It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8.1 Is the Nail in the Coffin

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I dont need to back up anything...if it goes bad I can use an old copy of windows 7...i never wanted 8 anyway...from the very beginning I contemplated putting 7 on here but was unsure how it would respond. I actually barely use the touch features at all. If 8 went bad or I didn't like it I would just go to 7...its just a pain in the butt to do it and I was really trying to give 8 a legitimate try. I have used linux..windows...and a mac..and the amount of errors on some of the linux distros were worse than windows...just because it doesnt have the drivers and stuff i want to use the hardware I want...but ive never had a problem with any apple product other than iTunes being awful and it being so limited compared to windows.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
I dont need to back up anything...if it goes bad I can use an old copy of windows 7...

Your computer doesn't have drivers for Windows 7.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

A fresh install of windows 7 would put drivers on it wouldnt it? Or id just go to linux next if I couldnt get that working

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

You could try installing windows 7 to a USB thumb drive and then telling the UEFI to boot from the USB. Then could check to see if windows has any Microsoft drivers that will work with your computer. But i dnot know if you can do that with a computer that has had win8 installed on iy because of the uefi security

But dont forget its not Microsoft job to provide drivers for all systems. Each manufacture should do that, but as arpman said Razor pro doesnt do that for win 7. So there is a real possibility that some of the hardware wont work.

From what i have read about Razor they are totally failing in the driver dept. Their propitiatory driver updater is giving everyone lots of problems.

edit on 28-7-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was very hesitant to leave windows 7 but I'm really into computers and I wanted to try the newest OS out there at the time. I installed windows 8.1 Professional with Stardocks Start8 and I love it. Every single one of my drivers was automatically downloaded, updated and installed on the first boot. My machine runs faster and starts faster and I couldn't be happier.

Windows 8 is powerful and works fine if you understand how to use it.

My machine specs are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz | ASUS M5A97 EVO | HIS H679F1GD Radeon HD 6790 | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W | ASUS 24X DVD Burner | Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 | Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case | HANNSPREE HF225 21.5" x 2 | Windows 8.1 Pro 64

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: ArMaP

A fresh install of windows 7 would put drivers on it wouldnt it? Or id just go to linux next if I couldnt get that working

It may but not in all cases, you would probably need to install some drivers.

Edit To Add: Try DriverPack Solution if you are unsure if there are drivers out there for your machine.
edit on 8/20/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/20/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I did eventually fix it...turns out I was installing the wrong driver..I had to go to the razer website specifically and get the exact updates. The dobly home theartre driver i found online I guess wasn't the right one.

So its not totally windows fault but im still pissed at it. I just don't like, I shouldn't have to be making extra steps with every update or every piece of hardware. Also hate when I open ceratin files it forces me to the "tablet" mode trying to convince me thats where i want to be....of course this is easily changed but i have to change it for like 10 file types, jpeg, png, mp4, mp3 etc...god I wish I could fall in love with linux...id put it on here so fast and just null the touchscreen.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
when I was trying different Linux distros, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu were the two big guys out there. The installation is usually very easy. Both understand the need to give the user the option to make Linux the 2nd OS in a dual-boot PC (recommended). Generally, you want to stick with the most popular distros, as they are popular for a reason. One of those reasons is, yes, driver compatibility.

If you can get ahold of a Windows 7 DVD, then try to make your PC mult-boot. That way you get the best of all OSs.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
With Windows 8 you get a lot of User Error...LOL. My experience at least. I just stick to Windows 7.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
While I hate to admit it, I kind of like Windows 8.1; it's a lot more accessible than regular Windows 8, and really does run quickly.

For the OP, a little patience goes a long way, and if you aren't able to get through your current issue, go with either Windows 7 again, or Linux Mint.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join