It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Putin Calls U.S. Policy 'Dictatorial'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Vladimir Putin has urged the new US administration to take lessons from the situation in Iraq. A dictatorial foreign policy and mounting violence could derail progress toward bringing peace and democracy to Iraq. "Even if dictatorship is packaged in beautiful pseudo-democratic phraseology, it will not be able to solve systemic problems," Putin said. "It may even make them worse."

Reuters

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin accused the United States on Friday of pursuing a dictatorial foreign policy and said mounting violence could derail progress toward bringing peace and democracy to Iraq.

Putin also criticized the West for setting double-standards on terrorism, pursuing Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan and Iraq while giving refuge to "terrorists" demanding Chechnya's independence from Russia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is serious criticism on Bush's policy, I wonder how W will react on this.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Bush will thumb his nose at it. Puttin's right. Its obvious that Puttin is concerned about planet earth and the Bush dictatorship.
We should be too.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
He will react with his usually shrug on one side and his arrogant remark.

We all know that he will have a temper tantrum behind close doors and Mama Bush will have to come to the white house and calm him down.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Putin is right, and Bush will ignore.
Putin is also headed down that road too it seems.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Nothing will come of this, just like everything else. It will be shrugged off and ignored and our corporate and religious leaders will continue to shape things to their agenda, and people will still be supportive like the cowardly little zombies they are...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just a thought:

Bush was very willing to listen to Puttin when it came to "intelligence", wasnt he?

Selective Hearing: Will only hear what he wants to.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
and there's nothing dictatorial in restructuring the entire government so you can assume communism level powers. Putin is the pot calling the kettle black, and I'm amazed that so many ats users are blind to this. very disapointing.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I dont think anyone here is praising Putin for his leadership. He is certainly right about the dictatorial nature of Bush's foreign policy, though.

Any third world child could see this.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
and there's nothing dictatorial in restructuring the entire government so you can assume communism level powers. Putin is the pot calling the kettle black, and I'm amazed that so many ats users are blind to this. very disapointing.

Well actually Putin may have a point, democracy is turning into a horrible ordeal for the Iraqi people as now, and elections only on one side of the population is not going to make it any better.

And for double standards US has used them all the time so what is the point.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone

Putin has his own problems but he is right about the way things are going in Iraq.

Have you heard of the rules people in Fallujah will have to follow now?

Retina scans and mandatory ID cards for all returning residents, no cars allowed, a curfew, restrictions that say they can not leave the vicinity of their homes or aid facilities and no congregating. The rules they must follow, will be carried by every single male who receives an identification card. Certain infractions will result in deadly use of force.

Sounds like one of the worlds worst dictatorships to me.

Read my thread to see video clips on this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Indeed. And of course the "new USSR" appears to be partnering with regional neighbor China-- but I'm sure that's nothing to worry about!!
The best part is that PUTIN gained another 4-year term back in March 2004. Thus it is likely that this issue will only escalate.

And just to solidify the notion that this centralization of power is not a "theory"... a quote from the CIA world factbook:

While some progress has been made on the economic front, recent years have seen a recentralization of power under Vladimir PUTIN and an erosion in nascent democratic institutions. A determined guerrilla conflict still plagues Russia in Chechnya.

www.cia.gov...

Follow the money?

In addition, a string of investigations launched against a major Russian oil company, culminating with the arrest of its CEO in the fall of 2003, have raised concerns by some observers that President PUTIN is granting more influence to forces within his government that desire to reassert state control over the economy.

www.cia.gov...

MK

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It was kinda funny reading what Putin had to say, in a twisted sort of way. It was further confirmation of what a lot of folks have been saying for a long time, but have been labeled anti-American for saying it. If anyone would know about dictatorships, Putin would.

Like many have said already on this thread, Putin�s remark will either go completely over Bush�s head or he will just arrogantly ignore it altogether, never giving what was said any further thought. Too bad we have a President so thick headed and unwilling to listen to anything that doesn�t fit his own agenda. We may dearly pay for it one day; like we haven�t already ...

Bush said it in one of the debates with Kerry, �I know how the world works.�. Unfortunately, he, and a lot of voters, actually believed what he said. That attitude will get us into a heap of trouble some day. I thought it was hillarious, though, considering he had never even been overseas before becoming President the 1st time.

It seems a day doesn�t go by for me that something doesn�t bring the image to my mind of Bush skipping along the yellow brick road to the Gates of Hell, with his vast, sheepish following skipping gleefully behind, worshipping the ground he walks/skips on �

[edit on 12/3/2004 by netbound]

[edit on 12/3/2004 by netbound]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
MKUltra, it seems that some liberals think that Russia is alright now even thou most of the same people that were in power when it was known as a "communist country" are in power now in one way or another....

Putin talking about the U.S. policy being a dictatorship?.... Putin told the world to stay away from what happened/and is still happening in Bosnia, and now he also told the world to stay away from the problems of the Ukraine. What about Putin's plan to abolish popular elections so he can appoint Russia's governors?....isn't that a sign of a dictatorship?...

Here is a link that corroborates what i said above.
news.bbc.co.uk...

What about Putin shutting down the last independent television station in Russia?...or his new anti-American campaign? or his clamping down on freedom of speech in Russia?...

Here are some links relating to this thread.

NEWS: Putin To World: Hands Off Ukraine!

NEWS: Russian Special Forces Invade Kiev in Disguise

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The spectacle of Vladimir Putin, of all people, criticizing U.S. policy as "dictatorial" is absolutely hilarious. That people are actually buying that line is even more comical, but people will believe what they want to believe.

Of course, Putin's label could be applied to anyone who fails to respect the dictatorial policies of others -- especially his, to paraphrase Ambrose Bierce.

Oh well, it's not like hypocrisy is an endangered species in the modern world.

An Interesting Perspective On Vladimir Putin

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Putin has his own problems but he is right about the way things are going in Iraq.

Have you heard of the rules people in Fallujah will have to follow now?

Retina scans and mandatory ID cards for all returning residents, no cars allowed, a curfew, restrictions that say they can not leave the vicinity of their homes or aid facilities and no congregating. The rules they must follow, will be carried by every single male who receives an identification card. Certain infractions will result in deadly use of force.

Sounds like one of the worlds worst dictatorships to me.

I agree with you Ace sad but true, democracy Mr. Bush style in Iraq is going to bring a lot supporters alright.

Yeah, Putin been a "bad leader" can smell another bad leader across the sea.

I wonder when the scan, national IDs and chip implants on our bodies will be force on us.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Bush will see to it that a dictatorship is in place in Iraq.

No cars, curfews, no congregating.... That will be this country before you know it.

Some of you who fancy yourselves so smart cannot see this.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Some of you who fancy yourselves so smart cannot see this.

Not everyone can be a prophet, but more importantly, not every prophet can be correct in predicting the future.

The only thing that is certain is that all of us are wrong about something.

Looking to Vladimir Putin for advice on avoiding dictatorship, whatever the future may hold, is demonstrably ill-advised.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Democracy is an illusion at the moment. Choose your reality.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Majic, good on you to mention Bierce. what a man.

Putin. remember him? remember a little while ago when he consolidated power and stepped a few giant steps towards dictatorship? well, i do.

im not saying hes completely wrong, but

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join