It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Massive Cane Corso Dogs Maul To Death Michigan Jogger

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I chalk it up to 'if the owner is an ass likely the dogs are too'. I have worked rescue for many years and have not come across a bad dog! Many I have taken in were abused or totally feral and have killed. Yes they do that to live. Unfortunately many people take away food to make a dog 'mean' thinking they are training. Yes the owner should be criminally responsible and I feel for these dogs because he didn't provide a life for them!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical

Unfortunately your dog has had a hard time, but as an owner it is on your shoulders to make sure he feels safe and does no harm. Sounds like you do that, but have you taken him to any training for his reactions? This guarding can be trained out of him. I also find working one on one with the dog makes for a better bond and helps with trust issues. ( especially if he has been abused)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
If you pass it on to the master, that is a bail out, the dogs are evil and nothing will bring back that mans life today or tomorrow.

Dogs are not "evil". They are animals. Some are aggressive, for sure. Some pitbulls, rotties, GSDs, some Shih tzus, poodles or chihuahuas are aggressive. IF a person has an aggressive dog, or a breed that has the potential to hurt a human should it act aggressively, it is the person's responsibility to contain, train, manage or otherwise control the dog, so it cannot hurt other people or animals.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
But you are not like the guardian of these animals, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you invite someone to your home, you expect your furry friends to behave just as much as you expect your guests to. Right? You also are mindful if you have a dog that will bite. You respect your fellow humans enough not to allow your animals to treat them badly, in any way.

Absolutely. If I have an aggressive dog (or even just a rude dog), it's my responsibility to see that it doesn't have the opportunity to disrespect or hurt other humans or animals.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Iressponsible dog owners, and stewardship. First to allow dogs to run around unleashed, second; to profess knowledge that the aforementioned dogs are "aggressive" and third; for the local government to allow these dogs to live after 2 previous attacks.

It's a tragedy that could have been avoided.

I know I'm not the only dog owner in these forums, but I have a very strict approach to dogs and aggressiveness; it's not allowed. Period. I trained my dogs to not be food aggressive, never touch teeth to human skin and I'm quite sure that others have done this as well.

Sadly, a large majority of dog owners don't seem to give a flip about the "what could happen" anymore. It's as if an entire generation of owners doesn't want to take responsibility for the actions of their dogs. Sad, and downright frightening.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Klassified
But you are not like the guardian of these animals, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you invite someone to your home, you expect your furry friends to behave just as much as you expect your guests to. Right? You also are mindful if you have a dog that will bite. You respect your fellow humans enough not to allow your animals to treat them badly, in any way.

Absolutely. If I have an aggressive dog (or even just a rude dog), it's my responsibility to see that it doesn't have the opportunity to disrespect or hurt other humans or animals.

Correct. Deny the opportunity. A responsible pet owner will control the environment as much as possible, in order to deny the stimulus that elicits the "bad" or aggressive behavior. And slowly de-sensitize the animal to that stimulus to create effective behavior controls.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: Klassified

Iressponsible dog owners, and stewardship. First to allow dogs to run around unleashed, second; to profess knowledge that the aforementioned dogs are "aggressive" and third; for the local government to allow these dogs to live after 2 previous attacks.

It's a tragedy that could have been avoided.

I know I'm not the only dog owner in these forums, but I have a very strict approach to dogs and aggressiveness; it's not allowed. Period. I trained my dogs to not be food aggressive, never touch teeth to human skin and I'm quite sure that others have done this as well.

Sadly, a large majority of dog owners don't seem to give a flip about the "what could happen" anymore. It's as if an entire generation of owners doesn't want to take responsibility for the actions of their dogs. Sad, and downright frightening.

THIS^^^!

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: homeschoolmom

Unfortunately your dog has had a hard time, but as an owner it is on your shoulders to make sure he feels safe and does no harm. Sounds like you do that, but have you taken him to any training for his reactions? This guarding can be trained out of him. I also find working one on one with the dog makes for a better bond and helps with trust issues. ( especially if he has been abused)

I have worked one on one with him. That's why he trusts me and protects me when anyone ever approaches me. He gets very jealous if anyone takes my time away from him. He is very insecure. My dog looks like Benevolents avatar. He is a cross between a chow/shepard.
edit on 28-7-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
I trained my dogs to not be food aggressive, never touch teeth to human skin and I'm quite sure that others have done this as well.

A video of my dogs eating their first raw meal.

s116.photobucket.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked
Deer don't talk and are a great source of food. You watched Bambi at an impressionable age, didn't ya?? lol

Meanwhile, back on the ranch, people are responsible for their pets PERIOD. I had some people move in a house for rent down the road from me a long time ago. I went to take out the trash and next thing I know I'm being charged by a pitbull. It meant business. But so didn't I. I had my pistol on me and I shot it and killed it.

I love dogs and would never hurt one unless it was the only way out. I stopped at these peoples house and told them what had happened and they didn't care the least bit. A month later, they got two more pit bulls. The second I saw the dogs I stopped at their house and asked them nicely to keep their dogs on their property because a lot of people had kids in the area. It was met with the usual BS. "Oh, they're friendly and would never bite".

To make a long story short, their dogs attacked and killed chickens, goats and cows until a farmer shot and killed them after he caught them mauling one of his cows---that he ended up having to put down. These people moved quickly from the neighborhood but it did them no good as the farmer had the police track them down and through court, made them pay for damages.

I keep my animals to myself and would never burden my neighbors with them. I think if you have animals then you should keep them to yourself. I don't like my patio furniture and other outdoor area smelling like nasty cat piss. I don't and will never own a cat but I still get to enjoy that wonderful stench.

I hate to hear stories of dogs attacking and killing people because it is so preventable if only people would do what they supposed to. If your dog kills somebody then you are responsible as if you done it yourself, as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Some dogs become aggressive when people approach their property.

Not aggressive but territorial which can lead to aggression as there is fear in the dog.

If an person insists on entering there are 2 outcomes, the dog does become aggressive or it runs away, the dogs that run will turn aggressive if cornered, most dogs that are territorial will do the run and its only trained guard dogs that protect their property with aggression first.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Some dogs become aggressive when people approach their property.

Not aggressive but territorial which can lead to aggression as there is fear in the dog.

If an person insists on entering there are 2 outcomes, the dog does become aggressive or it runs away, the dogs that run will turn aggressive if cornered, most dogs that are territorial will do the run and its only trained guard dogs that protect their property with aggression first.

Ah, okay. He is territorial. Very territorial. I never trained him to be like that though and he is stubborn as an mule.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Ah, okay. He is territorial. Very territorial. I never trained him to be like that though and he is stubborn as an mule.

Oh "very" could be an understatement in many dogs.

I believe it males that are more territorial but females will be more protective of their owners, as in not giving as much trust to strangers than a male would, in my experience that is.

I have had Rotties, both male and female, lived with a few other mixed breeds all being male and its the female that has shocked me with the aggression that she can show to a stranger or another dog if provoked that has shocked me a little. But I guess it s the motherly instincts of female dogs to protect what theirs, be it their master or pup.

My male rottie was laugh when he would get territorial when I would come home in disguise, he weighed 65 kg and was a big boy, yet was a timid as pussy cat if you got close enough to scare him where he would take steps back or run of barking to come back and see if I was gone to hit the brakes when he saw I was still at the fence, that is until I spoke and he heard my voice, then he was sooking like a baby that his daddy was home.

My female is a little more quite and just stares, she will bark but its her stare and pose that make you crap your pants if you don't know her.

She inst really aggressive but more of an attention seeker and at times will bark at you (a guest coming over) if you don't give her the attention she expects of all that come onto her property which in turn can easily be interpreted as being aggressive to someone that doesn't know her.

A stubborn mule is exactly what larger male breeds are, be it rotties and any other large breed that have a loving master, they take advantage and always try and get their way, Man I miss my stubborn mule as you call em.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale
He's a he/she then. My family members can't get close to me without him becoming aggressive or territorial. I always have to hide him and put him in a room. I am not sure if he was abused, apart from the pit bull attack, but he does not like anybody but me, and I fear if I ever do leave this world, he will be depressed.

I am actually surprised he gets along with this cat I saved from a tree. Took him 9 months just to get used to her. Now, their best buds and can't seperate them. She at least socializes him, which I think is healthy. But even still, he's protective of her, like he is me. So, I am not sure if that is helping.

He is unpredictable.

He is a spoiled boy, as is she. They steal all my food and gang up on me. I get two bites and they get the rest. They own me. I do the best I can to make those two happy and to keep them out of trouble.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I've been looking to get a cane corso as a family protection dog please people do some research into them as they are known for their great sense of family and protection of said family

Like all dogs they are products of their environment

They are beautiful dogs

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

My family members can't get close to me without him becoming aggressive or territorial.

Is there any tensions between you and members of your family?

Be it something from the past that wasn't properly resolved or forgiven.

No need to answer, Its just me brainstorming for ideas that might explain their behavior, which I believe they have a 6th sense of sorts and are great judges of character.

However it could be an issue from the dogs past, like being mistreated or attacked that could trigger these behaviors.

A mistreated dog will still be loyal to his master that abuses him until the dog completely breaks at a older age and goes insane.

Its good to have that bond and its only you who has that bond that can rehabilitate the dog or instill a new behavioral pattern for him to follow.

I am not sure if he was abused, apart from the pit bull attack, but he does not like anybody but me, and I fear if I ever do leave this world, he will be depressed.

How old was he when yous became companions?

From the sounds of it he will be by your side and shares your life force.

Do not fear leaving this world, its easier said than done so sorry for saying it but its what I believe.

He is a spoiled boy, as is she. They steal all my food and gang up on me. I get two bites and they get the rest. They own me. I do the best I can to make those two happy and to keep them out of trouble.

Yes, this could be one of the issues he doesn't want any body else around you, he is your master by the looks of things.

Please don't take that as a bad thing, I love to spoil my kids as well but the truth that I am still dealing with is if you spoil them too much you might be creating an unhealthy environment for them.

You need to be the alpha dog and they need to follow, I know its extremely hard, that is how and why I lost my Tyson, I couldn't take responsibility and be the alpha he needed me to be and died at 6 years old in my arms in the backyard on a Sunday afternoon.

Its a slow process to out smart our dogs that have us trained so well.

I am only now getting on top of being Alpha dog of the house, Tyson passed almost 2 years ago and Sonja my female rottie is starting to get a little overweight so need to really step my game up because its my fault Tyson died so young and I couldn't live with myself if I made the same mistakes again with Sonja.

Like I said to my sister the other day its difficult for humans to look after dogs or certain breed of dogs as they should be looked after when there is much ignorance or there was plenty in the past and it seems here in Australia that vets are trying to educate dog owners more and give as much info as possible to make sure the vet doesn't see them other than their yearly vaccination.

Soon I am going to have socialize Sonja with my sisters kitten who is going to move in soon, that will be a challenge, it will be a circus.

A circus because she also has a Dalmatian that gets along very well with Sonja so I hope Nala (my sisters Dal.) will sort of show Sonja how to act around Simba (my sister kitten).

I really don't know where I am going with this, just waffling on I guess with no real point other than if you need any advice, I know there are few ATS members that are vets or some sort of animal workers as they claim but from their posts its obvious they know what they are talking about.

If you need any advice on behavioral training for your dog, if you start a thread I am almost certain the right members will help out with info as best they can.

I recall a thread not to long ago about a member asking for advice to train their pup or something there abouts.

In the chit chat forum of ATS is where you will find these threads as ATS hasn't got an Animal and pets forum yet.

Just wondering what you boys name?

All the best, and you are not as diabolical as your screen name says but more of an angel as your avatar shows, hey it seems you love your pets as i love mine, nothing diabolical about it.

much love

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer
I've been looking to get a cane corso as a family protection dog please people do some research into them as they are known for their great sense of family and protection of said family

They are beautiful dogs

Here here,

let me quote the most important part again so it sinks in

Yes, bingo jack pot.

We domesticated them and have created the environment in which they live.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Glad you agree pal

People always bleat on when it's a big dog attract never mind last summer or the summer before a jack tussle ripped a new born baby to pieces

That wasn't all over the news a few small segment that's it!

I have a British bulldog bitch ATM and she wonderfull with all the kids around the neighbourhood but anyone goes near them who she don't recognise she's alert and ready to protect, she will bark and get in between but will not attract without command

Because that's how I've taught her, she's a product of my environment

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

My family members can't get close to me without him becoming aggressive or territorial.

Is there any tensions between you and members of your family?

Be it something from the past that wasn't properly resolved or forgiven.

No need to answer, Its just me brainstorming for ideas that might explain their behavior, which I believe they have a 6th sense of sorts and are great judges of character.

However it could be an issue from the dogs past, like being mistreated or attacked that could trigger these behaviors.

A mistreated dog will still be loyal to his master that abuses him until the dog completely breaks at a older age and goes insane.

Its good to have that bond and its only you who has that bond that can rehabilitate the dog or instill a new behavioral pattern for him to follow.

I am not sure if he was abused, apart from the pit bull attack, but he does not like anybody but me, and I fear if I ever do leave this world, he will be depressed.

How old was he when yous became companions?

From the sounds of it he will be by your side and shares your life force.

Do not fear leaving this world, its easier said than done so sorry for saying it but its what I believe.

Yes, this could be one of the issues he doesn't want any body else around you, he is your master by the looks of things.

Please don't take that as a bad thing, I love to spoil my kids as well but the truth that I am still dealing with is if you spoil them too much you might be creating an unhealthy environment for them.

You need to be the alpha dog and they need to follow, I know its extremely hard, that is how and why I lost my Tyson, I couldn't take responsibility and be the alpha he needed me to be and died at 6 years old in my arms in the backyard on a Sunday afternoon.

Its a slow process to out smart our dogs that have us trained so well.

I am only now getting on top of being Alpha dog of the house, Tyson passed almost 2 years ago and Sonja my female rottie is starting to get a little overweight so need to really step my game up because its my fault Tyson died so young and I couldn't live with myself if I made the same mistakes again with Sonja.

Like I said to my sister the other day its difficult for humans to look after dogs or certain breed of dogs as they should be looked after when there is much ignorance or there was plenty in the past and it seems here in Australia that vets are trying to educate dog owners more and give as much info as possible to make sure the vet doesn't see them other than their yearly vaccination.

Soon I am going to have socialize Sonja with my sisters kitten who is going to move in soon, that will be a challenge, it will be a circus.

A circus because she also has a Dalmatian that gets along very well with Sonja so I hope Nala (my sisters Dal.) will sort of show Sonja how to act around Simba (my sister kitten).

I really don't know where I am going with this, just waffling on I guess with no real point other than if you need any advice, I know there are few ATS members that are vets or some sort of animal workers as they claim but from their posts its obvious they know what they are talking about.

If you need any advice on behavioral training for your dog, if you start a thread I am almost certain the right members will help out with info as best they can.

I recall a thread not to long ago about a member asking for advice to train their pup or something there abouts.

In the chit chat forum of ATS is where you will find these threads as ATS hasn't got an Animal and pets forum yet.

Just wondering what you boys name?

All the best, and you are not as diabolical as your screen name says but more of an angel as your avatar shows, hey it seems you love your pets as i love mine, nothing diabolical about it.

much love

Him and I have a bond. And I don't pressure him past that bond. My father, on the other hand does, and it works for him. My father, gets him past the pressure point. I will not however, force him past the pressure point. Not like my dad. But those two, have never collided like the rest of the family. They get along and can go a block without me. Without him, forget it. He plays the stubborn mule act, and I will not force him to go for a one house walkie. If he does not feel safe, then why force him.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

We're trying to understand how the dogs weren't put down after the last incident.....or the first incident.
Now, someone has died and t he dogs....at last we heard....are still alive???

The city failed it's citizens.

The owners should be responsible.....but weren't....to allow their dogs out loose and unattended is a no brainer.
If there is no prompt action from the authorities...they will be the only ones left to sue...as the owners will be long gone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join