It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viral ‘Mary Poppins’ Minimum Wage Video Receives Epic Rebuttal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
She sings it like it is. FunnY!

If you take Kristen Bell and dress her up like Mary Poppins to sing about how much it sucks to make minimum wage, you’re going to end up with a video that’s begging for a rebuttal.

madworldnews.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954
"Just a 3 dollar increase can make a living wage..."

...until your employer, as well as all other employers, raise their prices to cover that "3 dollar increase" they've been forced to pay you. Then you're right back where you started.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ...

just as confusing as minimum wage is.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Is Disney going to raise their wages by $3.00? Even the mall workers in their stores?
That's a lot of princess dolls to be sold to break even.

edit on 27-7-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Or, if they're making big bucks, they could just take a little less and share more the employees or take a ticket and line up for hell, maybe they're hiring more bullies down there, but equality ROCKS in sane worlds.

And I would go further , I would equalize all people, working, non working, men, women, no one left out on planet earth, just eutopia. Everyone like one big family sharing the eco farm, and not hiring sharks for leaders, but running the whole system with councils of citizens that take turns.

edit on 27-7-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I worked in a place where we sold pins that cost my boss 9 cents each, but that he sold 12 dollars a piece. And they were, and still are, selling like hell.
Then the manufacturer told us he had to raise considerably the price of said pins, and so my boss had to pay an enormous 11 cents a pin.

Guess what? They began selling them between 18 and 24 dollars a piece to cover that raise in price...

So...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There was an excellent thread on ats about minimum wage before that rebutted many points including the ones here.

Can't be bothered looking for it though. /sloth.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

lol to the people who actually believe that 3 dollars will ruin a company like mc donalds! here is some education for you leaders of industry. Minimum wage in the 70's is actually equal to 23 dollars an hour now due to inflation! just think about that, really think about it. LOL people are fighting for not even half of that. Literally a bag boy in the 70's makes more then some people with master degrees

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

There's a lot more of us now.

Take a quick look at the statistics for population vs.....it can be an eye opener.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

well
its a lot less if your only accounting for inflation
but if you account for cost of living as well thats about right

.....theres really no arguing that in essence people in the recent past essentially made a whole lot more doing the exact same jobs
a lot of that is because of absolutely massive increases in the cost of necessities like food, housing, gas, etc. (the cost of higher education has become unreal)
those same people who worked those jobs before will argue that because you can afford a cheap phone or computer (that would have cost them thousands) you make enough (despite the fact minimum wage in some areas wont even cover rent)

dont be so stupid as to think that cant be you
ive been seeing people with over a decade of experience working outside their field for minimum wage lately and know damn well that could be me
as technology progresses and we become more productive and efficient less people are needed to do more work (and yet the population continues to grow)
and its not only unskilled jobs

and where is that going to leave all those sorry #SSes who have no particular skills or knowledge but have been riding the gravy train making more than a living wage for decades?
in my experience these are the same people that argue against an increase in minimum wage....if your job can be replaced by a machine....and most potentially can be(and probably will be) you shouldnt be talking so big

edit on 27-7-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
As I proved in the other thread, the States with high minimum wages are slow to recover economically, and have much higher unemployment.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

are they some of the most populated areas?
do they tend to have the some of the highest cost of living?
and do they also tend to have a severe lack of jobs outside of the service industry?

its probably not the minimum wage thats the issue but the lack of real and productive jobs along with the immense cost of living

remember correlation/=causation

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

An important factor about increasing the minimum wage is that it tends to reduce the welfare and foodstamp burden, as well as stimulating the economy. States with a higher minimum wage (mostly blue) tend to see a greater economic stimulus.

edit on 27-7-2014 by Diderot because: mistake? What mistake?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

An important factor about increasing the minimum wage is that it tends to reduce the welfare and foodstamp burden, as well as stimulating the economy. States with a higher minimum wage (mostly blue) tend to see a greater economic stimulus.

They also tend to have a higher cost of living. Which goes up each time the minimum wage increases. Which accounts for the lack of longevity of said stimulus, and the short term reduction in welfare and food stamps. Of course, long term statistics are hard to come by. Short term statistics paint a brighter picture. Just my thoughts on the matter.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

the higher cost of living usually is caused by the high population density rather than a higher minimum wage

which is why there is a disproportional difference in the cost of living related to the minimum wage (7.25 is the federal minimum but for example in new york minimum wage is 8.00...... less than a ten percent difference however the difference in cost of living compared to say nebraska is much larger than that)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: sirhumperdink

are they some of the most populated areas?
do they tend to have the some of the highest cost of living?
and do they also tend to have a severe lack of jobs outside of the service industry?

its probably not the minimum wage thats the issue but the lack of real and productive jobs along with the immense cost of living

remember correlation/=causation

My post is a rebuttal to the Democrats saying correlation is causation ... while twisting the numbers to make a correlation that doesn't really exist.

Population density are about the same (Texas vs. Washington).

Would cost of living not be impacted by minimum wage? Now you are getting to the root of the problem. If Min wage is 20% higher in state A, and cost of living is 30% higher, then state B has a higher minimum wage by the only metric that matters, buying power.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

texas also has a much much different economy than newyork does (with a good portion being reliant upon federal spending for defense)

or does that not factor in at all?

its laughable you think minimum wage is the root factor your comparing apples to oranges and saying the amount they were watered is the difference

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

texas also has a much much different economy than newyork does (with a good portion being reliant upon federal spending for defense)

or does that not factor in at all?

its laughable you think minimum wage is the root factor your comparing apples to oranges and saying the amount they were watered is the difference

Your reading comprehension is laughable. First I compared Texas with Washington, not NY.

Second the point I was making is Democrats are calling for minimum wage raises because over the past few months high minimum wage states had slightly above average job growth. The reason they had above average job growth is because their unemployment is still high, and they were slow to recover from the recession while most of the low min. wage states recovered faster.

Then my third point was the Democrats are looking at flat numbers without context. They are not factoring in cost of living versus minimum wage to determine how much buying power that wage gives.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

dude first of all im not a democrat
(second of all youre right i meant washington not newyork guess my entire post can just be thrown out)

of course its understood that cost of living is a factor which is why the argument is for a higher wage
if the cost of living is high the wage must be high as well

the argument becomes does minimum wage necessarily mean a proportional increase in cost of living or do other factors play a more important role?
you have failed to effectively argue the case that cost of living is largely dependent upon minimum wage

you are trying to make an immensely complex issue into a simple issue of one cause one effect
edit on 28-7-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

dude first of all im not a democrat
(second of all youre right i meant washington not newyork guess my entire post can just be thrown out)

of course its understood that cost of living is a factor which is why the argument is for a higher wage
if the cost of living is high the wage must be high as well

the argument becomes does minimum wage necessarily mean a proportional increase in cost of living or do other factors play a more important role?
you have failed to effectively argue the case that cost of living is largely dependent upon minimum wage

you are trying to make an immensely complex issue into a simple issue of one cause one effect

No. Democrats did that by claiming states that raised their minimum wage had higher than average job growth rates is proof a high minimum wage is good.

People living in NY with a 100% cost of living increase only have a 50% min. wage increase. If you want the REAL min. wage it should be with a metric like buying power. How far does that wage go where you live.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join