It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Doctors Refusing Obamacare Enrollees Out of Fear They Won’t Get Paid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
More uncertainty on the Obama.Care front.

This time it's doctors in Florida.

They are scared of not getting paid from insurance companies and/or patients who's policies are Obama.Care "exchange" based.

Apparently at least some if not all policies purchased on exchanges have different terms and networks than policies offered to employers and policies sold by private brokers and agencies.

This could be sensationalism, but Debbie Wasserman Schultz is apparently acknowledging there is a problem, and Florida’s Department of Financial Services is getting complaints.

If you like your new doctor......

Doctors in Florida are refusing patients with Obamacare coverage out of fear that their bills will slip through the cracks and won’t get paid. Many Floridians are finding that their cheap plans won’t get them access to doctors even when the plan says they’re approved.

From the Telegraph:

Some physicians say they’re concerned they won’t be paid for their services by either the insurer or the patient, and that insurers are not adequately informing doctors of their inclusion in exchange plan networks.

“You don’t want to be in a situation where you provide service, and turn around and there’s no contract in place to reimburse you,” said Jay Millson, executive vice president of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians.

Florida Doctors Refusing Obamacare Enrollees Out of Fear They Won’t Get Paid

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My doctor stopped taking all insurance and told me he simply wasn't going to deal with it anymore. He has a cash only business now and I don't blame him one bit. I would rather pay him $125 for a visit than try to pay $1000 a month for healthcare. It's insane.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Since the announcement of this crapstorm that is 'Obamacare', I figured this was going to happen. Only a matter of time before they all stop taking it.

Most doctors got into their field for two reasons. One to help people and the second for the money. Some just for the money, so that say it right there.

Star and flag.

a reply to: Metallicus

Can't say I'm surprised about that. I can see lots of doctors doing this at some point. Won't be long now.

-SAP-

edit on 28-7-2014 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So the fear of doctors comes from what exactly?

How many doctors in florida have stoped taking obama care insurance users?

Oh and great article with lots of facts and proof of the damning non existing evidence of the horros in florida.
edit on 28-7-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think the entire ACA is a sham.

I currently pay just over $1,000 per month to cover my entire family.

Looking at the ACA, to get less coverage, more out of pocket expenses and less choices...I'd spend just over $2,400 per month.

Affordable?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackboxInquiry

Looking at the ACA, to get less coverage, more out of pocket expenses and less choices...I'd spend just over $2,400 per month.

Affordable?

That is just flat out absurd.

Smh..

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
So the fear of doctors comes from what exactly?

How many doctors in florida have stoped taking obama care insurance users?

Oh and great article with lots of facts and proof of the damning non existing evidence of the horros in florida.

I think most of the fear is rooted in ignorance and uncertainty. But I'm sure there is a political element as well.

I've been reading up on this issue today and I see a flood of lawsuits coming out of this. There are alleged cases of these doctors humiliating and belittling potential patients because they have ACA coverage.

Pretty sad situation.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
when single payer gets here in 10 years, and the docs have to take medicare level reimbursements or get a real job, these will seem like glory days to them. My suggestion to them would be to find a way to make it work and do anything possible to fend off single payer

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackboxInquiry
I think the entire ACA is a sham.

I currently pay just over $1,000 per month to cover my entire family.

Affordable?

are you referencing your employee contribution to an employer sponsored plan or a family policy you have purchased directly from a carrier ?

I used to work for BCBS, and you can't get the worst plan offered for a family for that premium.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
What??
Where are the people that have unACA and have deductibles so small that doctors are worried insurers won't pay?

Sounds fishy to me.
BCBS is still the same insurer I've always had...they have always paid.....just now *I* have to pay $6300 first.
I've never had BCBS deny a claim.

And, let me tell you....unless your doctor knows you pretty well...you won't get seen more than once without paying.
Many doctors expect payment before you leave the office.
Many doctors choose which plans they will accept.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
"Obamacare" is not an insurance. No one has an insurance card that says "Obamacare" on it.

The doctors contract with the insurances the same exact way they always have. The INSURANCES, of course, do their best to screw over the doctors and give them low reimbursement because paying them better would cut into their bottom line. The physicians negotiate their own contracts. Larger physician groups have more negotiating power. It has ALWAYS been this way. It would be this way if ACA went away tomorrow they would just be able to do more with less accountability.

I have worked in Healthcare Finance for over 20 years and have seen all sorts of things the INSURANCE COMPANIES try and get away with. But people who scream about how horrible the ACA is are going to scream anyway because of..you know...Obama. If Bush had come up with this they would screaming about how its their "right" and how they need more of it.

top topics

join