It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Masquerade Ball

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

you may also find that the masquerade is actually the punchline for the british joke "keep calm and carry on"
also only european people have need for the masquerade but because the whole world is more or less "western"?
people of coloured nationality are having trouble understanding the need for the masks and have difficulty fitting in to western culture... its got nothing to do with how we are raised its just who we are...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl
I have been, but that doesn't allevate the pressure that comes from the salesperson who is spurred into action by seeing my excitement. That gets irritating.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
I have been, but that doesn't allevate the pressure that comes from the salesperson who is spurred into action by seeing my excitement. That gets irritating.

I would say if some of your only complaints are that you have too much money and too much things bought for you and the pesky energy of a worker who is trying to help you, youve got it pretty ok.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

A good analogy is looking at a painting and thinking you ARE the painting. We are observers to existence, but our "existence" itself is not us. Every atom in your body is replaced every 7 years or so, if we were just physical matter, you would think we would just become vegetables after a few years. But because we are more, we prevail over matter. I personally think we are all ONE, all God trying on a bunch of human suits simultaneously.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

I would say if some of your only complaints are that you have too much money and too much things bought for you and the pesky energy of a worker who is trying to help you, youve got it pretty ok.

Goodness, it wasn't a complaint so much as a fascinating insight I had that day. Realizing ways that I have chosen certain circumstances I tended to see as out of my control, but that ultimately, I was creating myself, for specific reasons of my own.

We are all God, playing behind a bunch of masks.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The masks are for...us...
They keep us...calm
They keep us...sane & normal
They are the price of...civilization, society & the progress (continued evolution) of the human race...
When we don't wear them...we no longer 'fit in'...
We get "mental health officers" asking - "What's wrong with you?"
And...we realize - better put the mask back on...
When we choose to cast them down...the...Real...Scary...Us/Me...starts to...play...and...so, we put them back on, or continue to play...in padded cells and straight jackets...just looking forward to the next electro-shock or lobotomy...

But - masks are bad. Though I love a good masquerade ball.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

The problem with taking the masks off is that you are unrelatable to others that have no clue. I have been contemplating this concept for a while now because I wear many masks. I do not share my zardust persona with really anyone besides on this forum.

Why? Because they can't understand it, and to be honest most don't on here. I would have dismissed me before I first stepped "outside myself". I do not fit into a pre-defined mold. For instance I would be termed a christian by many as I do consider myself a follower of the way as pioneered by Jesus. But Just read a few of my posts and you will see they are nothing like the majority of what christians think.

Now if I shared these views with my family or friends who are not open, they would dismiss me outright and probably stop talking to me. When I tried to share universalism as taught in the bible to my baptist mother, lets just say it wasn't pretty and our relationship is still estranged. If I tried to explain that I and the FAther are one, even from a biblical perspective someone other than my mother might try to have me locked up.

I'd love to go around naked (literally and figuratively) but you don't want to scare the children. I love people too much to not try and relate to them. The masks are like translators. So that we can speak to the children in their language. The story of the transfiguration takes place on a secluded mountain with only 3 of the 100's or thousands of people that followed Jesus. Only 3 could take that revelation, which revelation means UNVEILING, the veil being the mask of the flesh. And even then poor ole Peter just didn't understand (he was the densest of them all it seems), when he asked if he should build tabernacles for the guests.

I try and speak within someones own familiar territory and plant seeds though. I long for the ability to be open and free with all. So I try and point and nudge people in the direction of removing their masks.

I'll admit that my explanation may be my mask wanting to be comfortable and just live a normal life, and so I rationalize my ability to wear my mask and just be a good citizen. There is a real struggle for me. I often want to say F it and take off the masks.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Yes the biggest fear is being cast as an outsider once you reveal your true self, that is one of the things, I think, that we have to step past. But the comfort zone is just so.. comfy!
And the sad part is I feel there are a lot of people who are sweating behind their masks, crumbling under their weight. And those who break, who can't take it anymore, go the drug route (prescribed or not) or simply fall apart and labeled as crazy.

Unfortunately, the need for spirituality is still too tied to having to choose a predetermined religion and dogma. And people still completely ignore the fact that people like Jesus were once the outsiders and were seen as heretic in their time.

Says a lot about Man when the densest of them all is the one who was left to start the biggest organized religion! lol

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I truly never wear a mask. You get what you see. As a result, I am no Hollywood star in the game of life. But at least I am true to myself.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

I suspect this is absolutely true for many people. I call them empties. Sometimes I ponder whether I am one of them.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

To somebody afraid of removing the masks I would say that people will never be entirely happy with you, you will never be quite what they wanted you to be and they probably don't care if you live or die?

Why make a failed attempt to please the unpleasable with masks?

These are the same unpleasable people that tell you to be yourself and then tell you you are getting too big for your boots when you take their advice. They are the people that say 'If I knew at your age...' and then accuse you of being too right-wing because you are acting mature by taking their advice. In the next breath they will accuse you of being too bohemian for acting free and being yourself, because you took their advice.

If you can't win, why play?

Oh, and you have to be you, everyone else is taken.

edit on 29-7-2014 by Fr33domPoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

A great point, and like the scene near the end of Dogma where "god" is asked about the meaning of life, and replies by flinking the questioners nose, one could argue that "enjoying the game" is part of the point anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Goodness, it wasn't a complaint so much as a fascinating insight I had that day. Realizing ways that I have chosen certain circumstances I tended to see as out of my control, but that ultimately, I was creating myself, for specific reasons of my own.

We are all God, playing behind a bunch of masks.

Oh I meant no disrespect in any way, I always respect and admire your posts when I come across them. I just sensed that you were saying, there was an activity that was at the very least in some way bothering or irking you, and that was your husband wanting to buy you lots of things etc. I suppose I shouldnt have said anything at all, but I hardly issued any control over myself and I said what seemed to be a possible thing to say. Apologies.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: ImaFungi

I suspect this is absolutely true for many people. I call them empties. Sometimes I ponder whether I am one of them.

No, I believe it may be true for everyone. The people who do not think its true, then, are the people that are the masks, but than make up another mask, they call the real them
and then pretend that mask is the true them on the inside. Or it may be that that is the ideal abstract, furthest from earthly matters, them, that they believe, or hope, or wish exists, or is real, and that is what they hope is just wearing a mask. But from our earthly vantage point, all signs point to the fact that all things are just pure masks, masks meaning aesthetic, physicality, materiality, it is what it is, it is being what it is being, it is made of what it is made of, it is the shape it is the shape of, it is changing how it is changing, and changing when it is changing, the masks are alive, we are the masks, we dont wear masks, we are that which exactly is, we have some power in making ourselves different ways.

If you believe otherwise, or if the OP was trying to subtly, or not so, make a case for the existence of a soul, or a 'wholesome, pure, absolute, primal, etheral, spirtual, youness, which is immaterial and wears the masks', then I would like to see some logical statements making that case.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Here's my problem. If I were to go to another country that didn't speak english, and I expect them to understand my message, no matter how important it is, they are not going to understand it if I don't speak their language.

Or trying to explain sex to a 4 year old in adult terms, and getting them to understand attraction, arousal, etc. It just won't work, they cannot really fathom it. In the same way, many can't handle it. So you have to explain it like when a little one asks you what sex is. "when a mommy and daddy love each other…"

This is the same as someone going around unmasked. For me, I see the ability to influence people with love and care that is not like most others would give, worth wearing a mask.

Being an outcast is not always so good, your level of influence can go down significantly. Take monks for example, their lives, possibly as free from the shackles of society as possible. But how much do their lives affect others if not integrated into society. If they don't speak to anyone and influence anyone else, then its possibly spiritual self-gratification.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I find that the "masks" go much further down than we tend to think. I mean, there are ways we are consciously not authentic, and then , as life goes in, I continually find ways in which I have not been true to my desires or feelings, but was not aware I was doing that.

Our cultural conditioning can go very deep.

The closest I have found to being truly authentic is the language of body. When around people who do not speak the same language, and do not have the same cultural background, the only way to communicate is through the body and the subtle expressions of movement, muscle tensions, facial expression, tonality of voice..... the combination rarely lies. It gives away everything, when people stop listening to spoken word. Our body is our universal language, that all understand, including animals.

But even there, I have found it often attempts to make communication through mimicry- adjusting to the person in front of you, even in terms of heartrate or tension- which could be seen as being "not you".... except that it becomes you- emotion is contagious, whether we recognize it or not.

At the end of the day, I can go through the layers of thoughts, values, intents, and peel them down like a onion until I get to the layers that really have no desire or goal except to experience existence- in whatever form or movement that may be. Even to desire comfort or pleasure is not a core intent- pain and discomfort will do just as well- that is just more experience.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

[

Oh I meant no disrespect in any way, I always respect and admire your posts when I come across them. I just sensed that you were saying, there was an activity that was at the very least in some way bothering or irking you, and that was your husband wanting to buy you lots of things etc. I suppose I shouldnt have said anything at all, but I hardly issued any control over myself and I said what seemed to be a possible thing to say. Apologies.

Oh there's no worry! If you had that thought, then there had to be others that did too (your post was starred more than once, you spoke for more than yourself!) I was just taken by surprise, because I hadn't thought of that reaction!
I can be a bit naive on that- I see myself as a rather poor person still, just discovering a world where things like financial security is actually a possible experience- so I exclaim openly about it, like a reporter describing the view from their spaceship.

I probably didn't express myself well enough the first time. I always post sporadically, and sometimes think it would be better if I work on them before hand. But then, that wouldn't feel as authentic!

I have a problem with being very spontaneous and not filtering, which often results in misunderstandings with people around me.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The masks we wear to appease the feelings and wants of those we either want to please or want to threaten are a justified subconsciously compelled protective mechanism.

They protect us from our greatest fear...the primal fear which is the cause of all human behavior.

Great thread and great posts.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

they are not going to understand it if I don't speak their language.

For me, I see the ability to influence people with love and care that is not like most others would give, worth wearing a mask.

I get what you mean, and I try to do the same sometimes. It's just that it's so hard to get a positive response and most people will just completely ignore the message or be too caught up in their anger and frustrations to notice, that I just give up.
I wish I had more patience and the ability to communicate my thoughts more clearly.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

clear communication is the major problem that humans face IMO, it is a catalyst for all kinds of hurts

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join