It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Judge People Based On Their Hair

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I have not had a haircut in around 10 years. Much of it has formed into dreadlocks. I hang out at the beach and in nature often. A windy environment encourages the formation of dreads. They are warm in the winter. I just see it as the natural way my hair is. I live in the deep south. I am often judged to be a dope head because my hair is long. Usually by right wing Christian types.
The last time I cut my hair, I shaved my head slick.
I got accused of being a skinhead.
Either style seems to attract negative attention from law enforcement and religious types.
Don't they worship a guy with long hair and a beard?
I'm interested in hearing from both sides.
What is wrong, in your opinion, with letting a persons hair exist in its natural form, or shaving it all off?
I refuse to get a "square do." It is all or none in my view. No half measures.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Since most of my hair has gone the way of the Dodo, I don't judge people by their hair length.

Except maybe with a bit of envy now and then!

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
im curious can you post up a pic ,how does it turn into dreads do you wash it often?

edit on 27-7-2014 by IAMAMOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

Since most of my hair has gone the way of the Dodo, I don't judge people by their hair length.

Except maybe with a bit of envy now and then!

My great grandfather, who lived to 89, was proud of his full head of hair. If Jesus got pulled over in a car in Texas today they would want to search his car.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Only Barbers hair...or lack of it.
Never trust a bald barber.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The worst thing with long hair is it's more visible when it end up in your food...

When hairy met sallad

I had long hair and ponytail in my teens and was more than once mistaken as a girl, today it's a half moon...

edit on 27-7-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
My hair is pretty long as I am growing it to donate to locks of love, and have had long hair in the past. When my hair is long I am looked at like I'm some kind of criminal or drug user which I am neither. So I don't look at people's hair and judge them either way. It's not the hair that makes the person. Look at Einstein, his hair was pretty crazy.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Your hair sounds nice to me. I love long hair on guys.

Unfortunately, this hairstyle does attract negative perceptions.
People judge a book by it's cover when they shouldn't.
The only way around it is to prove you don't fit the stereotype associated with this hairdo.

There's quite a few other hairstyles that send the wrong signals as well.
My own hairstyle doesn't seem to represent who I really am either. I don't really care. I will change it when I feel like it.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMAMOG
im curious can you post up a pic ,how does it turn into dreads do you wash it often?

I keep it clean and separated. It really doesn't shed anymore. The shed hair just adds bulk to the locks.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I still have long hair in a ponytail. Just last night I was asked at a party if I wanted to share a joint but I don't do that stuff. It just goes to show that even the dope heads judge you because of your hair!
Years ago when I was a young kid at school I got a short haircut and got called a skinhead by a bunch of older kids. I didn't even know what that was but I didn't like it. So I got into a massive fight with one of them and he went down and they really did think I was a skinhead! I grew my hair long after that.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Having very visible tattoos myself, I generally try to avoid judging by looks. I always get a good laugh when the security guards at Walmart follow me. I wonder how much stuff is actually getting stolen on other aisles while they waste their time on me.

I know first hand that looks can be very deceiving, so I would not think anything of your hair or anyone else's.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

People used to ask me why I grew my hair long. I don't grow it, it grows itself. The real questions is why cut it? I cut it short when my children were small. There just wasn't any time to brush it and I don't want dreads. Wearing it very short had an intimidating effect on some people. Now I'm old it's longer than ever before and I love it.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area with an openly gay female Chief Constable. Gloucestershire, UK, is policed with love and compassion. Her words. Our constables wouldn't dare judge anyone on hairstyle. One of our local characters has a single dread that he has to clip up to stop it dragging along the ground.

Machinery and long hair is a dangerous combination. My brother in law was once found unconscious after one of his extremely long dreads caught in a small generator which wound up the dread and bashed his head. Years ago he was verbally attacked by black Rastafarians who accused him of appropriating their culture. He told them there is evidence our people wore dreads thousands of years ago. The Rastafarians thanked him for explaining a bit of history they'd never heard before and they parted on good terms.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Nope .. to each their own .. though do think bad wigs should be made illegal ..

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I always get a good laugh when the security guards at Walmart follow me. I wonder how much stuff is actually getting stolen on other aisles while they waste their time on me.

The day I cut my hair security guards stopped following me. My first thought was, if I want to be a criminal all I need is a suit and a 'nice' haircut.
edit on 27 7 2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I have a skinhead, but im not a skinhead. I shave my head myself once a week.
Ive had it this way since i was 15, i couldnt have it any other way.
When im out i get attention from both gay men and women. If i was bisexual i'd be the cat that got the cream but im hetro and with my girlfriend 11 years now.
I dont get attitude from anyone really, maybe the odd elderly person looking down their nose at me which is fine.
People should never judge a book by its cover...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How would you judge her?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

I always get a good laugh when the security guards at Walmart follow me. I wonder how much stuff is actually getting stolen on other aisles while they waste their time on me.

The day I cut my hair security guards stopped following me. My first thought was, if I want to be a criminal all I need is a suit and a 'nice' haircut.

It's funny how that works isn't it?? Serial killers could walk around all day dressed like Donald Trump and nobody would ever stop and think that there may be something sinister underneath those nice clothes and perfect grooming.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Having very visible tattoos myself, I generally try to avoid judging by looks. I always get a good laugh when the security guards at Walmart follow me. I wonder how much stuff is actually getting stolen on other aisles while they waste their time on me.

I know first hand that looks can be very deceiving, so I would not think anything of your hair or anyone else's.

I have a dear friend in Austin that is completely inked. Head to toe. She is one of the kindest and most beautiful people I have ever known.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I'm moving to Cheltenham in 3 weeks.....why? Because of the laid back laissez faire attitude amongst the population which I have only ever encountered whilst living in Devon many moons ago.
Kester...am I right in saying you have a wonderful horse drawn gypsy caravan?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

There's a saying... "The only people who care about tattooed people are people without tattoos". I suppose the same goes for hair. Some of the most gentle, giving, warm, honest, people I have met do not meet up with what society deems as normal appearance wise.

Think about how many people miss out on meeting/knowing some really great genuine people by using out of date, false stereotypes. They severely shortchange themselves by doing so and it's sad that they don't even realize it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join