It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Update: 2 Americans Infected, 2nd Senior Doctor Dies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadAnonima
mind boggling thats it a federal offense to post used underwear (this cane into effect around the time of the anthrax mail scares) but a family that according to the report left Liberia just DAYS before the doctor diagnosed himself with an INCURABLE virus which can live outside the body 23 days are walking around ft worth???
Even if its not in their body what about their luggage? QUARANTINE THEIR PANTIES!!!

You work for the TSA don't cha?

12 Things You Must Know About Ebola
edit on 12/12/1977 by bornvillain because: Added Link

edit on 12/12/1977 by bornvillain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

...it's too close to home for my liking.

Hate to be the one to break it to ya, but we're all connected. Never mind global trade and travel, the winds blow microbes and particles around the world, and rain plays a role too - the grasshopper effect can make it happen in days. Who knows what other natural processes of "sharing" we have yet to discover? Our different climates used to protect us, but no longer. Fact is, we really are all one - right down to the nano-level. And we really need to recognize the fact and deal with it better.

2002. Dust in the wind: Fallout from Africa

…An ocean away from the Sahel (in Africa), coral reef ecosystems around the Caribbean are dying, and scientists are beginning to think that dust from Africa is playing a major role in their collapse.

Dust reaching the opposite shore of the Atlantic is nothing new. Haze from the Sahel occasionally reduces visibility and reddens sunsets from Miami to Caracas, and is the source of up to half the particulates in Miami's summertime air. Pre-Columbian pottery in the Bahamas is made of windborne deposits of African clay; orchids and other epiphytes growing in the ralnforest canopy of the Amazon depend on African dust for a large share of their nutrients.

….Satellite photos of the largest dust event ever recorded, in February 2000, show a continuous dust bridge connecting Africa and the Americas.

….Researchers have since found a variety of live bacteria and fungus in dust hitting the Caribbean, defying conventional wisdom among microbiologists that microbes could not survive a five-day trip three miles up in the atmosphere. "Swarms of live locusts made it all the way across alive in 1988 and landed in the Windward Islands," Shinn says. "If one-inch grasshoppers can make it, I imagine almost anything can make it."

….After the seasonal floods of the Niger River recede and its banks dry, mud--mixed with raw sewage, human and animal waste, and miscellaneous garbage left behind--turns to dust. "Microbes, synthetic organics, pharmaceuticals, antibiotics, you name it," Garrison explains. "Then the winds come, and it's a perfect avenue to take those substances aloft, often north toward Europe or west toward the United States."

….Africa is not the only source of dust that affects faraway places. Nutrients from the deserts of north-western China sustain Hawaiian rainforests growing on weathered soils. Chinese haze has long afflicted residents of Japan and Korea…. South Korean officials suspect that the dust may have been the source of a recent outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease among cattle along Korea's west coast. …

…."It's just another example of how small the Earth is, and how so many things are interconnected: global processes mixed up with how people live their lives," says Garrison. The mounting evidence of damaging fallout thousands of miles from sources of dust may help convince the rest of the world to pay more attention again to the forgotten, dusty corners of planet Earth. "Maybe we're not quite as isolated as we thought from areas with major health problems," says Garrison. "And maybe we should be more concerned about the welfare of people and the land in these far away places."

The Grasshopper Effect

Persistent and volatile pollutants – including certain pesticides, industrial chemicals and heavy metals – evaporate out of the soil in warmer countries where they are still used, and travel in the atmosphere toward cooler areas, condensing out again when the temperature drops. The process, repeated in "hops", can carry them thousands of kilometres in a matter of days.

edit on 30/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
UPDATE

Everyone knows quarantine doesn't work - and there is no way they'd be quarantining whole communities unless the reality is much, much worse than reports indicate. And that's just in Liberia. Nigeria is trying to find 30,000 people linked to Sawyer, who died in Lagos on Friday after flying in from Liberia with stops in Ghana and Togo.

Ebola epidemic 'out of control' says charity

Doctors Without Borders says outbreak can only worsen, as Nigeria tries to trace 30,000 people linked to first victim.

…."The level of contamination on the ground is extremely worrying and we need to scale up our action before many more lives are lost," said the EU's humanitarian aid commissioner, Kristalina Georgieva.

The bloc has deployed experts on the ground to help victims and try to limit contagion.

Communities quarantined

The warnings came as Liberia ordered the closure of all schools across the country and the quarantine of a number of communities in a bid to halt the outbreak.

Security forces have been ordered to enforce the new measures
, part of a new action plan that included placing all non-essential government workers on 30-day compulsory leave.

In Nigeria, health authorities announced they were trying to trace more than 30,000 people who could be at risk of contracting Ebola after Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian, died from the disease in Lagos on Friday.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

WOW! This is not getting the attention it needs. This is very serious. Us, sitting in other supposedly unaffected Countries, can't just keep sitting on our butts, acting like we are watching some horror movie on TV.

With air travel and borders not being guarded...this is getting all too real.

Des

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

No, this is not getting the attention it needs. But forget trade, travel and border protection - we are all connected in myriad, uncontrollable ways.

Time for a rethink.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I keep thinking about the bonus scene during the credits of 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes" when reading this thread.

I certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Finally, the West Africa Ebola epidemic is getting the attention it deserves. Now, hopefully, it will get the resources needed.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The Peace Corps is now flying all of their over 300 people back to the States from the infected areas. This is breaking news.

Peace Corp removes volunteers from area of Ebola outbreak

(CNN) — The Peace Corps is temporarily removing its 340 volunteers from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea due to the Ebola outbreak in those West African nations, the group announced Wednesday.

Read more: fox5sandiego.com...

Des

edit on 30-7-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Honestly. I'm glad...but I damn sure hope they quarantine them all for a period of time. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Megan Kelly is giving a report right now, 2 Ebola infected patients, both missionaries, may be flown to the States. They are waiting for approval for the flight. I'll post the link to the story when it comes up. I hope and pray they are met by a full hazmat team from the CDC if they do make the flight. They would get better treatment here. But I sure hope they know what they are doing.

Des

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Update:

Airports on high alert for fliers with Ebola symptoms

“Quarantine officers” at JFK and 19 other US airports are on alert, and airline personnel are trained to spot the symptoms, which include fever, red eyes, severe vomiting, diarrhea and internal bleeding, said a spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control.

“If you’re a passenger on a plane and you say you’re sick, you will be met when you land by the CDC,” spokesman David Daigle told The Post.

He added that if Ebola is suspected, the patient will be quarantined and rushed to a hospital.

The city Health Department, meanwhile, urged doctors and other health care providers to be on the lookout for signs of the disease.

Source

To read or listen to the full press briefing by the CDC this week...

Press Briefing TranscriptCDC Telebriefing on Ebola outbreak in West Africa

Monday, July 28, 2014

Transcript link

What isn't discussed is a bit concerning like how Ebola can live outside the body of a host for a period of time, can it be tested for before someone has symptoms, etc., but what was said gave media the copy they needed to get the story out worldwide. I am thankful they are being aggressive in getting the word out.

Here are the 35 countries one flight away from Ebola-affected countries.

Flights out of major airports in the affected countries arrive in 39 airports in 35 other countries. There are seven in Europe, in the UK, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain and the Netherlands; four in the Middle East; and three in the US (Houston, Atlanta and New York).

Source

Thanks again for the thread updates by all.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

i wonder how long till they close africa off, sooner then later i hope.

all the africans coming to d.c should just stay home.

i bet military action will be taken if it gets out of control(more so that is), i mean whats africom for anyway.

i was watching one of the major news programs and they were saying the rumors that were going around was that dr's were stealing limbs and killing people.....

on a personal note i think they need to stop ALL traffic out and if any one tries to leave shoot to kill.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Wonder what Pharma Medical Military Lab made this nasty little weapon?

We need to find you something to do other than making money and controlling billions of people I think. Absolute power is fukin up the innocent folks buzz.
We have our eyes set on 3 asteroids that might just do the trick.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

For our tin foil hat wearers ( this is ATS after all.)

Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Link Between the Ebola Outbreak and a US Bioweapons Lab?

What's behind the ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone? Could it possibly be a US bioweapons project gone amuck? Why are US military agencies taking the lead in responding to the breakout? These are questions that need to be asked.

"There are many villages in the eastern part of Sierra Leone that are basically devastated," virologist Robert Garry of Tulane University toldNational Pubic Radio. "We walked into one village ... and we found 25 corpses. One house with seven people, all in one family, were dead.

"It's a very serious situation there," adds Garry, who just returned to the U.S. from West Africa. "This is about as bad as it [an Ebola outbreak] gets."

The epicentre of the current Ebola epidemic is the Kenema Government Hospital in Sierra Leone. BeforeItIsNews claims the hospital houses a US a biosecurity level 2 bioweapons research lab. That claim is unconfirmed, however, this we do know.

Analysis of clinical samples from suspected Lassa fever cases in Sierra Leone showed that about two-thirds of the patients had been exposed to other emerging diseases, and nearly nine percent tested positive for Ebola virus. The findings, published in this month’s edition ofEmerging Infectious Diseases, demonstrates that Ebola virus has been circulating in the region since at least 2006—well before the current outbreak, reports Global BioDefense.

According to GBD, the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases has been operating in the area since 2006, supposedly working on "diagnostic tests."

Source

Helmut up before going in...
edit on 30-7-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: typo of course

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This is frightening me, like most people in the UK know, our goverment is a joke and cannot be trusted to look after us. Our NHS will not cope one bit if it reaches us, Cameron will just run for cover like the coward he is and let the rest of us die.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

"Quarantining Africa" is an old idea - even though quarantine is proven ineffective. It's useful to victimize and depopulate - and for economic takeovers - but that's about it. West Africa does have some very tempting deposits of iron ore, bauxite, diamonds, gold etc - but I don't think that justifies genocide.

Quarantine doesn't work. Isolation is different.

Check out these old threads:

2005: Quarantine: A Standard Depopulation Strategy

2007: Quarantine Until Death: The Pandemic Policy Now on Trial in the Court of Public Opinion

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

What's the motive? ....Big Pharma wants nothing to do with vaccines - development is too costly and the liabilities are a biotch. ....No government wants more crowd control headaches. ....On the other hand, bioterrorism is practically routine throughout history for corporations expanding territory for landgrabs and resource theft - and genocide is virtually standard.

As it happens, West Africa does have some very tempting deposits of iron ore, bauxite, diamonds, gold etc. And Guinea just cancelled some extremely lucrative (and greatly underpriced) mining permits with a major global partnership on the grounds that the signatory (previous) administration was super-corrupt. The Big Boyz are not happy. Worse, Guinea then signed a deal with a Brazil-China partnership for 1/4 the field and $20 Billion - waayyy over the reported $5 Million paid to the corrupt guys for the whole field. Not the usual fire-sale prices our global corporate leaders are accustomed to negotiate in Africa.

It's a money thing. Follow the money.

edit on 31/7/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I just read that one of the infected American aid workers will be treated at Emory in Atlanta.

www.wsbtv.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ad1220
I just read that one of the infected American aid workers will be treated at Emory in Atlanta.

www.wsbtv.com...

I live a 2 hrs drive from Emory...on our local news they are saying the patient is already in house. I'm confused from what little news I can find online.

Home
> News
> Local

Updated: 5:34 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014 | Posted: 2:12 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014
Ebola patient to be treated at Emory University Hospital

4 327 40 460

ATLANTA —

Emory University Hospital officials said they have been informed that there are plans to transfer a patient with the Ebola virus infection to a special containment unit at their facility.

The Hospital has a special isolation unit set up in collaboration with the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to treat patients with serious infectious diseases.

A spokeswoman told Channel 2 Action News she did not know when the patient would arrive, but confirmed the patient is from west Africa. The Associated Press reported the patient is an American aid worker.

"It is physically separate from other patient areas and has unique equipment and infrastructure that provide an extraordinarily high level of clinical isolation," a spokesman said in a release.

The hospital said doctors, nurses and staff are trained in procedures to handle this type of patient.

The hospital is only one of four such facilities in the country. www.wsbtv.com...

I'll keep looking for any updates. They may be wrong...on local TV in reporting ebola patient is inhouse. Atlanta is also one of the 3 cities that has direct flights from Africa to the United States. I wonder if they brought the patient in through Atlanta airport?

Des

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I hope to God they didn't come through the Atlanta airport. Someone commented on the AJC article that the CDC chartered plane to fly the person here. They also said that Emory has one of four isolation areas in the country. I live about 45 minutes north of ATL, sure hope they don't start bringing more patients here. Seems extremely irresponsible to even bring one. and a reply to: Destinyone

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join