It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear white people

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

than explain it to me

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: monkofmimir
Race is not a dirty word neither is it somthing that is unsuitible for polite convasation. We should be talking about it, joking about it expressing our beliefs and learning about what makes us both similar and diffrent.

The problem with all this politically correct garbage is that it shuts these convasations down. People become wary of expressing their opinions on race either through fear of causing offense or fear of getting into trouble.

I agree totally.
I live in a predominantly (98%) white area of England but I am Welsh, not English, and I have faced actual discrimination and unkindness at times over the years from uneducated English people who will never like me, solely because I'm Welsh.
OK, my skin colour is the same but 'just not being English' has attracted abuse which genuinely surprised me the first time I experienced it over 20 years ago.
The real crime is basically cruelty and intentional unkindness to other human beings, regardless of the focussed labels or social groups concerned (Gay, black, trans-gendered Welsh, whatever) so a person being abused for being fat with acne is as deserving of support as one who is being abused for being black. It annoys me that vile behaviour is often considered somehow worse if it relates to skin colour over say nationality as in my case.
All abusive and cruel behaviour is equally bad for the recipient of the abuse.

That said, I work on building sites and we all take the piss out of each other all day, it's a laugh and a good way to explore deeper conversations through humour, and if nobody was taking the piss out of someone they would soon start wondering 'why does nobody feel comfortable enough to take the piss, maybe they don't like me'.
I get pisstake for being Welsh (Leek eating, sheep shagging, crap at football, blah) and I take the piss back about whatever pigeon hole I can put my individual workmates in. It is banter, humour which helps us explore issues we may otherwise not discuss seriously. I genuinely hope the people who cry political correctness at every turn do not get their way and create a society which is too scared to kindly tease and laugh with each other about race.
Let's fight against all cruelty instead of declaring certain types of cruelty as worse than others.
The example fat guy with acne suffers just as much as the black guy being abused by cruel people.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Disgusting no matter the point of the movie. America is very good at separating its people, from religion and government to music and movies. Music and movies are the #1 "brain washing" techniques that we use.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Interesting trailer, certainly a commentary on the times we are living in.

Racism must be accepted before it has tangible impact, it is an idealism on its own,but as soon as it is accepted it becomes a tangible force.

Strike the word from the language and you displace the concept,simply strike the words themselves and Humanity will move forward.

I am Canadian and I chuckle at the stereotypes people have in other countries,but this is really a US issue,it is really about the American perspective.Personally I quit watching Opera after she gained enough juice to start putting a few little old white ladies and a few redneck ingrates in her audience while the majority of the audience were black people and then bringing out the Black Defense brigade and a few illiterate white people wearing White Hoods onstage to ignite racial tensions and do so on an artificially structured uneven playing field,Opera was getting revenge plain and simple,and it was soooo regressive and inflamatory,I quit watching her very early in her talk show career.Opera was an arse.

An arse is an arse and to create a word like racist to describe an arse creates an entirely new dynamic which we do not need,so strike the words from the language,the words were INTENTIONALLY CREATED AND PLANTED ANYWAYS.To cause societal discourse ,not to create progress and unity.

We dont have to ACCEPT the words or the concepts they represent.

If you pick on someone you are an arse,plain and simple no other word is needed for as soon as we make up a word we create division and we reinforce differences that should not matter,racism is a CONTRIVED concept intentionally planted in our societys,and it can be removed very very easily,by removing the words from our languages.

It is really about money and power,not about people.

In america the moeny and power are controlled by White people in general, it is an imbalanced dynamic and causes problems.In Canada the money is spread evenly amongst MANY different cultural groups, and there is no such problem,or rther no such degree of problem.

In Canada White people make up a disproportionate number of poor people, it is what it is.There is nothing racial about it, the BOOMERS screwed their children by deconstructing the nuclear family and then sitting by and watching many new waves of culturally different immigrants bring THEIR NUCLEAR FAMILIES to canada keeping them INTACT and therefore giving them tremendous fiscal long term advantages and sucess,nothing racial there,just better managment.It doesnt matter if you are Pakistani,Chineese,Syrian,Filipino,African,anyone who is prepared to follow the nuclear family template will find extreme sucess in Canada,and anyone who breaks the continuity of that structure will suffer terribly in Canada for they will be permanently fiscally disadvantaged and will be poor.

When you fail to keep familys together you invite discourse and societal failure.When you disenfnchise the nuclear family you simply destroy societys ability to grow and to prosper.

The 60s revolution was an act of war or domestic terrorism,it absolutely destroyed the nuclear family and crippled the Countrys mostly white for generations,these countrys were intentionally tripped up and their growth was artificially stunted.It is what it is.

American Black people are suffering the same dynamic as Canadian White people,and it is not racism catalysing the dynamic,it is fiscal inequality caused by the destruction of the nuclear family which is key to surviving in the economic and fiscal Global environment.

Social commentarys are observations and this means they are reflections of our intentions societally, I see this type of stuff as progress,the further we bury old ideas the better,as I said strike the words from the languages and the concepts and dynamics die with the words,it really is that simple,then we are left to deal with the real causality of our problems and THAT is progress.

These types of things are baby steps towards disenfranchising concepts of lightening them up woth satire,the OPTIMAL and instant path is to simply strike the words from our languages and not allow our kids to be exposed to or to accept the concepts.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
than explain it to me

Go see the movie with an open mind. You just might learn something.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

than explain it to me

The movie addresses the same exact thing you think it's championing. It's not endorsing the illusion that black people get a free pass at being racist. That's what she thinks. A character. Who obviously learns several lessons. This is how most movies (especially based on a college campus) work. You have a student (and sometimes a professor) who, at the beginning of the movie, has a set-in-stone way of thinking that is usually a current meme in whatever time setting it's based in and through the course of the movie, he or she learns the error of their ways (sometimes through love, sometimes through loss) and their eyes are then opened.

If I understand how you feel about double-standards in racism, I would expect you to really want to see this movie and to promote it. I think you'll be surprised that it probably pushes a lot of what you think.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
as if you've seen it. Thank you for your command but no thanks

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

than explain it to me

No need to over think, but I certainly feel there is very little out there showing things from the black persons point of view with Hollywood. There are a handful of black actors used and reused but we don't see that much of anything but white really. It was not that long ago just my Mom's day that almost all Indian, Mexicans, Chinese and Blacks were also portrayed by painted whites. Lol so ridiculous!

If you don't want to see the movie no big deal right, but why should it bother you that it is out there.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Thank you for that karmic. That is what I saw in the trailer also. The whole thing appears to jab at "race relations" rather than "racism". The title seems intent on being in your face provocative. From the title, some whites will immediately think "reverse racism" while some black will think, "this'll show them honkys". Hopefully both can be surprised and maybe, just maybe learn something about themselves.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
So you criticise a film you haven't actually watched, and have no intention of ever watching?
I perhaps naively expect film critics to have watched a movie before making any assertions about it...otherwise it is very much ike a judge calling a verdict without listening to either the prosecution or defence first.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

From the title, some whites will immediately think "reverse racism" while some black will think, "this'll show them honkys". Hopefully both can be surprised and maybe, just maybe learn something about themselves.

I don't know why I couldn't sum it up like that.

I'm pretty sure this will piss off ignorant white people and black people alike and hopefully open their eyes a bit while the rest of the viewers who actually "get it" will get to have something in their DVD library to show their racist friends.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

than explain it to me

If you have to ask then you will never know

Sarcasm aside.
The clip you showed is exactly what you wanted to see, the professor, i assume, tell her that her radio station is racist. And then when she decides to say that blacks cant be racist, he shows her the error in her thinking.
Stop looking for the hate, you are going to find it.
Watch things with an open mind. I can't help but go back to our conversation about the sagging pants and the possible underlying issue you had there too, seems it is here as well.

edit on thSat, 26 Jul 2014 19:20:41 -0500America/Chicago720144180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Phew! This is just a thread about the movie! For a minute there I thought it was somebody announcing that starting tomorrow, rich white people would no longer be ruling the world.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

And I'm glad that you can. and hope you enjoy the film but again like I said, its not to my taste and I think it just increases the feeling of hatred between races. Had another thought that, Can you imagine if it was called Dear Poor People? gotta imagine what people would think then.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Movie looks dumb regardless of the title.

Nothing in the movie screams original or entertaining but I guess we need more movies with the word black in it to make the world seem better.

Whatever

I am still waiting for my W.E.T channel.
White Entertainment Tv.
edit on 26-7-2014 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I did watch the trailer, both of them and found them very offensive. I'm sure you will think that maybe I'm over sensitive but that's fine you dont know me very well, I couldn't care less about what the message in a film is whether it be race or not but this one just seems to hit the nail right on the head calling it DEAR WHITE PEOPLE, is clearly trying to put it across that the film is aimed at the stupidity of white people, if it was called DEAR BLACK PEOPLE or DEAR POOR PEOPLE or even DEAR GAY PEOPLE, I'm sure it would be under attack and called racist.

My opinion can be made on a trailer because thankfully that's what the trailer is there for. I will refuse to watch the film on the basis that my money is not going to be supporting a film that 1 - has a title like that which is aimed to course controversy and 2 - is trying to make white people think they are beneath black people when in reality we are all equal.

It is films like this that creates more racism in the world. I thought we were trying to get passed it. but I guess now its okay to make jokes about people being white.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danny85
Had another thought that, Can you imagine if it was called Dear Poor People? gotta imagine what people would think then.

I imagine not as many people would give a # about it.
Being horrible to another human being only seems to be important these days if it involves race, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. Being horrible to poor people is apparently less regulated than other prescribed societal groups.
Cruelty and unkindness is equally horrible to the victims, no matter the societal group they may be members of.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

There is nothing offensive to white people in the movie according to what was shown in the trailer. Basically, it is about a black woman who gets annoyed with white people. Racist? No. Dumb? Yessss.

No one is making a movie on how black people think they own the world and walk around saying stupid stuff as it is annoying to most cultures. That movie won't happen either.

All this movie is trying to accomplish is the fact that most black people will see anything that centers on a black character and want to make money off that.

Simple as that.

Then of course you have the white people who will see this because they want others to think they are not racist and can be part of the black crowd.

No one cares.

Do what I do and hate all races equally.
edit on 26-7-2014 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm taking it you didn't watch your own video, just saw the title and went to make the post?

lol if anyone is offended after actually watching the trailer...

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join