It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party townhall meeting erupts as TX Congressman urges compassion

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: moresco

If someone had bother to read the supplied link.

They would have read there WERE LIMITS placed on immigration

The Page Act :

The first federal immigration law and prohibited the entry of immigrants considered as "undesirable" The law classified as "undesirable" any individual from Asia who was coming to America to be a contract laborer strengthen the ban against “coolie” laborers, by imposing a fine of up to $2,000 and maximum jail sentence of one year upon anyone who tried to bring a person from China, Japan, or any oriental country to the United States “without their free and voluntary consent, for the purpose of holding them to a term of service”

Chinese Exclusion Act

Restricted immigration of Chinese laborers for 10 years. Prohibited Chinese naturalization. Provided deportation procedures for illegal Chinese. Marked the birth of illegal immigration (in America).[1] The Act was “a response to racism [in America] and to anxiety about threats from cheap labor [from China].”

Emergency Quota Act

Limited the number of immigrants from any country to 3% of those already in the US from that country as per the 1910 census. “An unintended consequence of the 1920s legislation was an increase in illegal immigration. Many Europeans who did not fall under the quotas migrated to Canada or Mexico, which [as Western Hemisphere nations] were not subject to national-origin quotas; [and] subsequently they slipped into the United States illegally.” [5]

en.wikipedia.org...

Since someone missed the point earlier:

Restrictions on immigrants has been the norm for decades.

Why is it 'totally unacceptable' to place them on those coming from the south of the border?

They are better than the millions of the rest of people from all over the globe that want to come here, and don't get to because some people don't play by the rules?
edit on 29-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: smithjustinb

I believe in American borders and a legal process for becoming an American.

I'm sure the Native Indian population that existed in America before white men came thought exactly the same thing - just before the 'alien immigrants' exterminated them.

Which is part of the reason I'm against illegal immigration. It is a threat to my livelihood.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: smithjustinb

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: smithjustinb

Good Lord...

Don't you understand that both the taxpayer AND the powerless immigrant children who have ended up in the US are the victims here? Have you no conception of that what so ever?

No. If we send these children back with a bare minimum amount of money spent, the American people win. We won't be victims. I'm not following you here.

How primitive and tribal of you.

oo ee oo ah ah ah.

It partly US foreign policy in south America thats made these country crap hole thats forcing them to immigrate. US has some responsibility in the situation.

ching chang wala wala bing bang.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I HOPE you never have children.

What a hypocritical thing to say.

You're trying to tell me I shouldn't have children because I'm against the illegal immigration of other children. That's a very narrow minded perspective. I'm against the illegal immigration of other children because MY children will matter to me more than non-American children. I am fighting the fight to secure an economic future FOR my children. I am doing my children a service. Out of compassion for MY children. I don't give a crap about non-American children- true. But, that doesn't mean I won't care for my own. That was just a hypocritical and narrow minded thing to say.

edit on 29-7-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Think about this: If we allowed these "children" and illegal "aliens" to come into our country, to go to our schools.. to live on our streets.. think of what it would be like... yes i believe children are pure at heart, at a young age.. but they have culture written in their DNA.. this country would look like East L.A from coast to coast... I don't want that...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Asylum from what ?

Just because the White House calls them 'refugees' makes it 'so'.

How about the media go there and show us just exactly what they are 'escaping' from ?

The fact that you just said that shows you have no clue what Jefferson was talking about. I don't know why I keep trying. These conversations fit Einstein's definition of insanity.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Youre not compassionate because you show compassion to illegals. You're uncompassionate because you're not showing compassion to American taxpayers. If you were truly compassionate in this issue, you would be adopting one of these illegals. Otherwise, you're being compassionate toward one group at the expense of another (on either side). Personally, I'm choosing to be compassionate toward my fellow Americans by supporting deportation of non-americans at the expense of being apathetic towards non-Americans. Some of you are choosing to be compassionate towards non-Americans at the expense of Americans. That doesn't make you more compassionate. If you were truly more compassionate, you would adopt and bear the full burden of these illegals.

The, "But their kids" argument will fall out the window in a few years when these children grow up. But, the "I'm a taxpayer" argument will last forever.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here is the so called 'law' that has been cited.

Funny thing here is though no presidents writes their own laws.

William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008

www.state.gov...

i) Additional Measures To Prevent and Deter Trafficking- The President shall establish and carry out programs to prevent and deter trafficking in persons, includin

Funnier thing there as the president has done NOTHING to prevent or deter trafficking.

Which is a violation of the law.

A law that the majorities listed here:

en.wikipedia.org...

Have been labeling 'refugee' without on GD bit of proof.

And have been running the country for the past 6 years.

Take a good look at the House and Senate majorities that WROTE that 'law'.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

The fact that you just said that shows you have no clue what Jefferson was talking about. I don't know why I keep trying. These conversations fit Einstein's definition of insanity.

Yeah well people haven't been citing Jefferson as the justification here.

They have been citing A Bush era law that he never wrote, and was written by the current party holding the senate, and the presidency.

'Refugee'

'Asylum'

Just because they say so.

I can quote Jefferson too.

I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson

www.goodreads.com...

Fits the GD topic so well doesn't it ?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm late to this party, but I have to throw my twelve cents in (adjusted for inflation).

First of all, those who want to talk about the Statue of Liberty and what it says on it....FFS, that was written long ago when people would STILL come through proper channels like Ellis Island and gain legal entry. My parents gained LEGAL entry in the 1950s, my father fought in the Korean war barely knowing English in order to gain naturalization, which he did gladly. The people of those days came here with the hope of earning their way towards a better life. Things are so much more different now it's not even funny. Citizens cannot even find work to support themselves.

Secondly, I find it highly suspicious that the pics I see of the women and children who supposedly walked a thousand miles with nothing but the clothes on their back and a few sorry possessions are FAT. Many of them are just plain fat. This makes zero sense. You can't get that kind of heavy overnight. A few months of eating at a detention center will not do it. These women and children are being trucked in by the thousands, and they are not here to work. They get immediate help with food stamps and TANF, along with medical care and a host of other goodies.

They do NOT assimilate, they have no intention of it. Because I work in social services here in Texas, I've seen illegals here for years who do not speak English, or don't want to. They have an attitude of entitlement which ticks me off. All these folks are costing us way more than what they are willing to put back in to the society which takes them in illegally, lets them get away with breaking our laws, and doesn't do anything but serve them in their native language and continue to support them sitting around watching Univision while their daughters are having children at 14 and 15 years old, same as they do in their country of origin, while they bitch at me that the State of Texas needs to hire more Spanish speakers to serve them, they're tired of having to find somebody who can translate.

My reply is usually something to the effect of, "There aren't enough bilinguals getting their degrees in college, so until that happens, you are stuck with me".

As a first generation American, this whole thing stinks, it's being done on purpose, and it will destroy this country. Refusal to assimilate is maybe the biggest problem with them being here. Expecting freebies while breaking federal laws is another.

Beyond that, it's hard to find compassion for people who look like they've been pigging out for years showing up here acting like they've walked across a whole continent to get here. We're being broken up, losing our identity as a country and a people, and a civil war will ensue from this.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Americans have been pushed, poked, and prodded to the point we are ready to snap at anything else that touches. Humans are animals too no matter how much we want to distance ourselves with that, when injured we snap like any other animal. With jobs not coming back, taxes going up, healthcare nightmares, food and gas prices going up up up, this is just the straw that broke the camels back. People can only act "civilized" for so long. Thank GOD for the religions and bibles that many of us hang on to, because it is the only thing keeping people from breaking completely. That will only last for so long I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7
You people seem to be kind and educated and with your heart in the right place - But I cannot really understand that you do not understand what bad shape our country is in presently and the financial strain it is under and it is going to get worse under this president (the great divider). Those of you who are in favor of bringing in these poor Mexican children, the sick Mexicans carrying diseases (proven), the Mexican criminals, the Mexican gang wanna be, and you cannot understand this? It is simple mathematics - our president is using these children just like another pawn in his misguided mind. This is what our country has received for voting in a president that has no experience. I would go on - but it has beaten to death to the point where it is getting hilarious to even listen to him.

The mathematics = we cannot sustain taking in illegal people who are uneducated - untrained - cannot speak English - no where to live without aid - no income to support themselves to begin with - give them housing - and on and on. Like I said - if those of you who want to save the world - you will destroy what's left of us in the name of good deeds. Send them back - period - let Mexico take care of their own like they have for thousands of years. Please watch this video - this is a common sense 6 minute video with not tricks. If this video does not agree with your good deed heart - then please, by all means take these people into your home and save them from us evil haters - you could at least do that much setting an example for the rest of us. Video below.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Dukesy

The mathematics = we cannot sustain taking in illegal people who are uneducated - untrained - cannot speak English - no where to live without aid - no income to support themselves to begin with - give them housing - and on and on

They don't care.

Hell we can't pay the bills for the people that are already here.

They are being willfully blind to the current state of affairs in this country.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I feel very sad for these people, and for all the Iraqi Christians driven from their home.

But we have homeless families here we have homeless veterans here! Give the new comers a place and let our own brave the elements.

We have veterans denied care and are dying we have seniors and disabled who have to make the choice food or the drugs to keep them alive. We have families on the rez who have no electricity or running water. We have families who have to choose rent utilities or food.

We have many people out of work many gave up finding work and they want to add more to that are looking for work. Our infrastructure is crumbling we have cities becoming ghost towns.

If we cant take care of our own why should we help this multitude of non citizens .

FIX AMERICA FIRST ! Feed cloth and shelter American Citizens first make sure there is no one going with out medical care and have water, heat and electricity .

Then help them. Open our arms to them .

But get our house in order FIRST.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

That was just a hypocritical and narrow minded thing to say.

How was it hypocritical, please?

So - you don't have children yet? No, you don't.

And the children who aren't "yours", you consider to be BURDENS? Yes, you do.

Well, when YOUR children have to go begging to another country, or (heaven forbid) to a neighborhood of people from other countries...for whatever reason, I hope they are met with something more....humane.

I've raised my two kids. And I'd still open my home to sponsor a child from Latin America.
Hypocritical?
Nah.

Besides, I'm bilingual. I learned it in school. So I have twice the access that you do. More people will understand me when things go to shyte than will understand you.
edit on 7/29/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lostinthedarkness

But we have homeless families here we have homeless veterans here!

Yes! We DO! But the 'conservatives' want to starve them out, too.
At least, as far as I can tell. But what do I know...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

That was just a hypocritical and narrow minded thing to say.

How was it hypocritical, please?

Because you don't have compassion for me but you spout off about "we need to have compassion".

So - you don't have children yet?
And the children who aren't "yours" are BURDENS?

Burden is a term I use to refer to children who are non-American. I don't consider American children that I pay taxes for to be burdensome. But, children who are here illegally that are more than likely going to wind up on welfare, I do consider burdens.

Well, when YOUR children have to go begging to another country for whatever reason, I hope they are met with something more.

I just hope the liberals will quit destroying this country so they won't have to beg for anything. But, thanks for your false concern that you expressed solely to make a point that you pay lip service to compassion. Adopt an illegal, and I'll have more respect for you and take you seriously.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I've raised my two kids. And I'd still open my home to sponsor a child from Latin America.
Hypocritical?
Nah.

Then quit talking about it and do it. Then, make a thread and post some pics to prove it. Until then, your self-proclaimed compassion is just lip service.
edit on 29-7-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

i think what some of us are saying is: it isn't that we don't want to help the poor, as many of us have either been poor, are currently defined as poor or have witnessed the horrors of poverty first hand, and it's like any bad experience you never want to relive it, if at all possible. inviting poor people into an already collapsing economy, is literally sentencing them and us, to misery.
edit on 29-7-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

More people will understand me when things go to shyte than will understand you.

Attitudes like yours get you taken advantage of or hurt in situations like that. Attitudes like mine will aid in my survival in such a situation. I won't be looking for "understanding" in a shtf scenario. I'll be looking for food and ammo.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join