It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Five Bombs Detonate in Madrid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
ETA separatists called in bomb threats to Spanish media this morning, indicating that 5 bombs were planted in Madrid and set to go off simultaneously at 12:30pm EST. Five explosions have now occurred at different gas stations in the city. The explosions were apparently relatively small and there are no reports of any casualties at this time. Only very minor injuries are being reported.

Reuters
Four explosions were reported at petrol stations in the Madrid area on Friday, Spanish radio stations said, following a phone warning in the name of the armed Basque separatist group ETA to a Basque newspaper.

The caller said five bombs had been left and were set to explode at 12:30 p.m. EST, Basque newspaper Gara reported on its Web site on Friday.

Radio stations later reported four explosions.

The blasts were small and no casualties were reported, the reports on Radio Ser and National Radio said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least one explosion occurred near a major thoroughfare, causing massive traffic backups. Live video shows a tremendous amount of gridlocked traffic. Emergency crews are on the scene. Officials have now advised residents not to leave town, calling traffic a "top level emergency."

Only minor damage is being reported, and the lack of casualties is due to the warning, which prompted evacuations of the areas where the bombs were located.

This story is still developing, more information as it becomes available.

Related News Links:
bbc.co.uk

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 12-4-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good find Banshee

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I just heard that now there are four explosions. All at gas stations. And apparently no injures have been reported.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Says no casualties have been reported. TG for that!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here we go... Will it be the first of the warnings that have been given? I think its a reminder, but why there? This is not what I expected. By everyones accounts , your opinions please? Security there would be of the most paromont due to the last incident. Again do we not have eyes, ears to prevent this... We must continue to look into our own backyards... There are snakes! Look into those eyes to know ones heart, or not.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole
Here we go... Will it be the first of the warnings that have been given? I think its a reminder, but why there? This is not what I expected.

ETA is not al-qaida. If a bomb went off in northern ireland, does it have ot be al-qaida? The basque aren't even muslims. The previous madrid bombing sthat killed all those people and were intended to kill all those people are thought to be al qaida.

There were no deaths in these? Thats what ETA usually 'tries' to do, and the caller giving the warning said is was ETA. Besides, al qaida attacked Spain, the spanish dropped out of the Terror War or at least pulled out of iraq, so why would al qaida attack them again?

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is the old ETA stuff, small devices, no one gets killed. Nothing to do with March 11 ...

The illuminati did Madrid, March 11
Teenager jailed for 6 years in Madrid bombing (worst terrorist attack in W Europe soil since 1945)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Monday is a national holiday throughout Spain as is Wednesday. The Monday holiday celebrates the anniversary of the adoption of the Democratic Constitution after the death of General Franco. The long weekend means that there are going to be many more cars on the road this Friday night.

It's just ETA trying to get their name out again.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
NygDan, your reply warrents the same.

" ETA is not al-qaida. If a bomb went off in northern ireland, does it have ot be al-qaida? The basque aren't even muslims. The previous madrid bombing sthat killed all those people and were intended to kill all those people are thought to be al qaida.

There were no deaths in these? Thats what ETA usually 'tries' to do, and the caller giving the warning said is was ETA. Besides, al qaida attacked Spain, the spanish dropped out of the Terror War or at least pulled out of iraq, so why would al qaida attack them again

My thoughts............. are many.
Does the US still have a grip on Madrid(Spain)? If the ETA takes claims for the reasons they wish to convey is not without reason to think they need money to expand on their cause. How little of a regard it might be for Qa. While at the same time allowing a decoy for a bigger effort on Al Qaidas agenda... if nouthing more a reminder of how easy it is to test the Protective system in placed, if there is one.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
There were no deaths in these? Thats what ETA usually 'tries' to do, and the caller giving the warning said is was ETA. Besides, al qaida attacked Spain, the spanish dropped out of the Terror War or at least pulled out of iraq, so why would al qaida attack them again?

Although these attacks seem to be from ETA, Bin Laden and other terrorist groups have said many times that they want all those lands that there theirs in the past, and Spain was one of those lands, so don't expect the 3/11 attacks in Spain to be the last ones from AL Qaeda, perhaps not now because Al Qaeda is hard pressed against many nations, but eventually they will start attacking Spain again until they are either destroyed or they get Spain, parts of France, Italy, Jerusalem, Kashmir and other lands back in the hands of radical Muslims.

Anyways ETA has always made attacks like these in Spain, most of the times they attack police stations or military stations, but many times civilians have died too. ETA was responsible for the death of the last living relative of Cristobal Colon, among many others, or as they call him in the States Christopher Columbus back in the 80s.

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole
Here we go... Will it be the first of the warnings that have been given? I think its a reminder, but why there? This is not what I expected. By everyones accounts , your opinions please? Security there would be of the most paromont due to the last incident. .

Exactly security in that country after the attack before the elections should be top priority in that country.

I think is an internal problem not from outside. But I may be mistaken.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
ETA in the past has always called in warnings well ahead of time to make sure that no people are injured when they blow something up...hence it's no surprise no one was injured in the explosions (although i'm guessing the gas stations are toast, now, unfortunately).

For those who aren't aware, the ETA are Basque separatists; for those who don't know, in certain areas of Spain there is an indigenous non-Spanish population called the Basques, who are culturally and linguistically unrelated to the Spanish (and, actually, to anyone else in Europe; their origins are a bit of a mystery). There's not a whole lot of Basque people, but there's enough of them in certain areas that some of them want self-governance -- the same way the Chechens and Irish in places want self-governance -- and the ETA is a branch of the separatist movement tha considers the usual political proces to have failed them, thus their perceived need to resort to violence.

The ETA has stated several times over that its complaints are with the Spanish government, not the Spanish people, and thus they always give warnings to make sure no Spanish civilians get injured in their attacks; if you had to pick an honorable way to be a terrorist (if such a thing exists, which is pretty debatable) the ETA would be pretty high up on the list of role models.

As a side note: my impression is that the ETA's not very popular even among Basques in favor of secession; seems like ETA's fighting a losing battle.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Muaddib, Ditto on all of that! The cells are large, they have been here a long time. It my appear at times that we are winning the war, but, who will win the battle... To convince me, (Far reaching) it will start once the right people sit in front of each other and draw a line in the Sand, Whats ours is ours, What is yours is yours.... We now know what to protect. Go in Peace, Pray for the agreement that we have agreed upon! We must understand as a world, we agree to disagree, but our efforts are to live beyond those differences.... Can it be done?
This is when I add this concern into my prayers everynight, as does those that are in harms way right now, I suspect they do anyways, hoping for a quick resolve from this Hate

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
ETA is not the same as Al Qaeda, and I doubt the two would see eye to eye on anything -- even terrorism. They both happen to use terrorism as a tool, and that's probably where the similarities end.

I may be mistaken, but this use of simultaneous bombings seems to be inspired by Al Qaeda's trademark style, although it is not unique to Al Qaeda, and not necessarily unprecedented for ETA.

Whatever the case may be with these bombings, it seems that more than one group wants the land that Spain occupies, and Spaniards will not be free of terrorism unless they take dramatic steps to fight it -- and even then, there are no guarantees.

The Tragedy of Andalusia continues...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sad story

Sadder still that Spain invited it when they gave in to the Al Qaida bombers

Weakness invites aggression, always has, always will

Most second graders know that

The Basques have been at it for years, yes, but Al Qaida's success in swaying their elections has everything to do with this.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Some ETA keyfigures where arrested in the last few months i Believe, so I think that this must be a sign that they are still kicking up dirt....

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotemojo
Sad story

Sadder still that Spain invited it when they gave in to the Al Qaida bombers

Weakness invites aggression, always has, always will

Most second graders know that

The Basques have been at it for years, yes, but Al Qaida's success in swaying their elections has everything to do with this.

Gave in? They where fighting a war that had nothing to do with them? what do f&ck does iraq have to with fighting terrorism. ? The leader of spain at the time made the decission WITHOUT asking the people. He got what he deserved. Spain only joined because they wanted polictial gain by going on the side america.

I also blame spain, for importing muslims into their country. They brought it on themselves. Their fathers, cleansed spain from this muslim plague 500 years ago, they let them back in, they murderer they grandsons and grandaughters.

Baques are ther brown ones i believe.

The greens ones are the jihads crusaders. That were thrown into the sea in 1500 century with their lame religion.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sisonek
ETA in the past has always called in warnings well ahead of time to make sure that no people are injured when they blow something up...hence it's no surprise no one was injured in the explosions (although i'm guessing the gas stations are toast, now, unfortunately).

I agree with almost everything you said except a few things. ETA have killed civilians in the past, many times have the Spanish people done demonstrations against ETA because civilians have been killed, they not always call in to say where they are going to attack, but they do call in from time to time. I also don't think that any form of terrorism is good, not at all.

About the Basque people, most of what you said is also true, althou not all Basque people are terrorists, it is just those that want to have a separate country appart from Spain. The Basque people have always lived in the northern regions of Spain, mainly in the Pirineos (Pyrenees) and their origins are still a mistery, althout some people say they are descendants of Celts since the origins of many people in the northern parts of Spain are Celtic, Galicia and Asturias among other places in spain still have Celtic cultures, althout very few people speak the old language. But the Basque people were in the Pyrenees before anyone else, even before the Celts arrived in Spain.

The problem is, that even though the above is true, there are many languages spoken in Spain and many different cultures, if they all wanted to separate there wouldn't be a Spain, but many smaller countries.

If the Basque people got what they wanted, then the people in Barcelona, among others would also want to separate, since their origins are Iberian, Phoenician, and Carthaginian. They also have another language, Catalan.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker
Gave in? They where fighting a war that had nothing to do with them? what do f&ck does iraq have to with fighting terrorism. ? The leader of spain at the time made the decission WITHOUT asking the people. He got what he deserved. Spain only joined because they wanted polictial gain by going on the side america.

I also blame spain, for importing muslims into their country. They brought it on themselves. Their fathers, cleansed spain from this muslim plague 500 years ago, they let them back in, they murderer they grandsons and grandaughters.

Iraq was a terrorist sponsor country, they had terrorist training camps, Saddam was paying the families of suicide bombers for killing Jewish people and Americans. Saddam was also known for making threats against the U.S.

And you ask what does Iraq have to do with terrorism?....

Anyways, this thread is about Spain, not Iraq....

[edit on 3-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well ETA, has been in Spain since the 60s as a group on its own, hardly Al-queda, they have a history in Spain also, they perhaps are now using Al-qaida tactic but that does not makes them Al-qaida affiliated.

Originally posted by sisonek
ETA in the past has always called in warnings well ahead of time to make sure that no people are injured when they blow something up...hence it's no surprise no one was injured in the explosions

I agree with you hardly Al-qaida tactics that is to do as much damage on civilians as they can.

Originally posted by Thinker

I also blame Spain, for importing Muslims into their country. They brought it on themselves. Their fathers, cleansed Spain from this Muslim plague 500 years ago, they let them back in, they murderer they grandsons and granddaughter.

Yeah, Spain does have a history of struggles to get the moors out of their lands, even when they left a lot of influence in Spain. My grandfather used to say that he was a pure Spaniard and not moor blood ran through his veins, as a child I didn�t understood what he mean now I do. Funny.

One thing that bothers me in the link is that they targeted Gas stations, Petro stations, I wonder if they have something against these particular gas stations or is just because it will cause more blast due to the gas.

I will have to research and see what I come out with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join