It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine rebels go to the museum -- for WWII tanks and cannons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
As I said on the first page, most of the historic tanks at Bovington Tank Museum, in the UK, are quite active and regularly used in shows and displays. It even has one of the oldest surviving combat tanks from WW1 - over 100 years old and still drives!

they don't deactivate a tanks ability to drive, people legally collect them. Same with WWII aircraft ability to fly. What they do is deactivate the weapons. That's why they're going to be in for a shock when they fire that tanks main gun”.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yes, but whilst they might use them to intimidate people, there really is no other use for them. What are they going to fire? I don't think that there's much 122mm ammunition out there.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

That is true, the guns have all be de-act - but that is a requirement of the 1988 Firearms Act that Museums do that or face huge costs in licensing, which most Museums cannot afford. Whether the same rules apply in the Ukraine I do not know, but it certainly seems they have a much more relaxed attitude to weaponry, so who knows, maybe they only took these 3 pieces because they weren't de-act?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

.Putin could be looking the other way about what is going on and I am ok with that .

They call it Plausible Deniability something all leaders will use so they don't get put at the scene of the crime so to say.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
More likely than not they are just going to sell these things. The rebels have a habit of liberating things for the cause AKA stealing stuff and selling it on the black market. This of course is one reason the rebels are lacking the popular support in the region and that they losing so much ground. You simply can not fight a sustained revolt with out the support of the locals.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

More likely than not they are just going to sell these things. The rebels have a habit of liberating things for the cause AKA stealing stuff and selling it on the black market.

Well there is an interesting article that somewhat delves into such acts from the separatists...

SEVERODONETSK, Ukraine – When three Russian-backed separatists with Kalashnikovs turned up at Yuliy Krasiuk’s shop last month, he told them he didn’t want their protection. “There’s no-one I need protecting from except for you guys,” he recalls telling them.
He was right.

The gunmen got angry with his response and plundered Krasiuk’s shop of used consumer electronics. They took his car and detained him for two days until his wife paid nearly $2,000 for his release.

www.kyivpost.com...

Now that the separatists have left it seems the real stories are coming out, and they aren't good for the separatists.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think that the people who have been kept oppressed such as they have, naturally get pretty acquisitive when given the opportunity to do so.....The looting is a lot easier than working to make things better for all concerned,.....so that's what goes on as a rule in revolutions.....not the exception....what did you expect?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think that the people who have been kept oppressed such as they have, naturally get pretty acquisitive when given the opportunity to do so.....The looting is a lot easier than working to make things better for all concerned,.....so that's what goes on as a rule in revolutions.....not the exception....what did you expect?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Who's "oppressed"?

Surely, if there was such "oppression" going on, the Separatists would have far greater public support and be overwhelmed with volunteers? We're not seeing that in any way shape or form, in fact, quite the opposite.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I can certainly understand why the Russian terrorists would prefer to be called Ukraine rebels.

Who wants to admit being Russian?

They are Russian Terrorists.

I repeat: Russian Terrorists.

It hurts now, even to type the R word.

That Malaysian mishap really took the shine off the stars for everything else these hacks shot out of the sky. All those other SAM hits….those weren't crash victims, nope. Just some Ukraine craft watching over their sovereign air space, until they weren't….

If it isn't Russian, shoot it down!
cues Russian national anthem

Well, they shouldn't be recruiting desomorphine users, I guess. But those blue Russian flag outfits are so hard to resist. Covers up the sores.

Note to Vlad:

Putin, you are a genius. They'll rot, slowly, to death, for a fix, so of course they'll kill for yours, for your personal homesteading real estate expansion venture.
Great perks too. Shoot down things that fly. Rape Ukrainian girls, until they aren't.... All the loot you can hold on to, and then, when the dust settles, you get to call it your proud home! You don't even have to transport it. Most importantly, they get to drink on the job (checking contraindications now).

And now you raid museums. Finally, you are thinking.
My God…Vladimir, at this rate, soon you will be a rich man!!!!!

But don't look behind you, comrade. Some of your gains are being offset...by a thing that no one wants to believe in, yet every man must give thought to, at least once, before dying.

a reply to: switchqm8

# 237

edit on 27-7-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join