immigrants using the well-worn line that they “are doing jobs Americans will not” or “are not” doing. One scheme was the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act 2007 which was defeated by widespread popular opposition.

Linky
edit on 1-8-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I know people that did and your quote even says "Many illegal aliens also use the lure of “birthright citizenship,” (a/k/a “anchor babies”) to circumvent U.S. immigration laws and gain permanent residency, if not citizenship.", which seems to agree.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

a reply to: muse7

No one is advocating giving these people free homes or giving them employment. You should really stop making up stories.

Yeah I agree!

Some people need to stop making up stories.

How many countries exist in South America ?

And other countries in Central America ?

And they literally have gone out of their way to get here.

Interesting little fact don't ya think?

i think they all just want a ride to canada.

we just assume they wanted to come to the US.

D'OH!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

What would you call them?

hopefully canadian.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: TexasSeabee

It all stinks of an intended scenario, but I'm just not sure by whom, and no amount of public support for sending them back can keep up with the cost to do so and in the rate of border crossing. At this point, it seems to be not about what Americans want or what the law says, but how to handle the problem now that it's here--and keep it politically correct because we're close to election season. It's actually quite sickening to think that either party would use these people as pawns, but it's not exactly unexpected.

ok, let's address this "intended scenario".

50,000 kids sneak all the way up through mexico to the US. lol.

good thing they weren't al-kyda!

anyway, everyone is surprised! even obama! wow!

where is all our eyes in the skys?

no one saw these kids and people leaving their countries and going through mexico?
no one dropped a dime to tell the US, "hey, i think the border is gonna get busy"
are the coyote's and cartels that good?

forget the dam reasons for coming.

naw, they knew it way before hand. facilitated it.

2014 elections coming up, maybe it's a hail mary from the dems?

make the right look heartless? sure.
just read the thread.

i can't imagine the amount of tears shed by the left for the pali kids, border kids, christian kids, inner city kids and all the other kids around the world.

welcome to america coz Kids r US!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
I know people that did and your quote even says "Many illegal aliens also use the lure of “birthright citizenship,” (a/k/a “anchor babies”) to circumvent U.S. immigration laws and gain permanent residency, if not citizenship.", which seems to agree.

Yes, but you appeared to be talking about one type of illegal that jumped the border, not an illegal that had a baby and in my mind is still an illegal.
Sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Coming to America and having a baby so you can gain a green card is not right.
Since you changed the rules of the information you wanted and now you throw out this Anchor Baby Crap and the People You Know!
I'm done with you.You didn't want information on how to become legal.
edit on 1-8-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

hahaha! beat me to it!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I'm in Illinois... You might want to look at this:
ballotpedia.org...

All good on the surface, seems politically correct, more fair, less discriminatory? Everything hunk-dory, right?

Thing is, anyone they're letting in now unchecked is getting a free pass to vote here a couple years down the road. The new law waters down all the checks and balances for vote fraud to the point of uselessness. Probably too late for here, but if I were elsewhere I'd watch out for this.

Also guess what state is taking in a lot of these "kids" with a free ride from the border? I'm sure it can't be too hard to figure out.

So when we've finally figured out enough to start doing something about the craptastic 2-party system by the rules, they'll have the voting base rigged. Game, set, match... Right in front of us. Nobody doing jack. Meh.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Probably not surprising...but I couldn't disagree with the OP more. We are a nation in crisis. Employment, in-fighting, a President that breaks the law or doesn't enforce it, hate, murder, poverty, etc. We are not the country we once were. We are hurting and are still sick with the illness. We haven't even begun to recover from this illness and now we have yet another infection attacking us.

In a perfect world where we have everything, where everyone is housed and fed...maybe. But we are down and in danger of dying. This latest attack on us is just sealing our demise. WE CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE! And therefore...we must stop yet another attack on the "body USA".

If anything...think of it this way. If it weren't for what we were before...no one would be coming here to begin with. And we need to heal and thrive again before we can help again. So...it is in EVERYONE'S best interest that we heal so later we may be able to help these people. But taking on more weight while we are ailing will only kill us quicker and then we will not exist to help.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: guohua
Sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm not talking about right or wrong, I'm talking about the existance of provisions of law in regards to illegals getting a change of status.

You didn't want information on how to become legal.

Right, I didn't need whatever version you are pushing, when I know the reality.
edit on 1-8-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Well said, very wise words.

To summarize your words, if I may.

Let us not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

To do so is just stupid, yet, in the name of greed, this is just what someone is trying to do. No country can withstand this type of onslaught and the video a few pages back, here, www.abovetopsecret.com... in NightStar's post explain brilliantly the problem that has no solution.

Other countries need to fix there own problems rather than jumping ship, just as the US needs to fix its problems.

P

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join