It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we not strive to be God-like?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

"And which God would you particularly like to be like?"

My god is a god of perfect virtue and attainment. My god represents the perfection of possibility.

Can you imagine a humanity that attains near perfect happiness among the creatures of the earth?

"Nothing to kill or die for." What could be more sublime?

I know that it is our destiny, and then God will truly love us.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

"...to get closer to God you must first defeat yourself, the old man that you where must die so that the new man you strive to become may live."

This "defeat" is a rebirth, a renewal in the cycle of humanity, that edges us forward one generation at a time. I picture the ending of Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey". An old man dies and a baby is born. The child becomes more than the man. Our children hold the key to our future.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

Yes we must stumble many time's before we learn to walk, it is a constant battle for some of us though and without a guide many walk off the path into the darkness led by false light.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NotAConsumer

Yes, we may shrug, but the world on our shoulders might fall.

(Whereas Ayn Rand seemed to encourage the shrug, I say that our world deserves our support.)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well,
Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

"I think you're being somewhat optimistic"

Actually I don't think that I am being somewhat optimistic.

I am being wildly optimistic, and I feel justified.

It's not so much where we have been as who we are.

But the real clincher is where we are going, and who we will be.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

"Theres a difference when you say be "God-like," or be "God."

I said we should strive to be God-like. That means that we strive for perfection, not that we are so arrogant as to assume that we could ever be perfect. Let's at least point ourselves in the right direction. That means that we advance and not regress. That is what we call progress.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AphoticJoe

"...a major threat of mankind seeking godhood is the accidental destruction of our own gods."

I wonder if Santa Claus is destroyed when a child reaches that maturity that seems to put such ideas into their place.

I know how offensive this analogy is to some, but to me it's all a matter of evolving human maturity.

The more we discover of this world, the less we are enthralled by mythology.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

"Yes we must stumble many time's before we learn to walk, it is a constant battle for some of us though and without a guide many walk off the path into the darkness led by false light."

A false light is a mirage that guides us to oblivion, whereas a true beacon of truth leads us to wisdom.
But are we wise enough to tell the difference?
We have just begun that journey of discovery.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
Many Christian fundamentalists are horrified at the notion that we humans should strive to be God-like. Such arrogance and hubris!
But I would ask you, Why would we not seek to embrace the moral perfection that is God?
Is God's ideal of humanity less than perfect?
I can worship no god that seeks a less than perfect subject.
Should we not strive to be God-like?

to strive to be as much LIKE GOD as possible is different from even thinking of trying to become GOD LIKE...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Yes!
Cleanliness of the heart and of the soul.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: demus

"to strive to be as much LIKE GOD as possible is different from even thinking of trying to become GOD LIKE..."

Therein lies the key. If we strive to be more god-like, but we fall short, then we have still moved forward.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
with longer life spans and different lenses for seeing the universe.

Humanity would be more collectively wise.

Everlasting life is only given to those who maintain a pure heart.

So for those who seek or seek not to be god-like Yet follow the path of the Divine towards the Creator.
Attainment of everlasting life and an unquenchable fire is what you will be. The outcome is God-like, As you will be in Gods image.

Every human is like a catapillar, Awaiting the time for transformation. like the cicada, It may take years. But when it happens they all emerge as one flying. In time when these prophecies are fullfilled so too it will come to pass.
Humanity has an ancient and mystic passed. But wait for the creator, For only the creator can give Divine light.
Humanity does have a Creator, And we are made in the image of our creator. Who was is not and will be.
Like the Horizon, From passed to present.
To where and when it matters the most.

So the story goes. Following the path of holy morality will lead to a fullfilling life in this one and the next.
But the role of the judge is only for one, The first and the last. As it is written.

Now disiguishing between our creator and those that wish to claim his glory. That's another story altogether.
And how can anyone know what they found is the creator? But by awesome and terrorfying displays alone.
For Divinity will prove itself, Only we can personify true divinity as evil or good. Based on human taboo.
What is Divine to you may not be divine to others, But the true divine will make itself known. As we are made in the image of the true Divine.

only a created living being, with a proper morality, knowledge and wisdom should assume such a role as God-like.
To create a machine in such a way would be impossible, for free-will comes from the soul. And Emotion only comes from the living. So in order to create an enlightened perfect being.

A being in flesh in blood must be created, And when properly nurtured and experienced. Only then will such powers be given. To create the perfect being requires nothing less of a carefully developed plot. A divine being that understand pain and suffering, That is emotional and loving. And wise of conciquences, even those that effect not them directly but others. These are the divine plans for the perfect warrior.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Be more god?...

Hell yeah!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Bible is symbolic not literal which results in misinterpretation.
The garden of Eden is within us.
The tree represents our nervous system.
God permitted us use of all fruits on the tree (all our senses);
Except the apple (sex energy);
Once bitten, we were forever enslaved to birth and death, we became mortal.

I have been trying to understanding the christian trinity so I share my thoughts without claiming any truth to them.
We can become one with the son (realization of our true self - our soul)
We can become one with the father (realization of our Global self)
But we cannot become one with the Holy Ghost (an aspect of God that maintains Gods dream)

So we cannot become God because God has three aspects and God permits us only two. But the two aspects of God are what many might consider God.

Lucifer is also misunderstood. We have to realize that nothing could move an inch without Gods will, even Lucifer. The fight between Good and Evil is when there are five in the house. You can work that out yourself by examining the trinity.
edit on 28 7 2014 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
God transcends time and space. Being like that will not be easy to achieve on our own.

I think we get closer when we die. This form (material) is temporary and i think it is wise not to hold on to it and let time do as it should.

We must trust the process, we must trust God. Yup faith, we can and we will.

I think strving to live for thousanda of years is selfish. New replaces the old, if nothing gets old will anything new arise?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

"If there were gods, how could I bear not to be a god? Consequently, there are no gods."

I'm not sure that we can strive to be godlike, but we do strive to make the gods more human.

edit on 28-7-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It's been my experience that those folks that pretend to be Godlike, tend to cop a "holier than thou" attitude" and
their arrogance drives away their friends, family and workmates.

I tend to not trust Christians anymore.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Tough one as we are 'God'(The Creator) already, but the aspiration to become loving and competent co-creators should be an ideal for all to hold high.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Lucifer is also misunderstood. We have to realize that nothing could move an inch without Gods will, even Lucifer. The fight between Good and Evil is when there are five in the house. You can work that out yourself by examining the trinity.

Yes, yes he is. this very comment show's how badly. I cringe every time i see Lucifer referred to as an evil being or being related to Satan.

Lucifer:
noun
1 another name for Satan. (This should be removed from all dictionary's)
edit on 28-7-2014 by JokerThe1st because: added info

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join