It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Judge People Based On Their Hair

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Generally? I do not. Looking after ones own grooming, is for me, a matter of personal dignity, and something I rather prefer to take care of myself. I have long hair, and I use nothing on it save for shampoo and a brush. I will never dye it, and never have it dreadlocked, simply because both cost money, and both over complicate the issue of looking after ones hair. I am perfectly happy with having long hair, and letting it go grey over time. I keep it relatively neat by applying a brush to it every now and again, and trimming off errant tufts from around the temples, which poke out when it is in a pony tail. It costs me very little in terms of time, and money to maintain, and I can look as smart, or mega casual as the situation requires.

I have been judged on my hair, by most of the people I know, both in my profession by customers, and indeed suppliers and industry professionals. However, by the time I have opened my mouth a few times, and started to work, customers and suppliers to the business of which I am a part, tend to come to some understanding about me which is closer to the truth than their first impressions of me.

In terms of how one judges other people with regard to their hair, I never do, not on hair alone. I try to avoid making judgements about people, since I am flawed, imperfect, and therefore not in a position to wield a metaphorical gavel in the direction of the souls and hearts of my fellow human beings, but of course, human interaction requires a certain amount of judgement of one sort or another, so in the limited way that one can apply ones judgement I try to factor in the important stuff. Actions. These are the things upon which to base any judgement necessary in this life.

I have met some very straight laced looking chaps, who have been total cads, innocent looking lasses, who have turned out to be testicle crushing she bastards, and their hair styles have had little or nothing to do with, or say about how those people actually acted, or who they really were inside.

edit on 27-7-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error correction.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I keep my hair short and shaved always.
Anyone who judges you based on hair style, color, clothes, race, size or whatever is not worth worrying about.
I know you're asking why they judge and not looking for acceptance or whatever but seriously - anyone shallow enough to judge you for your hairstyle is not someone worth concerning yourself with.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I have not had a haircut in around 10 years. Much of it has formed into dreadlocks. I hang out at the beach and in nature often. A windy environment encourages the formation of dreads. They are warm in the winter. I just see it as the natural way my hair is. I live in the deep south. I am often judged to be a dope head because my hair is long. Usually by right wing Christian types.
The last time I cut my hair, I shaved my head slick.
I got accused of being a skinhead.
Either style seems to attract negative attention from law enforcement and religious types.
Don't they worship a guy with long hair and a beard?
I'm interested in hearing from both sides.
What is wrong, in your opinion, with letting a persons hair exist in its natural form, or shaving it all off?
I refuse to get a "square do." It is all or none in my view. No half measures.

When your hair looks like a style typically used by a certain group it's normal to be judged by it. The problem is when people don't give you the chance to show the person you truly are. People who may not think like you at all, but look like you, will judge you positively. It's the same coin, just two sides, neither side is inherently wrong.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

There's a saying... "The only people who care about tattooed people are people without tattoos". I suppose the same goes for hair. Some of the most gentle, giving, warm, honest, people I have met do not meet up with what society deems as normal appearance wise.

Think about how many people miss out on meeting/knowing some really great genuine people by using out of date, false stereotypes. They severely shortchange themselves by doing so and it's sad that they don't even realize it.

I have to admit, I am one of those people, but my daughter is teaching me a real life lesson. Even though my politics may be liberal, my appearance is very conservative - always has been. My daughter (almost 13 yrs old) is very much a non-conformist, appearance-wise. She wants purple hair and heavy eyeliner. Being way too young for tattoos, she draws on her self with markers instead. This freaks me out a bit, but I know her to be a sweet, loving, smart and very creative kid (she drew my eye avatar when she was about 10). I think her non-conformist attitude about her appearance is just her creative way of expressing herself. Slowly but surely, I am starting to learn that you don't judge a book by its cover.
edit on 27-7-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

No, I don't have a horse drawn caravan, I have YouTube videos of horse drawn travellers who pass through this area. My preferred dwelling is the traditional bender tent. Due to family preferences I live in a house though my own health and happiness is far better under canvas.

I've uploaded this video for this thread. Long hair is very useful for flicking away biting insects.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i'm a pretty normal looking guy, high and tight since age 2. but i like seeing the incredible range of self-expression people are capable of, and i enjoy seeing people just being themselves. i do think you can tell a few things about a person by how they do their hair or what they wear or w/e, but that's not the same as making a value judgement. nobody should be treated poorly based on how they look.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
....errant tufts from around the temples, which poke out when it is in a pony tail.

I could probably be judged by my temple tufts. Just went to check them and they're looking very uneven. Sign of an unbalanced personality perhaps. And ear hair? You could make a Mohican for Winston Churchill's statue out of my ear hair.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

originally posted by: TrueBrit
....errant tufts from around the temples, which poke out when it is in a pony tail.

I could probably be judged by my temple tufts. Just went to check them and they're looking very uneven. Sign of an unbalanced personality perhaps. And ear hair? You could make a Mohican for Winston Churchill's statue out of my ear hair.

holy crap man, as a fellow hairy guy i can testify. i spend almost as much time as my wife in the bathroom getting all the nose/eyebrow/ear/other(*cough*) hair under control. i gots sasquatch dna i think.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Aha! My mistake sorry....but I was close!

Talking of all you ponytailed guys. When I lived in Devon, a male friend came for a visit. We went to Totnes for the day. Absolutely loved it....except for one thing my friend noticed..."I feel a bit out of place here".."Why?" says I...."Because all the blokes have ponytails or long hair!" says he.......I hadn't even noticed!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO

My ear hair once stopped a healthcare professional dead in her tracks. She had to compose herself and make a tactful comment before carrying on. I'm going to sign out now before I embarrass myself any more.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am a man in my mid 50's, with long, natural blonde hair. I don't drink, and I don't use illegal substances. I am self-employed as a technician and consultant, and get some interesting reactions from first-time customers occasionally. But they always call me back when they see the quality of my work.

In judging someone by their appearance, you will at best, make a fool of yourself. And at worst. You could end up in a hospital bed.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
How would you judge her?

I'd probably say something along the lines of "Hey, nice cobra."

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The problem is that I am interested in what the marking is supposed to represent and where the marking are put.

Does it mean that she has supernatural sensors where she has painted yellow. I do not get the placement of the markings and what it is supposed to represent.

Remove the nose ring from my point of view and you have a very beautiful woman that I would spend lots of time with if our souls where compatible. But then I do like the exotic looks but the nose ring is not a preference for me but their are probably many who are attracted to it and like that look.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Having very visible tattoos myself, I generally try to avoid judging by looks. I always get a good laugh when the security guards at Walmart follow me. I wonder how much stuff is actually getting stolen on other aisles while they waste their time on me.

I know first hand that looks can be very deceiving, so I would not think anything of your hair or anyone else's.

I have a dear friend in Austin that is completely inked. Head to toe. She is one of the kindest and most beautiful people I have ever known.

The physical do not really represent the soul/spirit behind. In some way tattoo and jewelry can be a way to personalize your body to make it your own. But we are entitled to having a preference of what we find most appealing.

If we take Christina Perri as an example in this video.
1 Without tattoos that natural looking body body is very good looking for me.
2 In it second version it shows for me a soul under a lot of stress trying to handle a situation that is hard for her and the tattoos can in a way represent her fragility and her way of personalizing her body. Making it your own.

Both things are beautiful in their own way.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Long gray hair, beard and balding; mostly type cast as a homeless, alky, etc. but it helps get the gigs.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 27-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I hope there's a follow up thread entitled, "How to not give a damn if someone judges you for your hair."

Hair says pothead to some people. Lack of hair says skinhead to some people. Says a lot more about some people than hair, really.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I had a friend that had to have her beautiful head of red curly locks shaved for a surgery. She was still beautiful to me with a shaved head. I took some offense at looks she got from some people.
I had another girlfriend that shaved her head, actually I shaved it for her, just because she felt like shaving her head.
The hair in both cases was donated to locks of love.
I like the way a shaved head on a woman feels. It is a novel tactile experience.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mon1k3r
I hope there's a follow up thread entitled, "How to not give a damn if someone judges you for your hair."

Hair says pothead to some people. Lack of hair says skinhead to some people. Says a lot more about some people than hair, really.

The lack of hair can also mean Buddhist monk. Long hair can be a spiritual Sikh.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The hair, the hair. Is yours as over-the-top as hers?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Of course, then there was the knee-jerk "usually Christian" as the people who judge. Here's at least one Christian who says, "So what?" If you keep your hair clean and neat along with the rest of your appearance, then I'll more or less be fine with it. Both long hair and dreads can be kept clean and neat. And tattoos are a means of differentiating one's self in a society that increasing does not value individualism of thought, but only individualism of appearance.

Now, I do take issue with those who take the tats and piercings and body art to the level of self-mutilation to the point where it seems they are actively trying to obliterate who they are entirely, but most people don't do that, not even the ones with extensive ink.

But then again, you are talking to a Christian who has no problems running with an alternative crowd. I was and am a gamer and rub shoulders with all the people that hobby attracts. IME, they've had far more problems reconciling that reality about me once it was discovered than I have with reconciling anything I've learned about them whether it be alternative appearance, lifestyle, or religious/spiritual practices.
edit on 27-7-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join