It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tea Party townhall meeting erupts as TX Congressman urges compassion

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:50 PM

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: smithjustinb

I won't be looking for "understanding" in a shtf scenario. I'll be looking for food and ammo.

And my husband and I will have BOTH.

And if I can approach people and am able to speak THEIR language, I will have more allies than you will if you refuse to even try. People, in a shtf scenario will still band together. Those with ammo and access to food/knowledge of hunting, gardening, foraging, fishing, building, camping, sewing, cooking, first aid/medicinal plants, etc. will be the survivors. You come to my camp "looking for food and ammo" with nothing to offer in return? No skills, no literacy in my language or culture, no locations in mind, can't even build a fire?...sorry - you WILL be on your own. All your "economic security" will get you nowhere except laughed out of the place.

Now, how many of these youths coming up here have skills?

LOTS OF THEM, if not all. Are they "lazy"? NO. (Have you ever worked with Mexican and Central American people? Side by side with them? They work HARD.)

They are desperate. They already ARE survivors.
You would do well to not act as though your fancy-ass house in your gated community and your bank account is going to be worth much in that scenario.

Good luck.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the fact that these children are here illegally and need to be sent back with the least amount of american resources expended as possible.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:59 PM

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: guohua

According to GWB and the law they are indeed refugees.

Come-On,,, You know as well as I do, That's a Very Shaky Stool your standing on.
That Law pertained to the Human Trafficking not kids, mother, teenagers and soon to be mothers walking up to the Border Patrol and surrendering because They Want To Be Caught!

Title II – Combating Trafficking in Persons in the United States
Enhancing Penalties for Trafficking Offenses
18. Removes/Lowers Knowledge Requirement of Minor Victims’ Age: Under previous
law, federal prosecutors bringing cases under the TVPA trafficking of minors provision
(18 USC § 1591) were required to prove that the defendants had knowledge of their
minor victims’ age. Under the Act, no such proof requirement will exist for any
defendant who had “reasonable opportunity to observe” the trafficked person – a
condition applicable to all but a few traffickers – and prosecutors will only need to prove
that the trafficker knew or recklessly disregarded that the victim was caused to engage in
a commercial sex act. For persons such as offsite brothel landlords who may have not
had reasonable opportunity to observe the victims, the Act lowers the proof requirement
standard to “reckless disregard” of the victims’ minor status, thus permitting ancillary
supporters of trafficking to be convicted if they were willfully blind to the minor status of
the victims engaged in commercial sex. The provision – which still carries a mandatory
minimum sentence of 10 to 15 years and requires no proof of fraud, force, or coercion for
convictions – will enhance the ability to prosecute sex traffickers of minors, including
such ancillary supporters as brothel landlords. Section 222
19. Enhances Sentencing Guidelines for “Alien Harboring”: Under the Act, the
sentencing guidelines for “alien harboring” are directed to be heightened if the harboring
is in furtherance of prostitution – a conviction that can take place without proof of fraud,
force, or coercion against the victim. Conviction under this section will occur if the
trafficker knows or is recklessly blind to the victim’s illegal immigrant status. The
provision will effectively make sex traffickers of illegal aliens criminally liable for alien
harboring on a per se basis, i.e. without requiring proof of force, fraud or coercion.
Section 222
20. Clarifies Preying on Victims’ Addictions Violates the TVPA: The Statement clarifies
that preying on a victim’s drug use or addictions (whether pre-existing or created by the
traffickers) can, in and of itself, form the basis for convicting traffickers under the TVPA.
The Statement makes clear that it is criminal for traffickers to utilize “nonviolent and
psychological coercion”; the provision will thus enhance the ability to prosecute
traffickers who exploit their victims’ addictions or use drugs to facilitate coercion.

21. Lowers Knowledge Standard of Proof to Reckless Disregard in Sex Trafficking:
With respect to sex trafficking through force, fraud, or coercion, the Act lowers the
standard of proof from “knowing” to “reckless disregard” on all matters requiring
knowledge of force, fraud, or coercion being used to cause a person to engage in
commercial sex. This provision will permit the prosecution of persons who willfully
refuse to examine whether victims are subject to coercion and abuse. Thus, participants
in the commercial sex industry will no longer escape convictions by willfully ignoring
indicia of abuse of the persons they traffic. Section 222
22. Criminalizes Recruiting Foreign Workers Under False Pretenses: A new

Yes, you can continue reading if you want.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:59 PM
a reply to: smithjustinb

This thing is sort of like the Cuban Boatlift in PG. Follow the Gold Yellow Brick Road!

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:12 PM
a reply to: guohua

I gotch ya and thank you for your service as well.

Before my father passed last year it was fortunate enough that he came down to see me and he wanted the full tour of central america which I did my best. He was once part of SF A-team and got his combat status for being part of the Cuban Missile crises they didn't count any of his time in Vietnam because it hadn't been declared.

When we were traveling through Honduras on our way to Utilla he commented as well about how there had been very few times in his life that he felt completely exposed and in imminent danger like he felt there. Now he had never been there before but he was one of the wisest men I have ever known so even though he was a from a bit before your time that may give you an idea of what it is like there now.

BTW there are many places I have been where as you said it may be a bit dangerous to be out at night alone but that place was dangerous to be with a group in broad daylight. Forget night time when the sirens went off at dusk everyone who wasn't armed to the teeth headed behind closed doors which were also behind some kind of metal pull down door as well. Even the hotels were completely closed after dark. No one in or out.

I never did find a grocery store in Tegucigalpa because all the ones I went to were burnt out husks.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:16 PM
It looks to me like you're all more interested in going over Old Talking Points and Trying To Push Your Agenda Off On Everyone That, It's Only The White, Christian Conservative that is Against allowing the Mass influx of illegals before the ones who've gone through the trouble of Respecting The Laws Of their New Country.

It's NOT!

Many, Many People I know and treat are Hispanic, Vietnamese and of-Course Chinese and from Germany and South America.
These people all have their Citizenship or long term Green Cards. They and their spouses did it the Right Way, with Love in their hearts and Respect For America.
Yes, like me the Naturalized Citizens can Vote and it's not for the Amnesty People we'll Vote For.
I'm done with this thread, you don't listen, some one here said, They'd leave for a Better Life To if it got bad here, Well I'm here to tell you, If you don't get your Collective Heads Out Of Your Collective A@@, If will get That Bad!
You expect them to Change and be like you?
Try going into one of their neighborhoods that you know for a fact is illegal,,,What does it look like, do you get Stared at?

edit on 30-7-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:18 PM
I have not seen any coverage of wars in Central America. So I do not understand what wars these children are fleeing. They are put up to come here by their relatives because they know Obama will not do anything. It is no worse down there now than it was when Bush was president. They know they can take advantage of Obama and they could not with Bush.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM

a reply to: neo96

You reap what you sow?

i have a problem with this statement of yours, because:

1. american tax payers have been paying hand over fist for charitable programs and safety nets of various kinds, for nearly 100 years.

2. these taxes have gotten bigger and bigger, soon resembling this song

yet the problem isn't solved because too much is skimmed off the top to fund world conquest, artificially keeping the poor stuck in a vicious cycle that is then blamed on the people paying taxes. you have to stand in AWE of the guys that managed to convince people that the folks who are working and giving their money to help them, are their actual enemy. i mean that takes some fancy ass footwork

if we are to reap what we sow, we're all in for a huge windfall, but dare i say it, it looks like they are going to try to pull here, what the marxists are doing in south africa: when the poor complain that the system isn't working for them, they just point at anybody with money and blame it on them.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:55 AM
I know mine isn't the popular position, but there is another course we could be taking with this problem.

First, we should do something with them because of what we need to do second. The children should be kept separate - and I mean completely separate. None of this bringing them into population centers and renovating old school buildings for them. School buildings that, I might add, are good enough for our kids - but must be retrofitted with new fire suppression systems for the illegals (yes, they're not here legally, so they're illegals)

Second, we need to stop interfering around the world and focus on the problems in our own backyard. Namely, the drug cartels south of the border. When the drug running turns into what it is now, when the cartels openly execute opposition in the streets and attack our border patrol, we need to intervene. If we're going to impose our will on another country, why not do it where it can make a serious impact. Start at our southern border and work our way south until our continent is safe.

When we bring peace, safety and prosperity back to our southern neighbors, their people won't be streaming north. Heck, it would probably pay off quickly if we did it right. Identify the cartel assets and the corrupt politicians, eliminate them, rinse and repeat. Eventually the cartels would lose enough power that the people themselves could take over and actually have a chance of winning.

When it's safe, send the children back to where they belong - their countries of origin and their families.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:06 AM
a reply to: undo

Yea we are getting tooled by a major propaganda machine. Its like how much carbon and junk the Chines are dumping into the environment but Al Gore wants me and you to pay tax on a carbon footprint. You know its directly my fault, I need to do something ect.

Now these kids are Jane and John Doe americans fault. Like we haven't given and given and given to every major natural disaster for who knows how many years out of pocket and tax money. And who cant count the ways? Who could possibly count all the support money that comes out of the US as government aid and out of pocket Joe citizen?

I would like to take some of these flapper con men and punch them in the mouth over this resent guilt tripping. Most be a lot of money in it.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:30 AM
a reply to: TexasSeabee

Sorry for the late response, Texas--

The problem IS the divide--there are truly people in America, some being politicians in high offices, who disagree with our immigration laws. They want them changed, but know that it would never get through congress, so there are these (imo) fabricated crises that come up from time to time and there is an effort to side-step the laws and grant amnesty to a bunch of people.

There are plenty of investigative reporters out there telling stories about some of the immigrants are told that they have to vote democrat or get arrested and deported (not sure I fully consider that posibility hogwash), and others relaying that the immigrants were told they could just come in and get housed with their family members already here, etc., etc. It seems that something or someone has created these comments all at once, or else how can we explain so many crossing the border at relatively the same time with the same stories being told?

It all stinks of an intended scenario, but I'm just not sure by whom, and no amount of public support for sending them back can keep up with the cost to do so and in the rate of border crossing. At this point, it seems to be not about what Americans want or what the law says, but how to handle the problem now that it's here--and keep it politically correct because we're close to election season. It's actually quite sickening to think that either party would use these people as pawns, but it's not exactly unexpected.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:44 AM

It all stinks of an intended scenario, but I'm just not sure by whom
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I don't know if it was intentional, but I blame the media and to some extent politicians. Form day 1, since Obama brought up immigration reform, the media has been shouting from the rooftops that Obama will grant amnesty to illegal aliens; words in which he has NEVER uttered. When foreigners hear the words America, immigrants and amnesty used in the same sentence; they decide to make the trek to the border. Now, illegal immigration has always been an issue, but the media has amplified the problem in recent years.

Sometimes freedom of the press can cause burdensome problems, but that is the price we pay to protect their right to lie.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:09 PM
a reply to: LeatherNLace

The problem is, you don't know who is lying until after the fact, and since the collective of America has the memory of a goldfish (sorry, goldfish), it seems to have zero consequence in the long term if someone or something lies. And even then, if America does retain a memory for longer than 88 minutes (goldfish), they're too complacent and apathetic to research what they're hearing to even see if it is true or not, so even half of the remembered things are a lie or half-truth anyhow.

Now you got me ranting...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:21 PM
"Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses..."

This meant something when America wasn't outsourcing its work to countries that pay pennies for labor.

As long as we can't take care of our own, we sure can't take care of anyone else's.

And that's the hard truth.

I feel for those kids, but they aren't our responsibility.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:24 PM

Federal Income taxes are at a low point. Do some research on it.

edit on 31-7-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:27 PM
a reply to: CryHavoc

It also used to be understand by everyone that it is a poem, and not on the Statue of Liberty.

It used to also be understood that if you wanted to come to the US, you would do it the LEGAL route, not by jumping borders.

But.....guess that is just expecting too much from people.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:06 PM

Federal Income taxes are at a low point. Do some research on it.

Marginal rates are lower but actual rates due to the removing of the vast majority of tax shelters and loopholes is actually higher. Also, interesting to note that the revenue to the feds has not gone down even though the rates have dropped.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:51 PM

originally posted by: macman
It used to also be understood that if you wanted to come to the US, you would do it the LEGAL route, not by jumping borders.

Not true, 8 CFR 1245.11 lays out the requirements for border jumpers and those who overstay visas to gain lawful permanent resident status.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken, older laws only required proof of having lived in the US for a certain number of years and having kept a clean record.
edit on 31-7-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:05 PM
a reply to: LeatherNLace

I personally suspect and will be watching out for this whole thing being used for one legalized drugs over the threat of an illegal or even simply immigrant invasion.

Remember when the Chines had a cultural revival claiming the British had turned its citizens into opium heads in order to pacify them? All I am pointing out is the claim made of trying to subvert a nation sufficient to control it and bleed it. In North America whiskey, it is claimed, was a major tool used to subvert the tribes or at least get them hooked enough to trade away many things for another drink.

Now we see calls for legalizing drugs in the US for revenue hyped up further with ideas about personal freedom. We are deeply in debt to China. Maybe we are in such dire straits that this is whats driving the call under the banner of revenue enhancement.

And in all seriousness.....legalize meth? Look what crack did to the inner city. I am talking about the aspect of the drugs destruction to lives and societies and its desperate users need to get cash to support the habit. These effects will not lessen with the legalization of certain drugs and in that respect legalizing mary jane is a gateway to destruction.

edit on 31-7-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:46 PM
a reply to: daskakik

Is it or is it now illegal to cross the border?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:05 PM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

People like you crack me up. You wanna see real arrogance, LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

So you're bilingual with two whole wonderful college degrees...bully for you. Whaddaya want, a parade?

I understand their culture VERY well. I am in many of their homes, and am welcomed that are paid for with American tax dollars Yes they are grateful, but they are still taking more than they are putting back in. Guess you flunked basic economics in your effort to be "culturally sensitive".

You assume SO MUCH. I go to school and talk to the kids, I go to the homes and talk to the mothers....but I need a translator, because the Spanish I grew up with was Puerto Rican. There are lot of different kinds of Spanish out here in Texas, including a very old version of Tex Mex and it is very easy to mess up and say something is completely wrong. So I speak English only. In the English language, we have a word called "ILLEGAL"....I guess it's not in your dictionary in either English or Espanol.

I've heard their stories, I get why they came here.....but people like you are like snooty bleeding hearts, judging others because you assume you know. Guess what?
Usted no sabe absolutamente nada que mujer tonta

Enjoy your tamales.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>