It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematicians say it is likely alien probes have reached earth.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Interesting! Though it's not necessarily a novel concept. Every once in a while, some anomalous object (real or not — for example the Dark Knight satellite) in our solar system is pointed to as possibly being a Bracewell Probe.

Probably the most famous example in science fiction is The Monolith from 2001. Another would be Philip K. Dick's VALIS.

In the 80's, the idea of a specific type of a Bracewell probe, a self-replicating variety, was introduced. The theoretically probe was named the Von Neumann Probe after John von Neumann, mathematician, physicist, polymath and all around badass who was the first to detail the requirements of a self-replicating machine, the Von Neumann Universal Constructor.

Thanks for sharing with us OP.

edit on 2014-7-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Totemic
Michio Kaku discussed this also somewhere at some time, I don't remember. It's still only a theory. Every mathematician in the world can come together and have the same conclusion, it doesn't matter. Titles don't add weight to an assumption or a belief in lieu of actual evidence of this happening.

Any life form that creates a multiplying probe to investigate the galaxy or universe, is a life form that's interested in life outside of their own planet. If it's not for self preservation, then it's most likely out of curiosity. Once a planet is found to contain life, other probes would be sent out to investigate and give acknowledgement that other beings exist. As we have with the Pioneer plaques. If space travel isn't possible for these beings for physical reasons, more complex probes would probably be sent. We have no physical evidence of alien probes visiting Earth, ever.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: smithjustinb
Intelligent life may not be prevalent. There is only one species on Earth capable of doing anything like this. There are millions of species on Earth that aren't and have no desire to do this. We're unique on this planet. Who's to say we're not unique among others?

Monkeys have recently been found to be using tools, some have been found making things such as umbrellas, how long before they're talking?

How long before humans start being telepathic?

We're discovering whales and dolphins are highly intelligent, maybe in a few thousand years they too will be talking.
We are not unique on this earth, we just have a little head start.

You're making a lot of assumptions about how evolution works.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ectoplasm8

We have no physical evidence of alien probes visiting Earth, ever.

At least none the public is aware of, eh?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
wait. why would super advanced aliens even need to come here or send obvious space probes? what if they open microscopic wormholes and eyeball us through those? how would we ever even know? there are some unexplained cosmic ray signals that at least one respected scientist has said would be what you'd expect from microscopic wormholes opening up in the upper atmosphere and the signal is almost swamped by the regular cosmic ray events which are far more common.

these unusual cosmic rays events are called "Centauro events."

at about 28 minutes into this video:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-7-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: added video cite.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This topic has already been covered in an earlier thread from Jul, 17 2013 :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

People are making some very big assumptions in their denial of life outside of our tiny planet

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Totemic

For the purpose of their calculations, they assumed the ability to create self replicating space probes capable of traveling at an average speed of 10% of the speed of light.

Given the likely prevalence of intelligent life in our galaxy and the likelihood that a fair portion of those civilizations have hundreds of millions or billions of years on us, the probability is that our solar system has been probed by multitudes of alien civilizations throughout the history of our system.

Probability & Likelihood of life outside our planet can not be calculated since the actual calculation to do so requires known outcomes . When you use assumptions like this to calculate probability, its more in line with calling it a guess. Nothing wrong with that but it is not really a statement of actual likelihood. So based on our current knowledge, we can only say for sure that we are here. The rest is a crap shoot and we may never know. Now I am going to play some poker.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
based on exactly zero data, how on earth does one draw conclusions?

No one can! Conclusions are just ... Interpretations!

**SNIP**

MOD NOTE:

Mod Edit: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

edit on 7/28/2014 by Blaine91555 because: Removed rude comment.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

People are making some very big assumptions in their denial of life outside of our tiny planet

Actually the only assumptions being made are by those who believe life exists elsewhere. If I am wrong, please show me the facts that support it.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Not me. All I said was, "Intelligent life may not be prevalent". I didn't say it was likely or unlikely. I just said we don't know. I was just offering another view point which I don't necessarily hold.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
PLEASE...

Keep it civil and on the topic.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
we will soon have telescopes that can image the tattoos on a space babe's butt on a beach 5000 light years away. why do we think aliens cannot do much better than us?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I've experienced a "close encounter of the fifth kind," having come face to face with an ET creature so extremely wicked and intelligent, a creature whose communication with me was marked by personality, evil intent, and a subtle sense of dark humor.

ET's exist and are here, there's no rhetoric under the sun that will ever convince me otherwise.

edit on 28-7-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul
I've experienced a "close encounter of the fifth kind," having come face to face with an ET creature so extremely wicked and intelligent, a creature whose communication with me was marked by personality, evil intent, and a subtle sense of dark humor.

ET's exist and are here, any rhetoric to the contrary will never convince me otherwise.

You are welcome to believe whatever you like. Asking for evidence when someone says it's proven is not rhetoric though, it's independent thinking.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

With all due respect, humanity endures without a single shred of repeatable scientific proof that an omnipotent creator exists, yet to the casual observer there appears abundant evidence which seems to indicate the existence of a conscious godlike being.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The odds still kind of go against a probe finding us, unless one did sometime ago. Then, it probably just made note of Earths existence and probably just observe. The galaxy is still huge, regardless if it was a 10 million year process. Stars and planets would of been made and developed by the end of such process. 10 percent at the speed of light is like 2 miles probably.

And if they did, there is still no known way to prove one did, whether the Ufos a drone, or an actual piloted craft.
edit on 29-7-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

With all due respect, humanity endures without a single shred of repeatable scientific proof that an omnipotent creator exists, yet to the casual observer there appears abundant evidence which seems to indicate the existence of a conscious godlike being.

I have no idea what that has to do with mathematics, and who is talking about an omnipotent creator?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The amazing thing is that the more we learn about our Universe, the more likely the possibility that there are literally billions upon billions and even trillions of planets with life. With that many planets with life there is a very high probability that millions of them evolved into intelligent life like ours. With that many planets with intelligent life and the age of the Universe, it is very likely that there are hundreds of thousands of civilizations out there, perhaps, millions or billions, in the universe that are millions of years more advanced than us.

Imagine where we'll be in a million years if we don't destroy ourselves. We'll have populated every planet and moon in our solor system with bases and cities by then. Imagine our technology and where we'll be able to travel and what we'll be able to see!

Keep in mind that, as with our Kepler and other planet finding technologies, these other civilizations wouldn't need to send probes to every star in the universe or galaxy to find life. They would do what we are doing and find the most likely candidates.

Imagine telescopes on moons in the outer edges of our solar system that our miles wide! and what we'll be able to see with them. Imagine the technology of our own probes, millions of years from now.

I think there is a really good mathematical probability that alien probes have visited earth or at least our solar system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join