It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rent-a-chicken business hatches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
What a unique business idea. This has become so popular they have a waiting list.

Rent a Chicken comes with 2 chickens, a coop, and all necessary supplies. They deliver and set it up for the customer.

For $67 a month, Jann's Henny Penny Farm outside Brighton hand-delivers two hens in a portable coop, along with food and bedding.

"It gives people the chance to be the fair-weather urban farmer," Symons said. "This could really give people an opportunity to experiment with it without have to lay out the investment of building a chicken coop only to discover it's not for them."

She says chickens are easy pets that come with the added benefit: Chicken renters can expect about a dozen fresh eggs each week.

"We have an incredible waiting list. People still interested in this year," she said. "Also, we have already taken reservations and deposits for next year."

Channel 7 Denver

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

$67

$67 for maybe 4 dozen eggs a month?

Can all the states have legal MJ so that their economies improve enough so that there is a waiting list to pay $67 a month for 40 or so eggs?

edit on 27-7-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

As Kevin O'learly likes to say "Wheeeeres the moneeeey?"

A dozen eggs a week retail is about 16 bucks a month. Then there's the cost of maintenance, feed, permits?
How many sales does said chicken company make?
What's the overhead and costs involved?
What's the ROI?
How much FDA red tape?
Where's the profit margin ???

Sorry, I but I think it's a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

$67

$67 for maybe 4 dozen eggs a month?

Can all the states have legal MJ so that their economies improve enough so that there is a waiting list to pay $67 a month for 40 or so eggs?

edit on 27-7-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

It states a dozen eggs a week, but ya those are some expensive eggs!

The idea is to give people the experience before they put a bunch of money into a chicken coop and feed to see if they actually want chickens.

edit on 27-7-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

As Kevin O'learly likes to say "Wheeeeres the moneeeey?"

A dozen eggs a week retail is about 16 bucks a month. Then there's the cost of maintenance, feed, permits?
How many sales does said chicken company make?
What's the overhead and costs involved?
What's the ROI?
How much FDA red tape?
Where's the profit margin ???

Sorry, I but I think it's a bad idea.

If you look at it like this: 10 coops @ $67 per month + $670 per month x (times) 6 months contracted rent per coop
is $4020.

It doesn't state how many they have, but they are expanding the business, so they must be making money.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

It doesn't state how many they have, but they are expanding the business, so they must be making money.

No, it means they need to mass produce to make any money. $4000.00 / 6 months - operating costs don't forget. Oh, the inventory nightmare! What happens after a six month contract ends? Get the chickens back. Now you're going to need a place to put them, so lets add storage to your overhead. Then heaven forbid any if disease gets in the flock. Man...the more & more I look at it..smh. Eventually, you're just a chicken farmer business. It solves a need where there isn't a problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
But chickens are cheap at tractor supply and a small coup and the setup there on sale only runs about a couple hundred bucks. You can have six chickens in that coup. A coup could be made out of scrap lumber from the dumpster at a lumber yard for very cheap. Get to know a builder, they always have scraps. Three bucks for a chick is cheap.

Now, at sixty seven bucks a month, you could buy five dozen free range organic eggs, and two free range organic chickens all processed each month without cleaning any mess or buying any food. Seems a little messed up unless you want to get back at your neighbor. Then you make sure they are both roosters with loud voices.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

LOL.

Exactly. If you want a chicken why not buy a chicken?

There are things that make sense to rent.....a truck, a house, a wife. Not a chicken.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It sounds like a great idea for people who are hesitant about the responsibilities of pet ownership. If things do not work out then the birds are quickly taken away, no fuss. If it works out then get a suppler deal on the feed, options for bigger cages and more chickens. As for how busy and what kind of demand exists not sure, but if you already have a chicken farm it could help make a nice little bonus with some part time after hours running around.

The biggest problem I see is the relationship that exists between two chickens. Chickens are very social animals, been raised in tight and crowed locations for a long time. I have noticed from experience that due to the pecking order, one chicken becomes extremely dominant and the other extremely submissive if there are just two. There may be some variations between breads and individual chickens, but having 3 chickens is much better for the social cohesion of the flock. Preferably I would want a minimum of 5 or 6 just to help the chickens keep each other in check and stop any one from become excessively aggressive.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Most people don't want to build a coop and winter them over.

top topics

join