It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8.1 Is the Nail in the Coffin

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Agreed, Linux Mint is the most user-friendly free operating system out there.

-MM

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus
Not sure mate.
After i Googled it i found others with the same issue after immediately downloading windows 8.1.
Maybe it is computer related but in hindsight i would have never updated.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Thats why i'm staying with 7 when i get any new microsoft run products

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Format c: \q \s
This will fix your problem. Remember to backup your system or you will loose everything.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
This is and will be the last Windows product I buy after using Windows for over 20 years.

I hope you haven't bought Windows 8.1, as this is a free upgrade from Windows 8.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I run a bootleg version of windows 7 ultimate in parallel on my macbook pro and it works better than any windows system ever worked for me on a PC... The only catch is, there is a watermark in the bottom right to constantly remind me "this version of windows is not genuine" like it's trying to guilt trip me into buying the real version.. lol

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight
I disagree. Windows 2000 was beyond awesome after coming from 98 or me. Going from NT servers to 2000 was just as bliss.
But deep down NT 5.0 (win 2000) and NT 5.1 (xp32) or NT5.2 (xp64) were same.
Vista (NT 6.0)
7 (NT 6.1)
8 (NT 6.2)
8.1 (NT 6.3)
All pretty much the same under the hood.
MS could wipe out almost all negative feedback if they would just allow the average consumer to disable the Metro interface with a checkbox.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Did your computer have windows 8 when you bought it? I suspect if it did, you may have problems with going to windows 7 as some of W8's info is written into the motherboard. I found this out after I bought my daughter a new windows 8 computer said she liked mine better (7). So when I tried to do a fresh install of 7 on her computer it would give me all kinds of errors about not being able to install W7. I learned about Windows 8 being hard-coded into some motherboards on pre-release as a tech-support agent.

Needless to say just curious about the original operating system and letting you know about some of the issues possible with switching to Windows 7.

P.S. - If I wasn't gaga for graphics, Linux Mint FTW!!!

Kind Regards,

F_R

edit on 7/26/2014 by Frank_Rizzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

no i bought 8 with the tablet computer i got and it crammed 8.1 down my throat until i accepted it...which i did easily since i didnt like 8

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Frank_Rizzo

that is really interesting to read...i suspect id have tons of problems going to 7 since its a touchscreen tablet...if im gonna risk that big of a jump id just wipe it and go linux

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
a reply to: TinkerHaus
Not sure mate.
After i Googled it i found others with the same issue after immediately downloading windows 8.1.
Maybe it is computer related but in hindsight i would have never updated.

exactly right..i should have researched before updating...but i was under the impression no problem is too big for me to not fix...my manliness did this to me!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I rarely try to update but one of the first things I do once software wont work is I go an update...the only reason why I allowed the window 8.1 was because I wasn't happy with 8 and I thought" well surely it can't be worse"....

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Do a system restore to Win 7 maybe? Talking out of me arse here, as I'm far from being a tech person, but can this not be done?

No it cant be done once you have logged into windows 8.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

First of all you need to chill out a bit, updates sometimes cause problems, its an unfortunate fact of life. There is usually a way to fix things, we can at least try

We dont even know what computer you have at this point. whats the make and model?

edit on 27-7-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Losing your entire sound for no reason is not acceptable...its not a minor issue...or an issue that should happen at all..ever...and if it does..then they can put out a patch that fixes it immediately or asap. I was unable to find the answer online...luckily with past tinkering I had an idea that semi worked. It would be one thing if I installed some new sound card and was missing the drivers...or put in some new speakers that needed the drivers...this is normal...but it says all drivers up to date. I have about 30 other problems with windows 8 which most are very easily fixable with a google search...but that is it...I dont want to do that every time there is a problem....how would some old grandma deal with windows 8 if they werent used to fixing stuff like that...theyd have to take it in every other day to get something fixed on it.

It is getting ridiculous how crappy most products are these days in relation to software...they just assume they will put out a patch that fixes it some day. In this case there was no patch to fix it. 8.1 and 8 is #ing garbage...im not alone in this at all...

We spend money on products that are failing...so i am done...ill either use linux or a mac next time...the problem will work itself out when there is no one left buying their product cause its either pirated or they switch to something else.

And by the way its a Razer Edge Pro...its a tablet with some kick. Id drop down to windows 7 but im afraid id lose all the touch screen features...or worse. Razer Website
edit on 27-7-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

A lot of the time when updates cause hardware errors its because the manufacture didnt submit the hardware and/or drivers to windows hardware labs (whl) for testing. im not saying thats what happened here but its a possibility.

When you first bought your tablet did you make a backup of the system as recommended onto a 64bg usb drive?

edit on 27-7-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

i do not have a backup...its something with windows for sure...as 100s of people have posted the problem online since 2013 with all kinds of various makes and models.. I had mentioned I got it working but the volume is a little bit lower...its possible maybe its just supposed to be that way now which would seem odd. So I looked up some fixes for volume being low and tried all those with no result.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

you paid over $1000 for a computer but didnt buy a $50 usb to back up your system?

When i got my windows 8 laptop they told me to do this in the shop before i bought it, then it was in the instructions in the box and it also told me to do it when i first logged in. Windows 8 machines don't come with a system disk so its the only way to restore your system.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
And by the way its a Razer Edge Pro...its a tablet with some kick. Id drop down to windows 7 but im afraid id lose all the touch screen features...or worse. Razer Website

Windows 7 has touch screen support (I work in a company that sold several computers with a touch-screen and Windows 7), but I don't think your Razer Edge Pro supports it, they say that "The Razer Edge is optimized for Windows 8 and will not have supporting drivers for Windows 7.".

For the upgrade, did you follow these instructions?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

you gotta be kidding me lol...i did none of that...never seen that...i just clicked the upgrade that was presented by windows on my screen...the fact that I should have to do all that to upgrade is absolutely insane...which isn't totally windows fault but it just goes to show that there is too much hardware out there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join