It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Bonds unknowingly used steroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Barry Bonds said he did take steroids, but he didn't know it! He told a grand jury he was unaware that the clear cream was steroid based.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know they were steroids, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday.

msn.foxsports.com...

The substances Bonds described were similar to ones known as "the clear" and "the cream," two steroids from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, the lab at the center of the steroid scandal.

Is this the case of another "innocent" athlete hiding the fact that they knew about the illegal substance, but used it anyway? Or was he really unaware?
I think these guys know exactly what they are putting into their bodies, too much money is at stake, if the don't stay at top form there is always someone waiting in the wings to take their place. Unfortunate but true is the fact that this level of sports put such a demand on these guys that they probably will do anything to keep their million dollar jobs!

[edit on 3-12-2004 by jeeze louise]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
All that he needed to do was not ask what his suppliers were giving him, even though he may have let them know some how (via proxy or however) what he wanted. Then he can claim he didn't know he was taking steroids.
Baseball is losing more and more respect from me because of this drug problem in the league.

Hey MLB, make baseball a clean game and I might go to a ML Baseball field again!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am having a little trouble believing he didn't have a clue.
Come on, how many people blindly take substances on a regular basis and don't know what they are? He didn't have a clue when his body started to change? Noone he knew suggested or questioned him about steriods?
I dunno......

The MLB needs to do something and fast. Like random drug tests, including the off season.
And, perhaps they could suggest he dive up those records, or at least qualify them.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Bonds would have to be in a coma not to know that there was something going on with his body. Furthermore, he would have too have been a dunderhead not to make a connection. As the article states, these men know what is going into their bodies. They have to much at stake not to know. Moreover, as athletes they are more in tune with their bodies than the rank and file.

I don't watch professional baseball, football, or basketball, anymore. I love the games, but I have no respect for those who play the game and that's where its at for me.

I like the motor sports, but I believe that in time NASCAR will travel down the same road. The state of utter corruption in the big three didn't happen overnight. It was gradual.

It won't change until the people speak with their dollars. The fans are as much at fault as the players and the leagues, because the fans have stayed with the sports through every outrage and every stage of the incremental decline.

Think about that every time you tune into a game or buy a product from an advertiser that sponsors the games or pays for an endorsement. The advertisers would not spend the money, if the patrons were not there. If the players are overpaid, they are overpaid by you.

[edit on 04/12/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Grady, some of us could agrue that NASCAR has already joined the ranks of ruined sports.
$$$$$ seems to be the driving factor. It's not the same as it was just a few years ago. Too PC, too. Dale is turning over in his grave.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I honestly don't know how to properly respond to this. Whether or not it was true that Bonds didn't know that he took steroids I believe is irrelevant because I believe we as adults should be responsible and held accountable for our actions. Barry Bonds should have been taking vitamin supplements to give his body the nutrients he needed in order to perform on the baseball field. But instead he trusted someone he only thought he could trust. The biggest question is, how long had he been taking them? And even more so, did he even try to go to another source other than his personal trainer (an outside source) who could have validated whatever it was he thought he was taking. See I don't truly believe Mr. Bonds. I do respect him as a great baseball player though. At this point however, I don't think it really matters. What does matter is what MLB will do in response as well as what will happen in the future to players who violate the drug and steroid policies in the future. These players should be banned from the league in my opinion. If they don't want to follow the rules regardless of who they are then they don't deserve to play. The league is much bigger than any one player not taking anything from Mr. Bonds but lets face it, he didn't make the league and he most certainly doesn't make the rules either. Let The Truth Be Told.

top topics

join