It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematicians say it is likely alien probes have reached earth.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
We seem to be exploring space just fine.

This made me laugh, then I cried when I realized you were serious.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
We seem to be exploring space just fine.

This made me laugh, then I cried when I realized you were serious.

I thought that there were some really informative posts by JadeStar. Im not sure what your post means but technology and what we know is increasing at a very rapid rate. Even though your post seems like it was meant to offend, it really doesn't.

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: amazing
Okay, now I’m not a mathematician or an astronomer but here are my numbers. Please be kind. This is just an estimate and theory and a posibility, but my numbers are all conservative.

On November 4, 2013, astronomers reported, based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sizedplanets orbiting in the habitable zones of sun-like stars and red dwarf stars within the Milky Way Galaxy.

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe. They've counted the galaxies in a particular region, and multiplied this up to estimate the number for the whole universe, but that’s a conservative estimate because some scientists say it could be 500 billion galaxies! And that's just the observable universe!

I don’t think I’m being off the mark to extrapolate that to estimate that there are probably 40 billion possible life bearing planets in each galaxy ...therefore.

X is the number of the possible habitable planets in the universe. G is the number of Galaxies in the Universe. And P is the number of habitable planets in each Galaxy.

Therefore X=G X P That number is 4 sextillion. That's a 4 with 21 zero's after it. If I multiply that by 1% that leaves me with 40 quadrillion possible planets in our Universe that could hold life. I think 1% is a low estimate and we’re not even talking about moons. We guess that there are several moons in our own solar system that could harbor life.

Now it took 4.6 billions years for life to evolve to our current state on earth. I think it’s fair to assume that, for other planets with life forms. Some scientists estimate that there are many galaxies older than the milky way and others think they’re all about the same age. But give or take a hundred thousand or a million years of evolution in all of those possible 40 quadrillion planets with advanced life forms on it and there is a possibility of that millions or billions or even quadrillions of them have civilizations millions of years more advanced than us.

Again this is just a possibility. A theory but it’s based on Math and science. Not saying I ‘m right and there is no concrete proof, as of yet, but you must be open to the possibility. Yes? 40 Quadrillion is a huge number!!

Someone already did the math for you based on data from the Kepler spacecraft:

So around 4 Trillion for the Observable Universe

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

"how do you count in a non-linear way?" you just proved my point lol

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

oh so you are the expert on reality hunh? haha you guys kill me!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bottleslingguy

oh so you are the expert on reality hunh? haha you guys kill me!

The fact that I can recognize reality doesn't make me an expert on it.

I know this much, you are unlikely to arrive at a realistic conclusion if you base your line of thought on facts you decide to make up out of thin air.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

"how do you count in a non-linear way?" you just proved my point lol

its a sincere question. In this case, we are talking about the linear quantifiable known universe according to main stream science. In which case the sum total of evidence for ET equals zero. Are you saying there is another way to count to zero
edit on 5-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

so you're saying you have a better grasp of reality than I do? how does that affect our daily lives? is your life better than mine? are you happier than I? do people love you more than they do me? or is it just to be able to say you were right? what is substantial about your relationship with the concept of reality?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
how about in all probability? I think it is more than probable ET is not only out there but has come here and I don't see why he isn't still here. You actually feel comfortable basing your paradigm simply on what you are told by people who are well known for lying and deceiving us?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
To say we explore the galaxy because we have a few satellites floating around is laughable at best. Until we can physically, actively, & regularly send groups of people to explore planets & star systems, claiming to be the only advanced society in existence seems an absolutely ludicrous claim.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bottleslingguy

I have no indication that anyone is lying to me in this regard. If information is being kept from me, I still don't know about it and I am unable to examine it. Nothing I can do about that. So I would rather not live my life suspecting people are lying to me when there really is no reason to think they are. That seems more akin to paranoia. Regardless, I am still at zero. With zero as my sample, there is no probability but imagination and belief are fair game.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

how about in all probability? I think it is more than probable ET is not only out there but has come here and I don't see why he isn't still here.

What exactly are you basing your probability on? Your own unbiased research? I seriously doubt that. You most likely fall prey to what every other believer does. The hyped TV shows or websites. Why don't you give us this evidence you believe shows the probability that extraterrestrials exist in our galaxy or universe, extraterrestrials have visited Earth in the past, and extraterrestrials are visiting today.

You actually feel comfortable basing your paradigm simply on what you are told by people who are well known for lying and deceiving us?

You do understand it's the skeptics/debunkers/non-believers that are the independent thinkers, right? Believers get sucked, or better yet suckered, into these stories and come out believing while doing absolutely no research on their own. The only ones following, being led, and listening to what they are told are believers.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
To say we explore the galaxy because we have a few satellites floating around is laughable at best. Until we can physically, actively, & regularly send groups of people to explore planets & star systems, claiming to be the only advanced society in existence seems an absolutely ludicrous claim.
Unfortunately we are the only society known to exist that CAN get satellites floating around. Even if there are other civilizations that do exist out there, what we know about them is based purely on imagination. So claiming to be the only advanced society in existence is totally consistent with what we know. Waiting around for people to explore the galaxy in order to meet your standards of "exploration" is pretty useless since it may never happen. However, we are free to believe what we want.

edit on 5-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

That avatar isn't "dorky" enough. Although I do understand the message.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ectoplasm8
That avatar isn't "dorky" enough. Although I do understand the message.

unicorns regurgitating rainbows has the same probability as aliens flying around in spaceships or even existing. So far no logic has been presented that justifies aliens as being anything but a product of pure imagination. Anyone claiming "probability", or "logic" should do a little more investigation before regurgitating those words. Thinking that regurgitating those words without applying them helps anything doesn't work to well
edit on 6-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
>>
So claiming to be the only advanced society in existence is totally consistent with what we know.
>>

Forming beliefs and views based on what you know: THE DEFINITION OF IGNORANCE

You can not *claim* we're the only advanced society since you/we don't have data to make such a claim.
You can, however, say you *believe* we're the only advanced science.

>>
unicorns regurgitating rainbows has the same probability as aliens flying around in spaceships or even existing.
>>

Pure nonsense. We have established as scientific fact that a) Unicorns do not exist b) Therefore unicorns cannot regurgitate rainbows.
We also know for a scientific FACT that no being can regurgitate rainbows.

The probability that aliens fly around in spaceships is infinitely larger than the probability to meet rainbow regurgitating rainbows. The idea is actually "plausible" in a sense if we take recent discoveries and the established fact that we (to some extent) are actually doing exactly that, "flying around in spaceships" as far as our technology allows.

The idea that aliens exist and doing the same is not that far off, the idea that unicorns exist is based on NOTHING, there is no evidence they do nor a math or logic which would suggest they do, let alone that some exist who regurgitate rainbows.

Probability for unicorns w/ rainbows: ZERO
Probability for aliens, even aliens visiting here > ZERO.

Pretty fail comparison if you ask me.
edit on 8/6/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: donhuangenaro
if alien probes did get here, I believe aliens that sent them would be flabbergasted by the amount of stupidity on this planet...

I would be...

I am 100% convinced about that, although "flabbergasted" might be a far too mild an expression.
First, to realize the stupidity of this planet you don't even have to be an Alien. How a civilization that is technologically but ALSO spiritually/mentally far more advanced would see us I cannot even remotely fathom.

We are a species which has not even learned the basics to live together AS ONE SPECIES. Especially looking at things going on right now, you can see we still have the same, essential "conflicts" as we had 1000s of years ago. We have not progressed ONE INCH as a species. In the past, say, after the collapse of communism etc. I had "some" hope that we as a species might have advanced at least a little, but now seeing that this is an illusion. Look at the middle east. Look at religions. Look at racism, nationalism etc..etc...

We are as primitive as we were back in caves. Back then we might have had clubs or rocks to smash each others skulls in, yet, now the SAME principles are at work except that we "advanced" technologically where we made the clubs and rocks into nuclear missiles and tanks etc. But nothing else has changed.

A species which sees another species which cannot even live amongst themselves, IMHO, would never want to contact this species. We are eons literally away from being ready to accept that other species on other planets might exist. Some well-meaning scientists and thinkers who are hyped about "contact" is not what it needs if the rest of the planet is infinitely stupid.

I am always saying, if we HAD contact at this point, it would be a catastrophe because it can ONLY result in that we see the other species as enemies. There is no other way around since it is "in us" that everything foreign and different is considered an enemy. Other race, other countries, other belief, other political system: ALL of those things for us justify seeing "the other" as an enemy, the reason for death and war since the dawn of time and still today. There is not one slight reason to believe that we would accept or tolerate, let alone live in harmony with another species. It would likely take another many thousands of years if we even EVER get there. Maybe we're wired that way we will never get there. (We had a long time to evolve, say, in the last thousands of years..but nothing has changed. So why would it in, say 2000 years or 5000 years?)

edit on 8/6/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

I hear you. What I am trying to do is clarify the use of the term probability

Probability for unicorns w/ rainbows: ZERO
Probability for aliens, even aliens visiting here > ZERO.

Pretty fail comparison if you ask me.

probability is calculated from known outcomes. Neither are known to have occurred. I think by definition they are equal. Do you have a different definition for probability?

I don't want to get too far off topic but why would it not be possible that a horse like animal with a horn existed. If their diet was rich in fruits...

claim:

state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.

Forming beliefs and views based on what you know: THE DEFINITION OF IGNORANCE

I don't mean to nit pick but I think that is the complete opposite of ignorance.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

so you're saying you have a better grasp of reality than I do? how does that affect our daily lives? is your life better than mine? are you happier than I? do people love you more than they do me? or is it just to be able to say you were right? what is substantial about your relationship with the concept of reality?

Did I say anything at all about your life?

I typically refrain from posting on subjects of which I have no knowledge.

But fabricated evidence, yes, I know about that quite well.

Harte

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

originally posted by: donhuangenaro

if alien probes did get here, I believe aliens that sent them would be flabbergasted by the amount of stupidity on this planet...

I would be...

I am 100% convinced about that, although "flabbergasted" might be a far too mild an expression.

They may well be flabbergasted, but I beat them to that condition.

Harte

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Ectoplasm8

you guys just LOVE the "zero evidence" argument.

I prefer the "complete evidence" argument. When looking at the complete evidence, the only plant with life is Earth. The "zero evidence" is your argument. There is zero evidence there is life outside Earth, but you argue it.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join