It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Lawmaker Wants To Pass Law To Force Children To Watch Propaganda Movie

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

That's science, not political propaganda.

tell that to AL Gore and his buddies and the woman that started all the global warming in the first place. Marget Thacher.
well i forgot you can't tell her but she is the very first politician to mention global warming and she did it to win the election.

edit on 26-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Maybe instead of taking jabs back and forth over who's propaganda flicks are worse than the other, you should be having a lightbulb going off over the fact that it's propaganda in schools in the first place. It doesn't belong there no matter who's it is. Once upon a time, schools in the US taught the basics for students to master & expand on. Now, they're a cesspit of political BS being shoveled, and people whining over which party's trash is worse to view in school are entirely missing that point.

Political ideology doesn't belong in K-12, period.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

If you're upset over isolated incidents of teachers showing those films (7-10 years ago), why aren't you against the idea of a politician proposing to make this one mandatory viewing for all students?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I don't want any films that are politically motivated and/or have any political undertones or meanings shown to my children in school. Public education should not espouse anything to specifically benefit either party. School should remain as unbiased as possible and teach facts....and only facts. Children should be free to make up their own minds based upon the information presented.

With that said, our Governor, Mr. Rick Scott would gladly put this film in schools as quickly as humanly possible. Not only is he a terrible governor but also seems to be a terrible person. There's a reason most of us refer to him as Lord Voldemort or Skeletor beyond the painfully obvious resemblance....

Rick Scott/Voldemort

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There's a distinction being missed here by some people. Teachers making their students watch one film is not the same as a law forcing all students to watch one film.

At least make it a factually accurate film. Not a 'docudrama.'

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I agree with you on this point.!!

Politically motivated films should NOT be shown mandatory in a public school. Don't care how right or wrong they are or 'left/ right ideology!!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

If you're upset over isolated incidents of teachers showing those films (7-10 years ago), why aren't you against the idea of a politician proposing to make this one mandatory viewing for all students?

I didn't know I was upset, But if you say so, I won't want to argue with an expert on my feeling over the internet. How do you know if I like the idea of other political films being allowed in schools, You think you know me?

What I will tell you is this, I was raised in school that did nothing but teach Propaganda and show films, About the Evils of America and Russia in the 50's and 60's.
What Propaganda can do to the mind of our young is Not a Good Thing, Much like the other posters here, Political B S should not be allowed in our schools.

edit on 26-7-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
That Desouza film is complete propaganda and has no place in the public schools....along with any other film that perpetuates any political agenda.

In fact, why are they showing films in school when our kids have a hard time reading, writing and doing simple math?

Both the libs and the neocons need to keep their political BS out of education!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: guohua

originally posted by: CB328

what about all the global warming propaganda being forced down students throats?

That's science, not political propaganda.

Not to change the Topic, But Really Bad Science! Al Gore and Company, For Profit,,,,

Not to change the topic? Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

I don't support making either of those films required viewing either. So why won't you just say you don't support Alan Hays' proposal? Or do you support it?

Personally, I could do without Al Gore, he serves mostly as a red herring for the right and An Inconvenient Truth is a bit dated and focuses too narrowly on the political solutions Al Gore supports. There are much better ways of teaching about global warming.

That said, the fact is MOST climatologists agree, it doesn't really matter if it's 97% or 87% — it's WAAAAY more than 50%. So what's your definition of bad science for profit? Anything that doesn't agree with the opinions of conservative politicians and a tiny minority of scientists (many funded by private conservative 'Think Tanks')?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

What Propaganda can do to the mind of our young is Not a Good Thing, Much like the other posters here, Political B S should not be allowed in our schools.

Does this mean that you would agree with me that this proposal by Alan Hays is disgusting and reprehensible?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My statement stands:

Political B S should not be allowed in our schools.

Don't believe in it and don't agree with it.
As far as Climate Change / Global Warming, Again, I will not derail the thread, I made that statement also.
So, for you to understand where I stand, here and That'll Be That!!!

Sorry OP and MODS, did not intend to derail thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Okay then. I'll take that to mean we agree that Alan Hays is in the wrong, regardless of his party.

As for that cartoon: You do realize that the shift in terminology originated with the right?

Remember the Frank Luntz memo?

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science," Mr Luntz writes in the memo, obtained by the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based campaigning organisation.

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly.

"Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate."

The phrase "global warming" should be abandoned in favour of "climate change", Mr Luntz says, and the party should describe its policies as "conservationist" instead of "environmentalist", because "most people" think environmentalists are "extremists" who indulge in "some pretty bizarre behaviour... that turns off many voters".

edit on 2014-7-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Does this mean that you would agree with me that this proposal by Alan Hays is disgusting and reprehensible?

I just watched the trailer, so from what I've seen, this doesn't appear to be a Right VS Left Hit Piece.
Have you seen the whole docudrama in it's entirety? Can you comment on it or are you just against this because a Politician with an R after their name is putting a bill forth.

Hmmmm, Like the other films, I would have to see it first to make a judgement call if it's purely a Political Hit Piece or actually education.
To early to tell, It would appear you've mad up your mind. I guess because of the Republican thingy,,,,
That's Sad!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

We'll also meet their present-day critics, hear their stories, and then let you decide which America you believe in. From the team that created 2016: Obama's America comes the story not of a man but a nation, at the crossroads of hope or disaster, whose destination will soon be decided.

That's the last paragraph of the synopsis from the movie's official website.

and here's the blog. Give that a quick read.

oh and the following is the IMDB synopsis:

A story that questions the shaming of the US through revisionist history, lies and omissions by educational institutions, political organizations, Alinsky, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and other progressives to destroy America.

From the movie's official Facebook page:

Now that you've stated that political propaganda in schools is bad, you're casting doubt on the right-wing nature of the film? Wow.

edit on 2014-7-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i wonder if people would think these are propaganda, i had to watch both of them when i was in school. the first one i had to watch at least three times from elementary school to high school. the second i had to watch twice once in middle school and once in high school. and as you know i live in Florida.

i liked both of them and they are very different films, the first one is kinda of cheesy for today's standards but in the 60's and 70's it wasn't that bad.

the second i definitely recommend people watch it at least once.

Clip from the movie, Johnny Tremain.

the full movie, Johnny Got His Gun.

i had to post one of my all time favorite tunes from Metallica.

edit on 26-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Those movies aren't required in school

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReluctantBlossom
a reply to: neo96

Those movies aren't required in school

And neither is that film in the op.

As no such laws exists.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
From the website you provided me.

SYNOPSIS
Someone once observed: "America is great because she is good; if she ever ceases to be good she will cease to be great." Today that notion of the essential goodness of America is under attack, replaced by another story in which theft and plunder are seen as the defining features of American history—from the theft of Native American and Mexican lands and the exploitation of African labor to a contemporary foreign policy said to be based on stealing oil and a capitalist system that robs people of their "fair share".
Our founding fathers warned us that, although the freedoms they gave us were hard fought, they could very easily be lost. America stands at a crossroads, and the way we understand our past will determine our future. America the movie takes 21st-century Americans into the future by first visiting our past.
Gerald Molen, the Academy-award winning producer of Schindler's List, and Dinesh D'Souza, the creator of 2016: Obama's America, invite you on a journey of discovery that will bring you face-to-face with the heroes who built America, in the times in which they lived, bled, and sacrificed in order to build a great nation: Christopher Columbus, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, and others. You'll be there as Columbus sets foot on American soil, as bullets whiz by Washington's head, as Douglass demands that America live up to the promises of her Founding Fathers, and as Lincoln sacrifices thousands of lives, including his own, to right a great wrong of history.
We'll also meet their present-day critics, hear their stories, and then let you decide which America you believe in. From the team that created 2016: Obama's America comes the story not of a man but a nation, at the crossroads of hope or disaster, whose destination will soon be decided.

Your link

i didn't think the movie, 2016: Obama's America, was being shown, it's not to the best of my knowledge.
Why are you trying so hard to get this Old Maoist Ex-Communist Chinese Lady to agree with you?
Do you have a Goal or an Agenda. Why do I have to agree with you.
Hell, I don't agree with my husband 40 % of the time and I shot him once, that's how we met kind of,,,,, another story.
Anyway, Like I said, I would have to see this movie, like I've watched the others.
I still don't agree to Right VS Left or Left VS Right Crap in the Classrooms.

But how America became the Country so many people long to travel to and be part of, I have to see!

Again using the link you provided me, they are going to have different leaders in our history portrayed to include.

FREDERICK DOUGLASS
Played By: Josh Bonzie

Frederick Douglass' life was defined by America's greatest foundational proclamation: "all men are created equal" and "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights." After escaping from slavery at the age of 20, he courageously spent the rest of his life fighting to exterminate slavery and win freedom for his people.
A master of rhetoric, Douglass shattered the argument that slaves were inherently less intelligent than their masters. His eloquence and intellect quickly became famous across the country; after he released his first autobiography, critics were so impressed by its brilliance that they claimed that Douglass, a former slave, could not have been the true author.
Douglass' legacy lives on today, and his works are widely read and admired by Americans from all walks of life. His words about the importance of freedom are relevant even today: "no man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."

And by the way if you didn't notice, these are Black Americans from our history past.

MADAME C.J. WALKER
Played By: Janitta Swain
America has always empowered her people to rise from humble beginnings and achieve greatness, and Madame C.J. Walker was no exception. Born into poverty, she developed a line of beauty products for black women and became the first self-made female millionaire the nation had ever seen, a mere fifty years after slavery was abolished.
Like many wealthy Americans, she used much of her fortune to benefit and empower others. She spent many years training black women to build their own businesses and was active in the NAACP and the National Association of Colored Women, where she worked tirelessly to improve schools, orphanages, and retirement homes.
Despite her success, she never forgot her humble beginnings and the hard work it took for her to achieve her dreams: "I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South," she said. "From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations . . . I have built my own factory on my own ground."

American Movie

I'll have to watch the whole movie had then give my opinion of weather it is purely Evil Political Propaganda like you appear to be applying.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
DB post

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

That's science

hahaha, more accurately disputed pseudo science bordering on religious zealotry

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join