It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party townhall meeting erupts as TX Congressman urges compassion

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

My reply is usually something to the effect of, "There aren't enough bilinguals getting their degrees in college, so until that happens, you are stuck with me".

Well, I'm a bilingual with TWO degrees from college....
and I also made it my business (being in social services) to understand their culture. Have you made that effort?
Do you have any idea what their home lives in their country of origin were like? Which 'ranchito' they came from?

Have you ever met one of their mothers...maybe all of 60 years old, who looks like a National Geographic portrait of a starving, arthritic, despondent person of 90? Have you visited their homes once they've arrived? Do you keep your home as clean as they keep theirs?
Arrogance does NOTHING to win the trust of people. Compassion is what works.

Plus, if none of them have offered you a five-pound package of home-made tamales, or invited you over for Christmas Eve, or to a Christening or Quinceanera....or asked you to go with them to the dentist or the pediatric clinic - or to come and talk to them at school, well - you don't know them at all. And that's a shame.

edit on 7/29/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lostinthedarkness
a reply to: muse7

I feel very sad for these people, and for all the Iraqi Christians driven from their home.

But we have homeless families here we have homeless veterans here! Give the new comers a place and let our own brave the elements.

We have veterans denied care and are dying we have seniors and disabled who have to make the choice food or the drugs to keep them alive. We have families on the rez who have no electricity or running water. We have families who have to choose rent utilities or food.

We have many people out of work many gave up finding work and they want to add more to that are looking for work. Our infrastructure is crumbling we have cities becoming ghost towns.

If we cant take care of our own why should we help this multitude of non citizens .

FIX AMERICA FIRST ! Feed cloth and shelter American Citizens first make sure there is no one going with out medical care and have water, heat and electricity .

Then help them. Open our arms to them .

But get our house in order FIRST.

Good lord, You people are too obsessed with whatever talking points you cling on to.

These people are already under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government. They are detained, we have to take care of them, we must provide shelter for them, we must provide them with food and water and basic medical care and evaluations. It's not the "liberal" thing to do, but it's what we must do. Any rational person with a functional frontal lobe would understand this basic concept.

I agree these people should be sent back to wherever they came from, but first they must be processed we must find out where they came from and make the proper arrangements to send them back. Aren't we America? The greatest country on earth? Shouldn't we set an example to the rest of the world on how to deal with humanitarian crises?

I also agree that we must take care of our veterans and homeless, but that's an entirely different issue from this. The immigrants crossing over the border that are caught are under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government. No one is advocating giving these people citizenship or welfare or sending them to resorts.

And let me reiterate, I also agree that we must take care of our own people here and our veterans that are homeless. I think everyone agrees with that.

But I'd like to know, if you are against providing these immigrants with shelter and food, and medical checkups what do you think the Government should do with them?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Good lord, You people are too obsessed with whatever talking points you cling on to.

These people are already under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government. They are detained, we have to take care of them, we must provide shelter for them, we must provide them with food and water and basic medical care and evaluations. It's not the "liberal" thing to do, but it's what we must do. Any rational person with a functional frontal lobe would understand this basic concept.

Would it not be smarter to let the country from which they crossed over from take care of this problem? Why pay the money when we could get Mexico to do it?

I agree these people should be sent back to wherever they came from, but first they must be processed we must find out where they came from and make the proper arrangements to send them back. Aren't we America? The greatest country on earth? Shouldn't we set an example to the rest of the world on how to deal with humanitarian crises?

No. This isn't a humanitarian crisis. This is an illegal immigration crisis. We need to set an example to the rest of the world that we will not tolerate illegal incursions onto our property.

I also agree that we must take care of our veterans and homeless, but that's an entirely different issue from this. The immigrants crossing over the border that are caught are under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Government. No one is advocating giving these people citizenship or welfare or sending them to resorts.

The issue which you brought up was compassion. By being compassionate towards one group, you are being apathetic towards another. In this case, its the veterans and the homeless. It is a relevant point because it points out the hypocrisy of calling opponents apathetic.

And let me reiterate, I also agree that we must take care of our own people here and our veterans that are homeless. I think everyone agrees with that.

Okay, but its not being done. Agenda #1 right now is taking care of these kids and our veterans and homeless are being swept under the rug and treated as secondary. And you're supporting what's being treated as primary. I'd say your priorities are messed up.

But I'd like to know, if you are against providing these immigrants with shelter and food, and medical checkups what do you think the Government should do with them?

Turn the buses around and forget about them.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
These women and children are being trucked in by the thousands, and they are not here to work. They get immediate help with food stamps and TANF, along with medical care and a host of other goodies.

Do your due diligence. Illegals are not eligible for, nor can they lawfully receive food stamps or TANF.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Illegals are not eligible for, nor can they lawfully receive food stamps or TANF.

That is correct. Or Medicaid or Social Security, etc.
Their CHILDREN can qualify, if they (the children) were born here. If the child was BORN HERE, they are an American citizen.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

Thank you for proving to me that you really aren't open to having an honest and rational discussion on this issue.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Thank you for proving to me that you really aren't open to having an honest and rational discussion on this issue.

I asked you a question, not a statement, which you failed to answer. The hypocrisy in this thread is unending. I'm being honest with you. I'm being rational. And I'm open to hearing your answer to my question. You're the one who's failing to offer another counter-point. I'm at least bringing more to the table than, "You're not saying what I want you to say".
edit on 29-7-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

No argument there.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

The majority are not from Mexico, a ounce of research on the topic would bear this out.

edit on 29-7-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

We can't feed 'em But we can damn sure breed 'em. Where is the compassion in that?

It's not just not compassionate, it's stupid.

These same conservatives are constantly attacking abortion and birth control, but they don't want to pay anything to take care of the kids they want to force everyone to have.

We should be giving free birth control to everyone on earth or the whole world will be like Detroit in 50 years.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

I asked you a question, not a statement, which you failed to answer. The hypocrisy in this thread is unending. I'm being honest with you. I'm being rational. And I'm open to hearing your answer to my question. You're the one who's failing to offer another counter-point. I'm at least bringing more to the table than, "You're not saying what I want you to say".

No.

Please go back and read the replies you made in the first page. If those things sound rational to you, then we're not even in the same ball park when it comes to the definition of rationality.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
These women and children are being trucked in by the thousands, and they are not here to work. They get immediate help with food stamps and TANF, along with medical care and a host of other goodies.

Do your due diligence. Illegals are not eligible for, nor can they lawfully receive food stamps or TANF.

That is not true and I've witnessed it first hand. My niece and her family moved here to TX looking for work but needed medical assistance because she was pregnant. They told her it would be two weeks before they sent her a letter to come in and get an appointment for 2 weeks later to fill out the paperwork (she was 8 months pregnant). When asked about emergency assistance she was asked if she was an illegal alien. The police here have picked up illegals that have 1 or 2 children but have 12 fake birth certificates in their purse and drawing benefits on all 12. It may not be legal for them to apply or get benefits but they do. Just like its not legal for them to enter the country but they do.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

The majority are not from Mexico, a ounce of research on the topic would bear this out.

I never said they were. I said, "they crossed over to the US from Mexico". Considering the fact that our only southern neighbor is Mexico, you can understand what I mean. Unless these kids swam from their country of origin.
edit on 29-7-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

My niece and her family moved here to TX looking for work but needed medical assistance because she was pregnant. They told her it would be two weeks before they sent her a letter to come in and get an appointment for 2 weeks later to fill out the paperwork (she was 8 months pregnant).

Is your niece a citizen of the US? Why did she wait for 7 months to get prenatal care?

I don't understand what you're talking about.

Childbirth is considered a "life threatening condition", and that's why immigrants (or ANYONE) are given care, regardless of their economic or national status.

edit on 7/29/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

No.

Please go back and read the replies you made in the first page. If those things sound rational to you, then we're not even in the same ball park when it comes to the definition of rationality.

Whatever your opinion of my rationality, you still haven't answered my question or addressed my response on the subject matter from my previous reply. You've resorted to name calling and personal attacks without basing your claim on any sound argument about the subject matter. Are you going somewhere with this? Because I would like to get back on topic now. But, you'll have to answer my question and reply to my response on topic with more of your opinion on compassion as it relates to immigration. Personal attacks aren't going to get this thread anywhere except maybe a few stars from people who hold the same opinion.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

"Good lord, You people are too obsessed with whatever talking points you cling on to. "

I just love how you take his valid concerns and shrug them off as "Talking Points". I think his concerns are valid 100%. He's not even touching on all the problems this is causing and yet to cause. He is 100% correct we need to take care of our own before we grant blanket amnesty up to 5million people. The administration or anyone who gets on TV or in print and gives these people a reason to come here is complicate in Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation...All the way up to Obama.

I think we all get we need to take care of these people humanely, I don't think anyone is arguing that. But they are breaking the law. Period. This is not how you immigrate to the USA. The children are only like 10-15% of what and who is coming through.. They are being exploited and used as Propaganda to sway the Good Hearted American people, and as a bonus dividing us as a whole even more.

Anyways taking his concerns and giving them a new name does not fly with me. It's almost like when the government takes a problem like say Illegal Aliens and spins it with Refugee. Global Warming is now Climate Change etc

Bottom line is we have had decades to make Central America a better place but the people in Power chose not to. It's violent because the powers that be choose to let it say violent. And in most case's made it worse. We can destroy and rebuild entire nations but we cant seem to help out our neighbors that's the real problem.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

we're not even in the same ball park when it comes to the definition of rationality.

You've got that right.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WhereAreTheGoodguys

Bottom line is we have had decades to make Central America a better place but the people in Power chose not to.

We? Who is "we" who had decades to "make Central America" a better place?
I have no argument against the fact that we have starving people right here - that there are homeless, jobless, desperate people right here....

but they are run out of their camps. It is made "illegal" to feed them - or to allow them to sleep in train or bus stations....
and the conservatives are all about "no birth control! No help from the government!"

When they simply don't understand the adage: "There, but for the Grace of God, go I."

There is PLENTY to go around here. On the entire globe - there is no real reason that ANYONE is going hungry. It is about greed, corporate profits, selfishness, and apathy....

Do we need to take care of our own?
YES! WE DO!!!

And we can ALSO take care of other's own....

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

We? Who is "we" who had decades to "make Central America" a better place?

We meaning American Foreign policy. We waste Trillions on the war on drugs when we could of been investing in these nations, our neighbors, to better their way of life. Its not like we have a good track record in United Fruit.. I mean Central America.

but they are run out of their camps. It is made "illegal" to feed them - or to allow them to sleep in train or bus stations....

No excuse how we treat homeless people I personally think its a travesty. Another failure of Local, State and Federal Government no doubt.

and the conservatives are all about "no birth control! No help from the government!"

I don't think most people give a rats ass about Birth Control one way or the other, My wife might have differing views than mine.. That's just something both sides of the fake 2 party system use as a wedge to divide Americans. To keep their focus off the real issues.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Jesse says it all.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join