It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IL cop shoots 6-year-old girl’s pet in head as she watches: ‘The dog wasn’t doing anything’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Oh come on.. Why is this becoming almost a daily occurrence? Another cop shoots another family pet when he could have used pepper spray or a taser or just not done any thing at all and let the family get the dog in the house.

I just do not get it. Why are all the police so deathly afraid of dogs? Or is it they just like using them as target practice?

link

We were in the lawn and the cop already had his gun out,” Echlin explained. “I tried to call him in the house and he just stood there staring and I guess he showed his teeth and the cop just shot him, right in front of me and my 6-year-old daughter.”

What leads you to believe that ALL of the Police are "Afraid of dogs"?

This particular police officer obviously was, but given that police are one of the occupations that regularly employ canines, it seems a reach to break out the broad brush and claim that "all police" are afraid of dogs?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Oh come on.. Why is this becoming almost a daily occurrence? Another cop shoots another family pet when he could have used pepper spray or a taser or just not done any thing at all and let the family get the dog in the house.

I just do not get it. Why are all the police so deathly afraid of dogs? Or is it they just like using them as target practice?

link

We were in the lawn and the cop already had his gun out,” Echlin explained. “I tried to call him in the house and he just stood there staring and I guess he showed his teeth and the cop just shot him, right in front of me and my 6-year-old daughter.”

This particular police officer obviously was, but given that police are one of the occupations that regularly employ canines, it seems a reach to break out the broad brush and claim that "all police" are afraid of dogs?

I guess you're right they are not all afraid of dogs.. It must be the target practice thing..

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

link

I guess you're right they are not all afraid of dogs.. It must be the target practice thing..

So...I am a dog lover and have a dog I love.

I also have small kids.

This was a pit-bull mix, loose in the neighborhood.

was the cop aware that the yard he followed the dog to was the dogs property?
why didn't the owner go outside into the front lawn and retrieve her dog? Rather than watch from the front door?
About 4.5 million people are attacked by dogs in the USA every year and Pit Bulls are responsible for over half of those attacks.

Just saying...it's easy to trash cops, but they are the ones that have to approach that strange unknown dog and make sure no kids get mauled...which does in fact happen.

The owner seems to admit that her dog "bared it's teeth"...while she stood in the doorway? rather than walk outside and say that's my dog?

What the Cop should have done...Called to the woman in the doorway..."Is this your dog?...Come get it!" Assuming he even saw her.

How did the dog get loose?

Just saying...there is always two sides to the story...

2014 Dog Bite Fatality: 4-Year Old Girl Killed by Family Pit Bulls in Bloomington
2014 Dog Bite Fatality: Family Dog Kills Baby in Michigan; Father Had to 'Pry...
2014 Dog Bite Fatality: Pit Bulls Owned by Family Members Kill 3-Year Old...
2014 Dog Bite Fatality: Family Pit Bull Kills 4-Year Old Girl in Houma, Louisiana
2014 Dog Bite Fatality: 3-Year Old Girl Killed by Pit Bull in North Carolina
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: Baby Dies in Columbus, Injuries Consistent with Dog Attack
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: 2-Year Old Girl Mauled to Death by Dogs in South Chicago
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: Chained Pit Bull-Mix Kills 5-Year Old Girl in Effingham
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: Union City Boy, 6, Killed by Uncle's Pet Pit Bull
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: Fulton County Infant Killed by Family Pit Bull
2013 Dog Bite Fatality: Bryan County Toddler Killed by Family Pit Bulls

www.dogsbite.org...

YES...the cop could have and should have handled it differently...BUT he also has a job to do when a pit bull is loose in the neighborhood.

edit on 29-7-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

the dog wasn't some angry put-bull on the loose. it was a mix, predominately german shepherd. and it was a year old. see the pic below...

plus the person said "i guess he showed his teeth and the cop just shot him", meaning they didn't witness the puppy doing that, they guessed it did, because why else would a cop shoot a puppy to death in front of a 6 year old child if there wasn't some provocation. at least thats what youd like to think. the witness was giving the cop the benefit of the doubt.

if youre afraid enough of this little thing "showing teeth" at you. not, barking, growling or even moving mind you. i'm sorry but you don't deserve to be a cop. and he was fired with good reason so good riddance.
edit on 29-7-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Using this bit of info. one would have ask then is there some sort of operation going on where instead of having to book a certain amount of J walkers or whatever that there is some sort operation going on to instill a fear in the public by having so many dogs shot in such a fashion, like in front of young children or anyone for the matter.

I believe about a year ago this was asked in a thread about a cop shooting someones dog.

Is this some sort of initiation.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

About 4.5 million people are attacked by dogs in the USA every year and Pit Bulls are responsible for over half of those attacks.

so educate people about dog breeds and how to train and handle dogs instead of all these shootings and pulling knives out screaming "I am going to gut this animal" before cutting its throat in public by the police.

YES...the cop could have and should have handled it differently...BUT he also has a job to do when a pit bull is loose in the neighborhood.

Yes but in this case the pup would have run of if the cop would tried to simply kick it let alone shoot it.

For a 1 year old to have that aggression it would have be trained and at 12 months would still be more a baby instead of a soldier

The owner seems to admit that her dog "bared it's teeth"

I think the owner suggested it might have not admitted.

But lets say this was a Dalmatian,, a breed of dog that can smile and when doing so their smile could very easily be mistaken for a viscous snarl.

You seem to have misguided ideas about pit bulls and that they should be shot if roaming around the streets.

Yes a very powerful breed that can kill but in this instance a 12 month old showing its teeth is no reason for lethal force especially when the owner is right there and children are around.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov

the dog wasn't some angry put-bull on the loose. it was a mix, predominately german shepherd. and it was a year old. see the pic below...

plus the person said "i guess he showed his teeth and the cop just shot him", meaning they didn't witness the puppy doing that, they guessed it did, because why else would a cop shoot a puppy to death in front of a 6 year old child if there wasn't some provocation. at least thats what youd like to think. the witness was giving the cop the benefit of the doubt.

if youre afraid enough of this little thing "showing teeth" at you. not, barking, growling or even moving mind you. i'm sorry but you don't deserve to be a cop. and he was fired with good reason so good riddance.

Why post that it scared the Sh** out of me, what a monster.

They should have called in the military forces or a drone strike just to be safe.

Sarcasm off.

F*** why not start toddlers that hold up their candy, It could be threatening.

Oops more sarcasm from this cynical bastard.

Look at that pic, just look at it.

Anger building, The green man is about come out and hulk out.

Ok anger residing.

Just looking at that pic now makes me cry.

What a sad world to have police doing this as often as they do in the states.

Please Aussie Cops don't take any cues from our American friends and start shooting family members here in Australia.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You'd save yourself a lot of embarrassment by not citing dogsbite.org.

Their data is flawed out the ass largely by relying on media reports for their "facts." They are to dogs what the Family Research Council is to homosexuals. Essentially a dog hate group.

But if you like the Klans data that's cool.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

What's ironic is that this entire thread is relying on media reports.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I believe the dog should have not have been loose in the first place. The owner is in the wrong and she tramatized her own daughter. Had she put the dog in the back, or in the house, the whole thing would have been avoided. The person who suffered, was the dog, because of his owner's negligence. You can't just place blame on the officer for the entire story. The owner is at fault as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: skulldigger

What's ironic is that this entire thread is relying on media reports.

I suppose. Though it's more difficult for the media to misidentify a human being shooting an animal. What else could it be? An intelligent ape shooting a loaf of bread?

When it comes to specific dog breeds the media has a poor track record. Almost as poor as their record of identifying firearms properly.

Research shows media bias and inaccuracy in dog reports

dogsbite.org also pushes day and night for breed specific legislation which has been denounced as flawed and ineffective by virtually every single humans/dogs interaction and animal welfare groups like the AKC, ASPCA, even the CDC. Official statements against BSL

It'd be like if the OP got the story from a site called copsareevil.org.

Besides, since there has been an investigation and the cop was apparently fired for his actions this event has moved well past simple media reporting.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

lol, a relieving bit of laughter during this depressing ass thread, thank you.

and thanks for that info about that dogbites bullsh!t.

this wasn't the owners fault. he wasn't the one who shot a puppy in front of a six year old. it was the OFFICERS fault and that's why said officer was straight out FIRED by the chief of police! Other police officers aren't even standing up this assh*le, but people here are still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and place blame on the owner? Please...there's no justification here, thats why the officer was fired and there wasn't a hearing or something.

look at the picture of the puppy. if you think that's a threat to your life, leash or no leash, you've got some problems, just like the cop involved.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I wouldn't trust .org anything. There's always a money trail. ALWAYS.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
a reply to: alienjuggalo
Not siding with the cops..but you should know better then to have you dog free roaming when anyone shows up.. even UPS. I do not what to give them any cause to shoot my baby. If you leave you pet off the leash you are asking for issues!
Why would the cops JUST show up?

On my property my dog doesn't need a leash. On my property my dog is free and you're only allowed on my property if I so approve.

Derek

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: damwel
A cop who lived next door to me threatened to 'take us down, take us out' for asking him to turn down his radio.
This was 14 years ago. He was a sniper on the SWAT team.
I moved- now I'm glad I did, I like my house.

Last year, this same cop was busted for manufacturing and selling steroids. I'm in this nice house, and his stinkin' now fat ass is stewing in a cell.
I think about him from time to time, and smile.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

Again...YES...Dogs do in fact maul and kill people. I own a dog that I love, doesn't mean I am obligated to ignore reality.

This was a mix breed, half pitbull and while the owners posted a cute picture, I also find most dogs cute...depending on the moment and disposition.

WHY...was this dog loose in the neighborhood?
WHO...called the police and why?
WHY...did the owner remain in her house when the dog arrived back in the front yard rather than immediately going out to greet the cop and dog? Or make the cop aware that the dog was hers?

It is entirely possible that once the dog returned home (unbeknownst to the officer because the owners apparently stayed inside?) that the dog reverted to territorial and decided the Cop was intruding on the property.

AND if you think dogbites.com is has got it's stories wrong...please show me an example...because people are mauled by dogs and yes killed on a regular basis.

I love dogs...doesn't mean I have to be an idiot and assume stange pitbulls on the loose are cute cuddly friendly puppies. This Cop didn't have the option to walk away. The owner stood inside her house?

So he made a bad choice, but wow...are their some cop hating crazies around here. NO...All Cops don't get off on shooting dogs...Most cops are simply trying to do their jobs with varying degrees of competency.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

You'd save yourself a lot of embarrassment by not citing dogsbite.org.

Their data is flawed out the ass largely by relying on media reports for their "facts." They are to dogs what the Family Research Council is to homosexuals. Essentially a dog hate group.

But if you like the Klans data that's cool.

Please let me know which story they fabricated?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Try shooting your own dog in your front yard....

You'll be brought up on all sorts of animal cruelty charges, but cops do this all day with out so much as a blinking eye.

I guess if you wear a goofy uniform you can act however you wish without any sort of repercussions that would befall any other human in society.

This is progress?

LOL you do Realize that These Cops are just what they would call (( Overseers )) in the Deep Ol' South

Soon Judge Dread will Come to be a Reality Judge Jury Executioner.

Hell We have Cops In All Black Dressed like a Swat Team all Day Everyday !

We have Jackboots Literately Jack Boots State police in Rhode island
They look Like Nazis is that the Motive !?

There was a Time in a Country long ago .............

edit on 29-7-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

WHY...was this dog loose in the neighborhood? WHO...called the police and why? WHY...did the owner remain in her house when the dog arrived back in the front yard rather than immediately going out to greet the cop and dog? Or make the cop aware that the dog was hers?

Did you read the article?

Mother Nicole Echlin told WMAQ that their 1-year-old shepherd-mix Apollo escaped on Friday, and the family was returning home just as officers from the Hometown Police Department were arriving.

And I don't know what kind of experience you have with cops but you don't go running out at one. I am sure when she called out to the dog the cop knew who the dog was.
You say cops don't get off on this but with all the stories out of them killing dogs I have to disagree. They know nothing will happen to them so instead of trying to deal with the dog and chance getting bit, they just shoot them.
And please find me a story of a 1 year old pup mauling and killing some one, did you see the size of the dog? Couldn't of been over 50 pounds.
I love how you are trying to blame this on the owner like she had an option to just stop the cop when he had his gun out. Like running up and stopping him is an option at that point.
Sounds like you are anti-pit tbh, yes they are dangerous but so are most large breed dogs.

that the dog reverted to territorial and decided the Cop was intruding on the property.

Like a dog a is suppose to do?? The cop should know this and be able to handle it with out shooting the poor pup.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

You obviously haven't read the majority of posts in this thread or the multiple articles that I and others have posted, which answer all of those questions. The officer was in the wrong. Again, he was FIRED. That's that. Not even going to waste energy repeating myself.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join