It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Right Wing Love Hate Relationship With Alinsky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We're all familiar with the use of the name "Alinsky" as a slur against lefties or the always popular allusion to Alinsky's tactics when referring to President Obama as a "community organizer." The second also has a nice tangential tie-in with ACORN, an organization that was defunded and went bankrupt after a Brietbart smear campaign which included the infamous heavily-edited video (more on this later). The accusations vary, but I think the gist of the hatred could be summed up as:

Saul Alinsky was a communist (he wasn't) who used "community organizing" to divide people!

Two of the individuals on the right who were most responsible for promoting this faux hatred are Newt Gingrich and Glenn Beck. Glenn Beck of course being one of the most divisive pundits to ever vomit rhetoric into a microphone. Earlier this year, in a brief moment of clarity when his rabies went into a temporary remission, Glenn lamented his own contributions to division in our country while at Fox news:

In an appearance on The Kelly File, former cable news phenomenon Glenn Beck addressed his trouble-making time on Fox News. “I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart,” conceded Beck. He described his tenure saying, “I remember it as an awful lot of fun and that I made an awful lot of mistakes, and I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language.”

source

As much as Beck has repeatedly invoked the liberal boogeyman, Saul Alinsky, Newt Gingrich is undoubtedly the most prolific name-dropper of the lot. A few notable Newt Gingrich quotes about Alinsky:

"American exceptionalism versus the radicalism of Saul Alinsky"
-- 2012 SC primary victory speech

"The founding fathers of America are the source from which we draw our understanding of America. He draws his from Saul Alinsky, radical left-wingers and people who don't like the classical America."
-- Jan, 2012 to Meet the Press host David Gregory

"Perhaps nobody has been more clear about the Left's need for dishonesty than Saul Alinsky, considered the godfather of community organizing. His two most famous works, "Reveille for Radicals" and "Rules for Radicals" were published in the late 60s and early 70s. In these works, Alinsky draws a distinction between meek, garden-variety liberals and brave, revolutionary radicals"
-- in his 2010 book, To Save America

Lots of hate and lots of.... love?

While the link to Alinsky for Obama is nothing but a short stint with a community organizing group inspired by Alinsky, there are plenty of conservatives who have drawn far more inspiration from the late "godfather of community organizing."

George and Mitt Romney? Revelations of the Romneys' admiration came out during the intraparty mudslinging in 2012. Here's a couple excerpts from right-wing propaganda rag, WND:

George Romney’s endorsement of him, coupled with his acknowledged strong influence on son Mitt, will do little to assure suspicious conservatives concerned about Mitt Romney’s record as a progressive, including his introduction of Romneycare in Massachusetts.

Political analyst and think-tank researcher Steve Baldwin believes that Mitt Romney was definitely impacted by his father’s association with Alinsky.

“Romney’s dad was a big leader of the RINO (Republican in name only) wing of the Republican Party and hated Goldwater,” Baldwin explained. “George actually walked out of the 1964 GOP convention in protest of Goldwater’s views. He was an admirer of Alinsky.”

The Tea Party? The Tea Party is ALL about Alinsky, even when they are calling him an "evil person."

Townhall - 12 Ways To Use Saul Alinsky's Rules For Radicals Against Liberals

Sadly for conservatives, when two evenly matched forces go head-to-head outside of a fairy tale, the side that tries to play nice usually ends up with its head in a box. So, don't lie or become an evil person like Alinsky, but learn from what he wrote and give the Left a taste of its own medicine.

LMAO. Don't be an evil person, but do what an evil person does because it's not evil if you do it! Further examples:

Amazon - Rules for Conservative Radicals

Michael Patrick Leahy, the co-founder of Top Conservatives on Twitter, and one of the early leaders of the Tea Party Movement, offers sixteen rules for conservative radicals based on lessons from Saul Alinsky, the Tea Party Movement, and the Apostle Paul. Leahy shows how today's average citizen, armed with inexpensive tools of collaborative technology, can influence the public dialogue in ways never thought possible only a few years ago.

Did you know that Dick Armey, formerly of CSE and now chairman of the board at FreedomWorks through 2012, is well known to have given Tea Party leaders copies of Rules for Radicals?

As a final example, remember James O'Keefe? He was the guy in the infamous ACORN video. What admission did he have about Alinsky last year?

“Alinsky has had a huge influence on me,” he says, and indeed, the “Veritas Rules” provided in Breakthrough echo those handed down in Alinsky’s famous manual Rules for Radicals. During our conversation, he more than once cites Alinsky’s fourth rule, “Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.” Introduced to Alinsky by a college professor, he recounts, he was inspired to issue a public-records request for the salaries of a handful of the university’s Marxist professors

source

I'll leave you all with perhaps the most appropriate Alinsky quote I could imagine:

'I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back'

edit on 2014-7-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's about time someone put this issue in proper perspective. Thank you!

I will add this for your viewing pleasure.

edit on 7/28/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Thank god.

I thought I was really out of the loop when I read:

originally posted by: theantediluvian
We're all familiar with the use of the name "Alinsky" as a slur against lefties

But then Bill Maher set me straight... "Who the ____ is Saul Alinsky?" (Edited for T&C sake.)

I thought it might have had something to do with Moinca...

Learn something new everyday.

edit on 28-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
BONUS!

One of the most ironic aspects of this whole Alinksy affair has been the unintended consequences of the constant blabbering by the likes of Gingrich, Beck and eventually many on the right, in that they have actually introduced many people to Saul Alinsky. So how well-known was Alinsky among the mainstream left prior to the last couple of elections?

Is Obama another Saul Alinsky? Saul who?
Bill Maher Wants To Know: ‘Who The F@#k Is Saul Alinsky?
Saul Alinsky, Who?
Who Is Saul Alinsky & Why Is Newt Gingrich Yammering About Him?
Who is Saul Alinsky and Why is Newt Saying Nasty Things About Him?
Who is Saul Alinsky, and why is Newt Gingrich so obsessed with him?
America, Meet Saul Alinsky, The Great Man Newt Gingrich Wants You To Hate
I Had Never Heard of Saul Alinsky Before Newt Gingrich

I think think the titles alone are hilarious.

edit on 2014-7-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Take a look at many of the anti-left/Obama threads and you will see Saul Alinsky and Rules for Radicals parroted a thousand times over.

The Republican propaganda machine has beat that in to the heads of so many people it's quite sad.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Take a look at many of the anti-left/Obama threads and you will see Saul Alinsky and Rules for Radicals parroted a thousand times over.

I honestly have not noticed this.

The Republican propaganda machine has beat that in to the heads of so many people it's quite sad.

I guess in my case, it didn't work.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I guess in my case, it didn't work.

Not all republicans are mindless robots. It just seems that those that are tend to be the most vocal and they push the party direction.

In fact, I just realized that I am still a registered Republican........been meaning to change that.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Alinksy is being treated unfairly. Obama is much worse than anything Alinksy could have dreamed up. I think Alinsky did love his country, as long as there was a possibility it could be transformed to meet his beliefs. Obama does not love this country, all he is worried about is himself and his ego. I suppose in 20 years people will use the term Obamanism to describe corruption, lies and deceit? All current politicians need to be thrown out of office in future elections!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Lol. Bill Maher is frequently hilarious.

For those who can't watch the video, here's an excerpt from Raw Story about the segment:

At the end of his “New Rules” segment Friday evening, Bill Maher was desperate to find out who exactly was the “radical activist” Republicans love to compare to President Barack Obama.

The Real Time host requested that Republicans answer two questions when lumping civil rights advocate Saul Alinsky to the current executive chief.

“Why would you invite my outrage by suggesting such a specious link between our president and Saul Alinsky?” he asked. “And two, who the f# is Saul Alinsky?”

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

They can be parroted by anybody, politicians love stuff like that, especially when they are thick. Use just the words, not the philosophy.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thank you for that informative OP. To be very honest I had no idea who he was but I have seen certain posters on ATS parrot his name like it was supposed to mean something to me. I can see now they will not be very happy with you because you have exposed them and their tactics.

We all know who they are.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That's because Obama and Hilary is follower of Alinsky the connection is already there, not even mentioning their rhetoric is exactly the same.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

If you can, watch the video posted above. Bill Maher addressed the very assertion that there is a connection between Obama/the left and Alinsky.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Just want to bump this thread. I think it's very important to learn about this tactic and how it is frequently injected in to our discussions.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I don't think this thread will get much attention because those who wish to keep parroting that narrative will not debate this topic.

Though, I am very sure they have read the thread already.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Oh, I'm sure they have read it as well. But they don't dare debate the issue openly on this forum because they would be completely exposed with no way of defending themselves.

Now if we started a thread blasting Obama using this specific propaganda tactic, it would be full of people applauding "my efforts" to expose Obama for the radical community organizer that he is. Many stars and flags to be had, I'm sure. I know enough about Right wing propaganda that I bet I could create a thread that would draw 100's of flags...but it would be nothing but BS rhetoric and keywords to get the Right worked up into a new frenzy.

That would be a unique experiment to conduct.

new topics

top topics

join