It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well-connected people buying land/building bug out locations in rural areas...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'll lend you guys a hand. If a good sized rock from space crashes into the Atlantic, big enough to create a mega-tsunami, what would the western hemishpere's financial situation be like?

Present maps and show all work. You may be enlightened...

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In a financial collapse, S will definitely hit the fan, and chaos will ensue. Without a well stocked bunker, things will get ugly pretty fast.
There's enough anecdotal evidence to believe that the top 1% have their underground cities well prepared.

The thing that concerns me the most is the water supply. Fracking is ( IMO ) depleting the aquifers all over America faster than nature can replenish them, and the waste water from their operation is poisoning wells and surface water.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I wish it would just hurry up already, it seems we're just flogging a dead horse now. I feel so disenfranchised with this current paradigm I can barely function. It may seem a bit selfish to be hoping for some kind of major calamity but I honestly think we need it now, we are not gonna change our ways untill it becomes a necessity, i'm reminded of the film The Day The earth Stood Still -

Professor Barnhardt: There must be alternatives. You must have some technology that could solve our problem.
Klaatu: Your problem is not technology. The problem is you. You lack the will to change.
Professor Barnhardt: Then help us change.
Klaatu: I cannot change your nature. You treat the world as you treat each other.
Professor Barnhardt: But every civilization reaches a crisis point eventually.
Klaatu: Most of them don't make it.
Professor Barnhardt: Yours did. How?
Klaatu: Our sun was dying. We had to evolve in order to survive.
Professor Barnhardt: So it was only when your world was threated with destruction that you became what you are now.
Klaatu: Yes.
Professor Barnhardt: Well that's where we are. You say we're on the brink of destruction and you're right. But it's only on the brink that people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. This is our moment. Don't take it from us, we are close to an answer.

edit on 28-7-2014 by GreyGoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What's that line of work you're in that puts you in contact with LOL in the know people? This sounds like another of those I'm incredible smart ask me anything type posts that usually prove to know absolutely nothing. a reply to: Answer

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I can't afford to survive an apocalypse, so my plan is to just live until the SHTF and then quietly die in a corner some place.

Haha star for you, that's my plan as well.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I've noticed a big amount of people have moved into rural places from big cities. They've bought land and built little houses, or big houses(some of them can't help themselves). I've seen many truckloads of bunkers out on the highway for the last 4-5 years too. At least, that's what they looked like to me. But in most rural places, everybody knows everybody knows everybody knows who and where they are where they're from and what they've done. nosey bastards!

I would imagine that these will be the first places that get pillaged in a SHTF scenario.
edit on 28-7-2014 by Fylgje because: to add

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyGoo

Ya know.A SHTF scenario where the government retreats would be a perfect time for The Romeo Kilos to make themselves known. Then astros friends would have no worries about TPTB trying to keep control.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I live in a small town 20 miles west of a big city, Its my home thats where me and the family stay, to protect it and try our best to make it through what ever happens. This place is all we have, and thats where we stay.
edit on 28-7-2014 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
i did this 5 years ago (move to Montana from major metro areas) but i did it to get away from crazy humanity and live in the boonies,but if it does pop off i am confident i can last at least 7-10 months with out any kind of outside aid (state/fed/international)got enough food to feed 6 people for that long,my well is gravity fed from a glacial spring and works when power is off(didn't have power for a week and water kept pumping but it does shut down my uv purifier) there are lots of like minded individuals in my neighborhood and half the population leaves in the winter (snow birds) so not to bad depending on what season shtf in.

if you are seriously worried about some kind of major break down get to know your neighbors befriend them and learn who or what your going to be dealing with and make contingency plans.we have bi monthly meetings in my neighborhood on "disaster prep" and we help each other out when others are in need already somethings broken we fix it,your hungry and need a bit of help between checks toss some food around to help out ,child care the bible camp takes care of (im not religious or have kids but they dont care what your views are) so it all comes down to old fashioned good neighborliness and planning and alot of trust.

in the grand scheme of things Montana is a good place to be if shtf for a variety of reasons

its the third largest state,but has the 4th or 5th lowest population in the usa

it is 95% white so racial tension is almost non existent and most of us are smart enough to not mess with any of the tribes/native peoples and we chase out the white power bastards who try to play mienkamph in our library so we aint that kind of "white"(as a whole mind you there are biggots every where)

while our harsh winter last year took a toll on the deer they look to be having a bumper crop of fawns as ive seen 10 born in my back yard this year alone,but that winter in of its self is one of our shields as alot of people cant hang so its not like lots of people would flee twords mt in the winter

to get here (going west to east ---->)you have to make it through Washington,Idaho and Oregon states i see being in far much more chaos then our sparsely populated state and Idaho has huge white power numbers(and juggaloes) and a higher population of gang activity compared to neighboring states so i think that would cull the heard of migrating hoards looking to strip the land

to get here (going east to west

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Well-connected people buying land/building bug out locations in rural areas...

How is buying another house somewhere else going to save someone from "a total collapse of the United States as we know it"?

This never makes sense to me.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
ah it edited out the rest of my post so sorry if it makes less then normal sense

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: menneni

originally posted by: violet
Anyways the rich people aren't always that bright. They feel invincible because they are used to buying whatever and whoever they want. They will be the first to crumble, as they should.

And why should they, exactly?

The hatred towards successful people is just saddening. Get off your high horse please. Being successful doesn't make anyone bad person, being poor doesn't either.

I agree there is a hatred towards wealthier people.
Not gonna argue that one.

You say successful, I said rich.
Success is not measured by how much money you have in the bank, or what's stuffed away in a cupboard. I'm all for successful people. We just define that word differently.

I think when we post replies, we use our using own experiences, which of course can be biased. I make no apologies for that. I was married to one, so hung around with others. None were genuinely nice people. There's always an ulterior motive when they are charitable.

I've watched innocent people get hurt. Physically and financially.
That's all I will say.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
If this ever does happen... You can find me at John Franco's house.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
We should make a map of were they are especialy those of bankers and politicians.

Then if SHTF we can go kill tnem and steal there supplied

Revenge of the 99%
edit on 28-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: menneni

Its the bankers and politicians that got us into this mess.

If SHTF id have no quarms in killing that sort of human floatsam to stay alive.

For the record im not a total barabarian and would try and work as a community to survive rather than be in a thugish band, but when it comes to bankers and politicians.......no mercy.........kill on site.
edit on 28-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I moved out of a large metropolis back in 2007 and headed for the north country. What truly sparked my awakening was 9/11. I will never forget that morning, as we ran to the store to get extra food and water, and the shelves were empty. One of the people working there, told me that the bread and water was gone within an hour.

I started to look at my environment and surroundings more critically, and carefully. I remember one day being on a notoriously congested freeway, turning to my better and half and asking him what we would do if shtf right now. His answer was scary, but honest. He shrugged his shoulders and said, 'I don't know'. After thinking about it for awhile, he said, 'I would try to find the nearest back road and get us out of the city'. And I said... 'You, and thousands more like you'.

The wheels started turning in my mind. I started to press my husband for more real, serious answers, because part of me knew that the city was literally going to be our death trap, given the situation. I knew that every freeway and back road was going to be filled with panicked people, freaking out, and trying to escape. I don't do panic, very well. I'm the type of person who likes to remain calm and level headed. I like to plan ahead and be prepared, but in the city, I couldn't be those things as well as I wanted to. This made me nervous inside.

His family, who already lived up north suddenly began a conversation about our moving up there with them, and I felt as if this was a sign.

Back then, we were literally living pay check to pay check, working two jobs a piece and scrapping by. I didn't want his parents to pay our way, I wanted us to do this on our own. When my husband decided getting out of the city was what he wanted to do, we made plans on a very tight and limited budget. No savings, no bank account, no... I'm not kidding.

He took $500.00 and drove up north and spent a week looking for work, sleeping in his truck and eating cheap on food that I had packed for him. To my surprise, he landed the job he was after and returned that week to tell me we were leaving in two weeks.

We took our paychecks and put them together and went up on very little. We slept in the truck for almost two weeks until we got an apartment. We had barely two nickles to rub together when he started his new job. It was rough but we ate peanut butter sandwiches and got by until the first check rolled in. Sounds crazy? Oh... it was, and it was a huge risk.

Over the last 8 years of my life, I went from being a city woman, who hated bugs, hated wildlife, hated anything that was not in the city.... to being a woman that can hunt and process my own food. I learned how to cook from scratch, how to prep and can food, and how to live off the land. My family, who are mostly city folk, think I lost my mind. It's okay, because I know that they will be the ones knocking on my door if something happens. It's inevitable.

Now, why did I change my life... well, for many reasons. I didn't feel strong and confident. 9/11 woke me up and showed me how weak I was, and how helpless I felt as I stood in the grocery store and had no way to get water and food for ourselves. I didn't ever want to be in that place again. I cringe whenever I watch the video of the woman begging for help after hurricane Sandy rolled in.... and I vowed to never be that woman because at one time, I was her.

This alone should be everyone's wake up call, if they haven't received it yet

I really don't know what the future holds. Everything may happen, and nothing may happen. But I wake up each day feeling good, knowing that should something happen, that I have a chance. When my husband's work laid him off for two months, I didn't panic. I knew we would not starve because I had been prepping food for two years. This is really what prepping is about to me..... it's about being prepared to face even situations that are not shtf ones. It's about being self reliant so you don't have to rely in the welfare system.

We made our move with very little money. My family still thinks I have made a big mistake because they think all of the opportunities in life are in the city. To me, the city started to look like a death trap.

But, I'm not so ignorant to believe that just because I'm rural doesn't mean I'm untouchable either. I don't think it's ever a good thing to be over confident, but I do feel that I 'm in a much better place than where I was and that I have a fighting chance. Moving away from the city disconnected me from things I really didn't need. You don't really need a taco bell. You don't really need a mcDonald's. You don't really need a fancy cell phone.

Getting here made me realize that my previous life was a bit of a facade, to be honest. What is real is beneath my feet and above my head. I'm more connected to my environment, it's almost, primal. My physical and mental health vastly improved. I could probably write another chapter on this.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Philippines

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
There are some people building bug-out properties, but (ironically it seems) that is why I am planning a bug out strategy from the bug out property I live on now.

In a scenario where people could still drive out from the nearest big city, I have about one hour to head farther north or try to prepare for a stand.

The area is more of a popular resort area now and when I think of all those same idiots that are up every weekend in the summer, over running the area and trying to take over with guns, I'd rather try to walk to Canada, in the winter, up hill, if I had too. If I can drive and still cross the Big Mac, or even if I had to find a boat ride, I'm UP bound.

I hope that they would stay in the city, but they'll be coming up from Indiana and Illinois as well as the larger Michigan cities.

I've been thinking about that as well, the mass exodus of people fleeing to the countryside from the densely populated areas like cities. I think there will be the early birds who understand what's going on and get out before everyone else... But once the masses wake up and try to get out of the city, there will be too much traffic and accidents clogging the roads, so the people would have to walk. This is also assuming FEMA or some other agency doesn't cordon off the cities and keep people in.

Around here if a massive amount of people started flooding into the mountains, I've no doubt people will dynamite the roads and make people try to walk up and down the mountains to find some good samaritan, however a city person going to a farmer asking to be saved doesn't have the best chances of acceptance.

The key though is to bug out as far away from roads as possible, it sounds like you understand that =)

It's already kind of happening where my in laws live. They spent thousands of dollars to get out into the Bitterroot valley 20 years ago, to get away from everything. Unfortunately, land back behind theirs was bought up and the company is going to put track houses out there. The county residents tried to fight it for 7 years but lost. Recently, a road has been paved going back to the new housing district, and a gas station has been erected. Other plots of land around the area has been bought up like wild fire back in 2003 and people have been coming up. Everything they scrapped and saved for is now landing them back where they were and they are looking for another place.

We purposefully chose the area we came to because it is far north, as far as we can get, and it's not popular. Hopefully no one will want to come here, other than the few who totally get it. Moving somewhere not so popular is truly in one's favor, for now.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
What's that line of work you're in that puts you in contact with LOL in the know people? This sounds like another of those I'm incredible smart ask me anything type posts that usually prove to know absolutely nothing. a reply to: Answer

I'm genuinely curious what you hoped to gain by posting this.

I never claimed to be incredibly smart. I have an opportunity to talk to people who work closely with multiple government agencies and I've heard some interesting things that have caused me to take the notion of societal collapse a bit more seriously. I never claimed to have any top secret info, sought anyone's praise, or pretended to be an authority on anything. I don't fully elaborate on all aspects of the story because I don't want to "out" anyone and some people I know in real life frequent this website. That should be understandable considering I'm sharing a story without the consent of all parties involved.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

This is why i think ATS is the best forum around,the level of maturity shown by most members

Said fartsmeller46

Montana seems like a good place. I was looking at inexpensive properties on the Eastern border of WA. Land can be had real cheap. Slap a little cheapo RV out in the boondocks and perhaps bury a cache of food/supplies and I think you would be doing a lot better than most.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

If there was a break down in society/government I would try to survive living in rural USA, but........

.......If there was a nuclear launch I would drive as fast as I could to the nearest ground zero.

End of story.

edit on 28-7-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join