It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,500 Ground Zero workers have cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

2,500 Ground Zero workers have cancer

More than 2,500 Ground Zero rescuers and responders have come down with cancer, and a growing number are seeking compensation for their illnesses, The Post has learned.

The grim toll has skyrocketed from the 1,140 cancer cases reported last year.

The tragic sum rises to 2,518 when firefighters and EMTs are added. The FDNY, which has its own WTC health program, said Friday it counts 863 members with cancers certified for 9/11-related treatment.

More...

Particularly appalling because we lied to these guys in the first place.

W. House Molded EPA's 9/11 Reports

Rice Reportedly Signed Off On 9/11 "Safe To Breathe" Documents

Documents: Feds, City Knew Of Ground Zero Toxins

(CBS) NEW YORK
Stunning proof has been uncovered that the government knowingly put New Yorkers in harm’s way after 9/11.

CBS 2 News has obtained documents revealing that Lower Manhattan was reopened a few weeks following the attack even though the air was not safe.

The two devastating memos, written by the U.S. and local governments, show they knew. They knew the toxic soup created at Ground Zero was a deadly health hazard. Yet they sent workers into the pit and people back into their homes.

One of the memos, from the New York City health department, dated Oct. 6, 2001, noted: “The mayor’s office is under pressure from building owners … in the Red Zone to open more of the city.” The memo said the Department of Environmental Protection was “uncomfortable” with opening the areas but, “The mayor’s office was directing the Office of Emergency Management to open the target areas next week.”

“Not only did they know it was unsafe, they didn’t heed the words of more experienced people that worked for the city and E.P.A.,” said Joel Kupferman, with the group Environmental Justice Project.

Another part of the memo noted: “The E.P.A. has been very slow to make data results available and to date has not sufficiently informed the public of air quality issues arising from this disaster.”

edit on 27-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Something nuclear took out the towers.
Hope the first responders get compensation. And the families.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Something bad happened there and the Government lied to us. That much, we know for sure, now.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The article doesn't even give any explanations. Just the smoke is causing cancer or what is going on. How did they know to have a fund ready for people who were going to get sick from this? I am so confused from this. Anyone hear what exactly they link the cancer to?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IBossJekler

I was going to say the same thing, the article doesn't exactly pin it down to anything, was it the asbestos that was mentioned at the end? Or just general thick ash/smoke getting in their lungs? I don't think they would have used chemicals, I think we would have seen the damage that would have caused by now...Although I wouldn't put it past Bush...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
First thought is Mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure from building materials from when the World Trade Center towers were built..

Second thought... Who really knows what brought down the towers and it could be from some unknown demolition product...

It sucks when hero's are dealt such crappy hands.... I hope these cancers are treatable..

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Which is not surprising with the amount of debris in the air during the event and the aftermath, but at least they foresee the cancer cases would happen and put up a fund to support the victims.
edit on 27-7-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Yeah fingers crossed that's all the cases there are and they get what they're owed.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

More proof of the thermite used to melt the steel...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
And Christie Todd Whitman is still just grinning from ear to ear, she now hides behind, Christine Whitman to avoid the fuss.

www.whitmanstrategygroup.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is bad though (if true), first time I've heard about it..The fact they knew the debris and whatever else would be deadly to breath in and purposely told the public it was safe, absolute psychopaths, how is this not a blatant false flag?

W. House Molded EPA's 9/11 Reports

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The tragic sum rises to 2,518 when firefighters and EMTs are added. The FDNY, which has its own WTC health program, said Friday it counts 863 members with cancers certified for 9/11-related treatment.

I also wonder what the numbers become when you include the civilians near the area that were told it was safe for them to return to their homes and places of work shortly after.

edit on 27-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoovDawg

Trust me, I'm a believer in thermite being used too, but do we know thermite causes cancer when exposed to it? I honestly think it's likely asbestos.. Asbestos was banned from the US in 1989 and the WTC towers were built in 1972. It's also known that asbestos was used in the construction of the towers.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Your likely culprit for the cancer...

During the time when the World Trade Center was planned and constructed, asbestos was a very prevalent building material. It was highly heat resistant, easy to incorporate into a number of materials and relatively inexpensive. As a result, asbestos-containing products like insulation, drywall, steel and fireproofing materials were incorporated into a number of structures within the World Trade Center buildings. An estimated 400 tons of asbestos were used.

When the Twin Towers collapsed to the ground on September 11, 2001, a massive cloud of smoke, dust and debris released these hazardous asbestos fibers and other toxic substances into the air. Asbestos fireproofing materials from 20 stories of the towers came showering down on New York City. According to reports from the EPA, the implosion from the towers "pulverized asbestos to ultra-fine particles."

The World Trade Center Health Registry estimates about 410,000 people were exposed to a host of toxins including asbestos during the rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts that followed 9/11. People most affected by asbestos at Ground Zero were people assigned to rescue survivors. These workers were among the first on the scene and the last to leave the wreckage. Search and rescue workers and others responsible for cleaning up the debris in the months after the towers collapsed were also exposed to asbestos.

Asbestos.com
edit on 27-7-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is the condition they had to work in.

An older article that explain a bit more and that it is expected.

CLICK ME

One thousand 9/11 first responders have been diagnosed with cancer since coming into contact with Ground Zero - and doctors expect the number to rise.

As many as 65,000 people, including first responders, became sick from 9/11 exposure, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Something in that building, when heated, gave off fumes that causes something in the body to happen where you can't fight cancer correctly. Could be an endocrine disruptor that accumulates in the body and can't get excreted. Probably some sort of plastic or polyurathane product. There is so much stuff created today that there is no testing for long term damage. If you have a little tiny fire in your house in one room, you can die from the inhaled fumes. A friend of mine is a firefighter and he knows of a lot of this stuff from training. We got rid of a lot of the stuff in our house with these chemicals in them. Polyurathane is one of the worst in my mind, because it is on a lot of furniture.

What happened to varnish and stains, they made your throat burn when you breathed the fumes when they burned but they didn't kill you.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

9/11 leaves an awful legacy.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: BoovDawg

Trust me, I'm a believer in thermite being used too, but do we know thermite causes cancer when exposed to it? I honestly think it's likely asbestos.. Asbestos was banned from the US in 1989 and the WTC towers were built in 1972. It's also known that asbestos was used in the construction of the towers.

Ye the asbestos will definitely contribute but thermite fumes do cause cancer

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
This is the condition they had to work in.

And not a face mask in sight.

WHY NOT?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Much, much higher.

My sister lived in the red zone. Died 6 years later of some strange lung disease.

edit on 7/27/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join