It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear white people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So, have any of you herd about this new movie coming out titled Dear white people? Its supposed to be a satire, but from the trailer it primarily focuses on one group (white people). I despise this stuff, I believe it continues racial tensions and forces people to choose sides. Can you imagine a movie made called Dear black people? I believe this is racist i do not agree with the message and will not support this in any way. What do you think ATS? Here's the movie trailer

edit on 26-7-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I would watch movie called dear black people it doesn't sound bad to me.. But this movie looks interesting to say the least. Don't judge a book/movie by its cover/title.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't like being defined by the color of my skin and I don't support the propagation of this mentality. Personally I always skip the race based question when filling things out or put something like RACE: Human. I don't want to be complicit in their game to keep people divided.

edit on 2014/7/26 by Metallicus because: sp

(post by GreenMtnBoys removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's a satire about race and racial relations. Of course they're going to talk about white people and black people. Just because someone mentions race doesn't mean it's racist. There was plenty of white AND black jokes/commentary in the trailer. They even said something like, "Can you imagine if it was 'Dear Black People'?"

I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I think people need to chill out instead of saying "That's Racist" every time someone mentions race or wants to discuss it.

This film actually could be very educational.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Before I watched the trailer, I figured I'd be pretty sickened but this seems like a pretty across-the-board jab at racial ignorance.

The protagonist being both black and white is a good sign. From what I can tell, it slaps down both sides of the fence, attacking ignorance and not in a cruel way. It may be a positive force that will change some minds.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicusvery wise choice my friend

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Ignorance

Not worth my time watching.....
'nuff said

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'll bet the book was better.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerrorAlertRed

Ignorance

Not worth my time watching.....
'nuff said

Did you watch the trailer at least? Or did you just decide you knew everything you needed to know about it by the title.
If so, yes that is very ignorant

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
who cares if its racist and filled with nazis or black slaves ?

It´s fiction, there are many movies, books and series with racist titles and racist content.

Cant see whats the problem, its the entertainment industry, if we begin to put more censor and filter in this world.. well it would get really boring

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Excellently put.
Some folk appear desperate to find a race card to whinge about when none exists.
I sometimes tease my English black friends when for example someone was a prick to them 'it must be coz you is black', and they tease me with 'it must be coz you is sheep-shagging Welshman' - I think we all need to chill out and recognise the difference between funny banter and being unkind.
Being cruel to someone should not be considered worse because of race/gender/sexual orientation/disability or whatever, it is the baseline act/intention of being cruel that is more damaging, not the thing/label the cruel person directed their cruelty at.

If this film is indeed a critique of race relations then the humour may well help to emphasise the ridiculous judgement of people based on skin colour...but only if the audience is intelligent enough to understand it.
edit on 26-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
From the title I thought I was going to think it was stupid. But after watching the trailer, it does look pretty funny.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I will see this movie. I think it looks good. But then, I'm interested in being a part of the destruction of racism. It exists, it's real and denying it isn't going to change anything, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

Mods removed the post I responded to. So i will respect the mods and remove my reply.
edit on 26-7-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Oh Goodness. What an in your face satirical jab at race relations in the USA. And that title. Slam Bang.
At first I was hoping it was going to be a really " black over white you have suppressed us so long and now give us a free lunch cuz we piss and moan so much" crybaby low grade flick that so many think it is all about.

But no. Even though some can't even get past the title with out salivating over the "smoking gun' of reverse racism, this movie promises to be very astute and penetrating, for those of course who are not already sunk in the mire of their own limitations.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As far as I can tell the movie doesn't seem racist and even goes so far as to embrace multiple opinions.

Race is not a dirty word neither is it somthing that is unsuitible for polite convasation. We should be talking about it, joking about it expressing our beliefs and learning about what makes us both similar and diffrent.

The problem with all this politically correct garbage is that it shuts these convasations down. People become wary of expressing their opinions on race either through fear of causing offense or fear of getting into trouble.

White guilt is another BS part that is holding us back. those who oppressed minorities into slavery are long gone and the sins of the father are not passed onto the son.

Yes there are still racists around but their ideology thrives on silence and fear.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join