It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanists Demand Religious Exemption From Abortion Restrictions, Cite Hobby Lobby Ruling

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Link

I know that this is satire.

However it does bring into question how far can this go.

It's definitely a great troll

The Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision, which allowed some for-profit companies to claim a religious exemption to Obamacare’s contraception mandate, has sparked a heated debate over the definition of religious liberty and its role in modern society. At this point, even a Satantic cult has decided to weigh in.

The Satanic Temple — a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty” — has launched a new campaign seeking a religious exemption to certain anti-abortion laws that attempt to dissuade women from ending a pregnancy. The group says they have deeply held beliefs about bodily autonomy and scientific accuracy, and those beliefs are violated by state-level “informed consent” laws that rely on misleading information about abortion risks.

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, the Satanists point out, it strengthens their own quest to opt out of laws related to women’s health care that go against their religious liberty. “Because of the respect the Court has given to religious beliefs, and the fact that our our beliefs are based on best available knowledge, we expect that our belief in the illegitimacy of state­ mandated ‘informational’ material is enough to exempt us, and those who hold our beliefs, from having to receive them,” a spokesperson for the organization said in a statement.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Wait until Sharia Law gets it's day in court. The Christians that think they have dominion over the USA are going to be screaming for secularism to make a comeback.

edit on 28-7-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
The Christians that think they have dominion over the USA are going to be screaming for secularism to make a comeback.

You mean those who call themselves "christians".

I try not to laugh my behind off each time I see a military commander say he's "christian". I guess these folks never read John 14:27.

edit on 28-7-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop eventually. Well done ACA! I applaud you. The Hobby Lobby ruling is almost as illegal as the ACA implementation.

A fine called a tax???? Dub Yuh Tee Eff is that? How did that slip by?

Oh that's right, you got to pass it to see whats in it....facepalm.

No surprise that this was to come. Just wait till all the other churches and organizations come out of the woodwork claiming exemptions from the aca.

We can only hope this is last foot ware to fall. (I doubt it)

Please excuse my unoriginal stargate references.

edit on 7/28/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Wait until Sharia Law gets it's day in court. The Christians that think they have dominion over the USA are going to be screaming for secularism to make a comeback.

Making a mountain out of a molehill I see. A company being exempt from an illegal contraception mandate is not comparable to sharia law.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

It doesn't surprise me that Satanists would be for killing babies. Their entire philosophy of 'do as thou wilt' is based on selfishness and hedonism. They couldn't care less about another life other than their own.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

The Christians that think they have dominion over the USA are going to be screaming for secularism to make a comeback.

I try not to laugh my behind off each time I see a military commander say he's "christian". I guess these folks never read John 14:27.

Maybe they only read Ecclesiastes 3:8

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the Jedi to weigh in:

"You don't need to see my insurance card. These are the hemorrhoids your looking for."

"Yeah, someone cut off my legs and I rolled into a river of lava. That's covered, right?"

"Well, my religion says I can use the force to choke my pregnant wife if she's giving me lip."

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is awsome, too bad im not american, my god is againts fat people, its offending for me and my god to pay for the medical expenses of people that intake more food than there life activies need. My god is the right one.

Oh also my god is againts high sugar diets, sugar is evil so i wont be paying for all the diabetics out there, its evil my god said so.

This is opening a can of worms that every greedy americain to use for more profit.
edit on 28-7-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Your god is both boring and pretentious...

I like to think he's a cross between Matt Smith and David Tennant.

"Hey, God, they put your son on the cross. "

David Tennant: "What? What? What! "

Matt Smith: "Yes, I have a wife. "

Satanists are growing in popularity. It's the new fad. Once they spread their sh*t in society by saying that morality is useless and stupid, maybe people will start realizing why morality was invented in the first place.

edit on 28-7-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think this is a bad idea because of how Christians are uninformed on what satanism really is. It will make them latch on to their beleifs even more. It will not lead to progression of anything.

a reply to: Metallicus

You know nothing about Satanism except what you saw in some B movie.
thesatanictemple.com...

Do not harm little children.

www.churchofsatan.com...

And now the bible.
skepticsannotatedbible.com...
edit on 28-7-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

The peace being referred to is calmness in your spirit in the face of hardships.

Different kind of "peace".

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

It's definitely a great troll.

The group says they have deeply held beliefs about bodily autonomy and scientific accuracy, and those beliefs are violated by state-level “informed consent” laws that rely on misleading information about abortion risks.

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, the Satanists point out, it strengthens their own quest to opt out of laws related to women’s health care that go against their religious liberty.

Its actually not a great troll. To be honest, its not a troll at all. It’s the same argument used by the pro-abortion types, that its "their body” and that they “have a right to choose whether or not they can keep a baby”.

That’s the whole debate, whether or not an unborn baby is a life. The pro-life group will argue that of-course it’s a life and that no one has a “right” to take or kill that life.

The pro-abortion side argues that the baby is not a life, that the baby is simply a “part of their anatomy”, which they have a right to, well, abort or terminate… Many would argue that this line of thinking is akin to Satanism.

Just sayin’.

a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

You are 110% correct (though I don’t know whats wrong with being secular).

But its already too late.

The Jews have their own religious courts called Halakha. The Amish are also permitted to live by their own religious laws as are the Mormons.

Does anyone really think that Moslems wont also seek these exemptions? Why wouldn’t they? We’re already making exemptions for religious groups, which is the whole problem. Once we allow something for one group, we have to allow it for every other group under equal protection.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with people living by their own set of religious laws so long as those laws don’t conflict with US law when it comes to coercion or violence.

edit on 28-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere there is no such thing as pro abortion. Some people for pro choice dont get abortions and some are against them but think it should be a choice on the individual.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

Right, and other people think that killing an unborn baby is not a "choice" but an act of murder.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
I think this is a bad idea because of how Christians are uninformed on what satanism really is. It will make them latch on to their beleifs even more. It will not lead to progression of anything.

a reply to: Metallicus

You know nothing about Satanism except what you saw in some B movie.
thesatanictemple.com...

Do not harm little children.

www.churchofsatan.com...

And now the bible.
skepticsannotatedbible.com...

For a really good idea of who your dealing with when it comes to satanist, is read a book called "The Ultimate Evil"
It pretty much puts things into perspective. I read it when it first came out in 1987.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I don't think some folks understand what satire is.

Anyway, this does highlight the unintended consequences that can arise from such decisions. I'm surprised we haven't seen something like this occur already in the wake of the HL decision.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Can they show how informed consent goes against their beliefs? They claim they desire scientific accuracy, would not informed consent fall under that? Now if they can show certain things are indeed not correct, I have no problem with them being exempt from anything they can show is not accurate.

Otherwise I fail to see why their request is actually against their religion.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
a reply to: gladtobehere there is no such thing as pro abortion. Some people for pro choice dont get abortions and some are against them but think it should be a choice on the individual.

There is no such thing as anti-abortion. Some people are against murder and think this qualifies.

Semantics.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Unlike Hobby Lobby I believe the line separating church and state is as clear as the line between Hanukkah products and their shelves.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join