It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Year Up, CNN, 60 Minutes, what is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Lets discuss...

What jobs, what research, and only 6 million people?

Sources please....

Yearup.org

Year Up’s mission is to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education.

We achieve this mission through a high support, high expectation model that combines marketable job skills, stipends, internships and college credits. Our holistic approach focuses on students’ professional and personal development to place these young adults on a viable path to economic self-sufficiency.

All for everything they said here but why don't they just call it social injustice and the growing economic despairity between the rich and the poor.

Thats the real issue.

Our program combines hands-on skill development, college credits, and corporate internships to prepare students for success in professional careers and higher education. It’s free of charge (in fact, you receive a stipend), but it requires strong motivation and a lot of hard work.

I like it, the idea of college for every profession is ridiculous i mean give me a break. Let people do what their interested in without starting from 120k $ in debt.

18-24 years old
High school graduate or GED recipient
Of low to moderate income
A U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or have an employment authorization card
Available 5 days a week (Monday-Friday) for the full year of the program
Highly motivated to learn new technical and professional skills

Awesome!

When are we just going to start helping everyone?

No-one is perfect you know.

Also, what is to good to be true usually is.

What say you ATS?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This seems pretty much exactly like AmeriCorps. That provided great opportunities and helped a lot of poor people escape the cycle. Problem is, it is/was run by the government, and as always, welcoming the government into one's personal life leads immediately towards the loss of autonomy and freedom to fully develop as an individual. (I have been below the poverty line my whole life, so I am not speaking from privilege.) A private version could be great -- or it could be a well disguised attempt to recruit for a new massive temp agency which ends up being the new boss, same as the old boss.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Awesome, especially for the kid who can't afford college.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Which is almost everyone in college.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: sepermeru

From what I read, this is not government funded. It is not a government program.
It is a private company run as a non-profit.
Where did you come up with information that it is?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The results have been impressive: according to internal statistics, 84% of alumni are employed or attending school full-time within four months of graduating, earning an average wage of $15/hour ($30,000/year for full-time employees). 100% of qualified students are placed into internships, and 95% of interns meet or exceed partner expectations.[5] A 2011 study by the Economic Mobility Corporation found that graduates of the Year Up program earned, on average, 30% more than a control group. Mark Elliot, President of the Economic Mobility Corporation, remarked that “These are the most exciting evaluation results we’ve seen in youth employment in 20 or 30 years — and the first to show a really substantial earnings gain.”[6]

Found this here.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I did a quick read from wiki after watching their commercial. Their goal is to fit selected young people into a corporate structure.

What I see is that, as we have heard about a number of lower eschelon positions standing empty with in the corporate structure in the past and that the public education system has not kept up with filling this need, this company promises to bring forth enough young folk to fill in these slots.

The public school system was promoted as education for everybody. Though true, what was left unsaid was it was also a training ground for the corporate system to train people to fit into its regimes. Now that the public system has reached its max and no longer feeds the need of the corporate system, programs arise to filter the last few remaining "winners" into its ravenous maw.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Good point. I knew it was to good to be true.

They want robots that got left behind not to create entrepreneurs to create and innovate new industries.

No one wants leadership.
edit on 7/27/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yes, I was being kind when I said "winners".
Robots, yeah, you got it.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I didn't. I said AmeriCorps was, but that this is private, so it might be better. Then I speculated that it could be a way for the company to build a new staffing agency with green recruits.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: sepermeru

Right you are. I miss-read. And I think you have it when you use the term staffing agency for this Year Up.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Wow, yay.

Thats really sad.

I knew it was to good to be true, of course. Someone from wall street trying to help the little guy?

Nah....

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Wow, yay.

Thats really sad.

I knew it was to good to be true, of course. Someone from wall street trying to help the little guy?

Nah....

new topics

top topics

join