It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematicians say it is likely alien probes have reached earth.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ben555
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

this thread is about a mathematical equation wrote by a person. i did not use an equation to form my views.

yes that is what I said.

get over yourself,stop splitting hairs on how i form any of my views.

its not splitting hairs. Its alleviating utter confusion and common misunderstandings of very basic concepts. Logic is math that uses equations so since you don't need equations to form your views, how in the world do you use logic? You can't therefore you must not understand what you are saying. So you must really mean that your form your beliefs based on the misunderstandings of words.

my comment was aimed at people that are interested in exploring things for themselves.

My comments are aimed at the propagation of the misuse, misunderstanding and misconception of basic concepts. How are people going to explore something for themselves if they are bombarded with concepts that are wrong?

Here is my list of common misconceptions after exploring things for myself:

1. logic is math that uses equations. If you state that you use logic, and not equations, you are not using logic.

2. probability and likelihood are expressions used by statistics that are calculated from SAMPLE data that is made up from actual observations. when people say there is a probability of something, they must have sample data to show, otherwise they are making stuff up or really have no idea what they are saying.

3. the Drake equation is not made up of observed data. It is made up by presuming intelligent life exists in the first place. It is not a real statistical prediction based on actual data.

4. Possibility is not probability. ET life is possible, not probable. Probability is calculated from possible outcomes of known things as in a coin flip.

5. Telling me to get over myself will have the opposite effect.
edit on 1-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Its alleviating utter confusion and common misunderstandings of very basic concepts. Logic is math that uses equations so since you don't need equations to form your views, how in the world do you use logic?

Speaking of common misunderstandings...

Logic is the use and study of valid reasoning.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ben555

For me, when I look up at the clear sky at night, that is all it takes" why are you here then?

I am saying that I believe that intelligent life exists in the universe as do many others. I don't understand your question.

are you still following up on "why people who see UFOs think their aliens?" idea? how is your research going??

I honestly have no idea what you are referring to. Could be any of the 5000 straw man arguments made against me to attack my personal beliefs. Research?

I don't recall discussing anything with you before either. Must have hurt your feelings or something. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Science is no longer what it once was. Mathematics has taken it over.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Speaking of common misunderstandings...

Logic is the use and study of valid reasoning.

valid reasoning can be expressed in a series of statements that evaluate to being true or false.
otherwise what constitutes "valid reasoning".

in other words, a mathematical equation.

A=B
Fred is Greek
B=C
Greeks have awesome tans
therefore, A=C
Fred has an awesome tan

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Math uses logic, logic isn't math.

logic is math that uses equations. If you state that you use logic, and not equations, you are not using logic.

Now I understand the UFO guys...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

this post was about an equation used. i was using logic to describe my way of thinking which was different from using an equation a human has calculated.
your point of logic being used in an equation is obvious,how else would you get it?
of course you have to do an equation/use logic even doing evey day tasks as crossing the road. your pointing out the obvious again wasting my time and your own.

we dont need you to tell us how to think and why YOU think we are wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Math uses logic, logic isn't math.

logical statements can be expressed mathematically

Now I understand the UFO guys...

I'm sure

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

this post was about an equation used. i was using logic to describe my way of thinking which was different from using an equation a human has calculated.

what logic did you use to arrive at your beliefs?

your point of logic being used in an equation is obvious,how else would you get it?

not that obvious apparently.

of course you have to do an equation/use logic even doing evey day tasks as crossing the road. your pointing out the obvious again wasting my time and your own.
good. Explain it to the other guy.

we dont need you to tell us how to think and why YOU think we are wrong.

well someone has to do it sooner or later. Its not really about what I think. If you disagree about my points, say so and provide something to back it up. Thats all.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

logical statements can be expressed mathematically

True.

But you have it basically backwards. I won't waste any more time trying to point it out.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

but he is here because he wants to know why people believe in aliens (lol) but he does not want to accept peoples reasons for for believing in them and will always be on a thread that cant be proved one way or the other.
strange.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: JadeStar

Occam's is exactly right in the part I bolded but wrong when he says 0 is the stronger of the two possibilities.

The fact is we don't know which of the two possibilities is stronger in this case -AT THIS POINT IN TIME-

You got me thinking about this now. So far all we have are zeros. I think its more like we find it or we don't. If we don't, the possibility for each will remain the same since there will always be more ground to cover. Can one possibility be stronger than another? What would tip the scales in your opinion?

I'm thinking things are possible or they aren't with no real strength. Like something can't be more possible than something else unless we bring in probability.

Based on everything we know If I were to speculate which possibility is stronger I'd say it is far stronger that all of the following would be true:

a) Life is common in the galaxy and universe beyond
b) Intelligent, advanced life is somewhat rarer
c) technological, intelligent life is even rarer than b)

But.... life in the galaxy likely first originated 4-6 billion years before our solar system formed so who knows what (or who) might be out there.

Now we'll leave science for speculation.

If intelligent life does exist in the galaxy then there should be detectable evidence of it somewhere if we look closely and carefully enough.

Further speculation, It's even conceivable, given the 4-6 billion year head start that one or more progenitor species might have spread its DNA around either intentionally or unintentionally through exploration several billion years ago which would negate the need for life to evolve independently on many worlds.

There are so many possibilities even when talking about a 1 in a million outcome of intelligent, technological life that at this point we've left science entirely and are in the realm of the imagination.
edit on 1-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

i have seen that theory about the asteroids that might contain DNA in a documentary called "star jelly" i think.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

True.

But you have it basically backwards. I won't waste any more time trying to point it out.

yeah, it sounds like you realized your mistake and are bailing out.

www.jcu.edu...

Logic is an indispensable part of our daily lives, just as it is an indispensable part of mathematics. Whenever we present a reasoned argument on some topic, and whenever we present a proof of a mathematical fact, we are using logic. In both cases, the logic being used follows exactly the same structures. When used in mathematics, the structure of a logical argument is relatively easy to discern, but when embedded in ordinary language, the logic may not be so readily identifiable.

www.math.wichita.edu...

One area of mathematics that has its roots deep in philosophy is the study of logic. Logic is the study of formal reasoning based upon statements or propositions

you still disagree with this?

logic is math that uses equations. If you state that you use logic, and not equations, you are not using logic.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ooh wait let's try cups and string or smoke signals ! Come on in 20 years we will be like can't believe we thought that !

Imagine a race of 100 billion miles and every tech advance we have had set off when it was first usable
1. Walk
2. Run
3. Horseback
4.train
5.car
6.aircraft
7.future tech

Look at the message we sent for aliens lol
If that gets redirected and we receive it we will be like wtf

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

but he is here because he wants to know why people believe in aliens (lol) but he does not want to accept peoples reasons for for believing in them and will always be on a thread that cant be proved one way or the other.
strange.

What are you talking about? are you thinking of my evil twin or something? what are your logical reasons for believing in aliens? If you are making statements of facts that are not facts and basing your beliefs on them, don't you want to know? Or would you rather not know? Thinking for yourself isn't working out to well

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

For me, when I look up at the clear sky at night, that is all it takes" why are you here then?

I am saying that I believe that intelligent life exists in the universe as do many others. I don't understand your question.

are you still following up on "why people who see UFOs think their aliens?" idea? how is your research going??

I honestly have no idea what you are referring to. Could be any of the 5000 straw man arguments made against me to attack my personal beliefs. Research?

I don't recall discussing anything with you before either. Must have hurt your feelings or something. Sorry.

heres some research for you....

Personally I am here because I wish to know why people are convinced of alien visitation. Its something I think about a lot.

You said this in this thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

yeah, it sounds like you realized your mistake and are bailing out.

You don't understand, I can't help you.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

logic is math that uses equations.

Find a source for that beside yourself.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

heres some research for you....

yes and what is your point. Why does that statement bother you? You seem like you are here to troll me. Why?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join