It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George W. Bush: "California should've remained an island"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
While in Ottawa, Canada, George and Laura Bush visited the National Archives.

From a (French language) article... "a French map of North America, dating back to 1698, was also part of the exhibition prepared for George and Laura Bush. At that time, California was represented as an island. "When the President saw this map, he laughed and said that California should've remained an island, since the state voted for the Democrats in the last election"

So much for reconciliation, I guess...

Oh, and he also saw a picture of Eisenhower taken by reputed Canadian photographer Yusuf Karsh. "That's really powerful", he said.

For those who read French...

www.cyberpresse.ca.../actualites/article/03/3,722,0,122004,858237.php

I'll see if I can find it in English.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Interesting find, I guess the "with us or against us" apply withing the states of our country also.

Perhaps Mr. Bush will nuke california san andreas fall so it can be dumped into the water.

Like that he can claim that California does not belong to the USA.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here you are Otts:

"It is really powerful! ", released George W Bush inspired, in front of a famous stereotype of the American former president Dwight Eisenhower, at the time of its passage in the Center of safeguarding of Library and Archives Canada, Tuesday.

However, immediately beside this photograph, a portrait of George Bush father is, which does not seem to retain in addition to measurement the attention of his/her son "It did not really carry interest to the photograph of his/her father.

A stereotype of Eisenhower inspires Bush,
English Version from Otts�s link above

[edit on 3/12/2004 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thanks Sauron. Gotta love those translation softwares...

However, since those softwares never entirely do justice, just a few clarifications:

- A "stereotype" of Eisenhower - In French, "clich�" means either "snapshot" or "stereotype"

- "which does not seem to retain in addition to measurement the attention of his/her son" - the French expression is "outre mesure", which means literally "beyond any measure". In other words, he wasn't doing backflips about his dad's picture.

- "it is the first time presses the ground of the Files" - no, he wasn't doing bench presses at the Archives.
The actual translation would be "treads the ground of the Archives".

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Thanks Sauron. Gotta love those translation softwares...

Yea there great arn't they heck a war could accidentally be started

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Californians will be the biggest obstable for George in his crusade for dictatorship.

Once again...spoken like a true president...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I see now, in the English version of the link by sauron.

Bush senior is represented as an imperialistic look in the picture looking at the world, will that be the NWO he though about?

And Bush junior is in the back as if "second" but not interested on Bush senior, but more into Eisenhower.

Ok what all that means, I think the person that painted the portrait was been sarcastic.

I am getting this thing right.?

I will like to see it.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Marg - Actually, no, it was Eisenhower who was photographed (not painted), looking very imperial (the journalist wrote "imp�rialiste" in French, which is a mistake) with his finger on a world map. They didn't mention what pose Bush Sr. had for his photograph.

For those who don't know Yusuf Karsh, he was a "photographer of the great". Remember the picture of Churchill looking pissed and threatening? (picture here: www.dia.org... ). Karsh achieved that by suddenly taking Churchill's cigar out of his mouth, and taking the picture while Churchill looked outraged.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for the clarification, my bad,
I guess I got "lost in translation" but the coment about california stands. Right?

So I got something right after all.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
*chuckle* oh yes, the California comment is still quite valid!

As I said, the translation matrix didn't make it clear whose picture it was.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Californians will be the biggest obstable for George in his crusade for dictatorship.

Once again...spoken like a true president...

The county map of California might say otherwise. You see not all Californians are form L.A., San Fransisco, or Davis.

Also, I think it likely that Bush said that jokingly.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What the hell? Is the man not allowed to have a sense of humor? He is a freakin' human being you know.

Oh wait... I forgot a sense of humor doesn't fit with your opinion that he's a ruthless hitleresque dictator.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Life is just one big joke to Bush lately...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yeah, people should have sence of humor but not directed to one state and a political view as if California does not belong to the US.

If I was a californian i will be ofended.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
What the hell? Is the man not allowed to have a sense of humor? He is a freakin' human being you know.

Oh wait... I forgot a sense of humor doesn't fit with your opinion that he's a ruthless hitleresque dictator.
I fail to see where he should have a sense of humor in times when thousands are dying.

Stop making excuses for the boob.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This just goes to show you how low Liberals will go to bash Bush. It was a lighthearted joke, and nothing more. I'm a Californian, and I am not offended.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Our president is a riot, aint he?

Just a barrell of monkeys.(pun intended)

While our men are dying in his war he can still crack jokes like the best of them.
No deep thoughts as to matters of the world, just jokes.

crackpot

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well, after a few more earthquakes, California probably will be an island. Not only are many of them liberals, they are just scary....

new topics

top topics

join