It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine rebels go to the museum -- for WWII tanks and cannons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Donetsk (Ukraine) (AFP) - Visiting a museum may be the last thing on the minds of hardened insurgents in east Ukraine, but a group of them turned up at one in Donetsk -- only to make off with a World War II tank and two howitzers.

"They had written authorisation to take them away," said a bewildered guard from his sentry post outside the immense World War II museum in the insurgent-held city.

"They loaded them into a big truck. They took the tank that was least damaged. I think they're going to use them to fight," he said, refusing to give his name.

When an AFP journalist visited the museum Friday there were still markings on the ground from where the separatist fighters had revved up their vintage loot and made off.

Ukraine rebels go to the museum -- for WWII tanks and cannons

Ok taking a old ww2 tank and howitzers? First i am amazed the still run/work..If they intend to use them do the have ammo 4 them or where would they get ammo.. This just seems weird 2 me and WHO gave them written authorization?

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

I was wondering the same thing... who gave the rebels permission?
Their rebel leader?
I didn't know rebels had this kind of power .

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Lol, Is that in the Urban Guerrilla Warfare manual?

Chapter ten--- Go to the War Museum.

Good idea. Ammo might be a little more difficult to come by.

Some better experts in WWII Soviet War Machine tech can tell if they are the same caliber today.

Lots oi US stuff is. "Ma Duce" for one.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It does'nt matter how old they are.

Big guns are always a plus on any Battlefield, been that way since we started killing each other with rocks and spears.

Still though, I thought that they took out the engines/weapon systems and drained the fluids and all that stuff before they put vehicles in a museum. I can't believe that they could just roll right in there and crank up a tank and roll out.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

in the UK, say at the Tank Museum, most of the vehicles are actually in full working order and are regularly trotted out for the public to see "in action" during displays and ceremonies.

All it takes is regular maintenance and a ready supply of cash/parts - with both, you can make a vehicle run forever.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I guess the Russian supplied arms were either not sufficient or too advanced for them to use . Oh wait ...do you think that maybe Russia is not supplying the rebel forces ? There were 33 killed the other day in a battle but they only had old AKs and were no match for the Ukrainian Army's fire power . They should have maybe used some of those advanced missiles the west is claiming they have .

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Back in WWII wasn't it Russia that tried to grab all the 'Artwork' that Hitler stole?
And didn't the allies end up finding most of the hidden 'loot'?

I going out on a limb, but I think their are going to be some really ticked off WWII vets all around the world if they hear about this crap. Or should I say more ticked vets?

a reply to: switchqm8

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There is a vid from a few months ago of them starting up a Stalin tank still on the war memorial pedestal. Now I'm gonna have to find it.

Here it is, I wonder if it has seen action yet.

edit on 26-7-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Guess contrary to what obumma and the west say putin not arming the rebels when they have to resort to borrowing from museums things are bad ..

doubt it will be much help against the stuff obumma gives to ukraine ..

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Maybe the written permission was also from the second world war and they were caught in a timeslip.... wish them luck using them .. maybe later for parade

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
I guess the Russian supplied arms were either not sufficient or too advanced for them to use . Oh wait ...do you think that maybe Russia is not supplying the rebel forces ? There were 33 killed the other day in a battle but they only had old AKs and were no match for the Ukrainian Army's fire power . They should have maybe used some of those advanced missiles the west is claiming they have .

So, one rebel unit is outmatched in a firefight and you automatically assume that entire of the separatists don't have heavy weapons? What about all the aircraft shot down, or rocket launchers being used, or the tanks being used?

Seems to me you're being ever so slightly selective.... There is ample evidence that the rebels have access to some rather heavy bits of kit and not just because the White House said so.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I find it difficult to believe that they would still function. Most museum pieces are “deactivated” when they are turned over from the military. Normally they will permanently deactivate the guns, making it so that they can either no longer fire (such as cementing the barrel), or that if you did fire them they would break (like weakening a spot on the barrel). On warships they usually bend and weld the prop drive shaft, so the engines no longer can be made to run. Aircraft will have the weapon systems, fire control systems, as well as most of the “high tech” tactical avionics (most of which are classified anyway) removed before they are handed over.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
There is a vid from a few months ago of them starting up a Stalin tank still on the war memorial pedestal. Now I'm gonna have to find it.

I think they are going to be in for a shock if they try and use the main gun on that thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Guess contrary to what obumma and the west say putin not arming the rebels when they have to resort to borrowing from museums things are bad ..

See my comment above... There is ample evidence of the rebels being in possession of all manner of weaponry they have either looted from the Ukrainian forces or have been given by the Russians, but as in any War, everything you can get you're sticky fingers on is helpful, as it is clear they are heavily outnumbered and lacking in local support.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well I must admit this is cool and I salute them.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: defcon5

As I said on the first page, most of the historic tanks at Bovington Tank Museum, in the UK, are quite active and regularly used in shows and displays. It even has one of the oldest surviving combat tanks from WW1 - over 100 years old and still drives!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

originally posted by: Expat888

See my comment above... There is ample evidence of the rebels being in possession of all manner of weaponry they have either looted from the Ukrainian forces or have been given by the Russians, but as in any War, everything you can get you're sticky fingers on is helpful, as it is clear they are heavily outnumbered and lacking in local support.

I agree, people shouldn't forget all of the units and equipment that was also captured in Crimea including a number of naval ships. In a link a supplied in another thread, 3 air defence companies defected to the Crimea pro russia side along with their 20 BUK missile launchers.

voiceofrussia.com...
edit on 26-7-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Considering that some of the rebels are made up of former Ukraine army and that some of the heavy weapons they have were taken with them or stolen from some of the bases . I recall a civilian check point early in this where a military truck was stopped and inside the back was a large stash of weapons . They were probably sold to Ukraine by Russia and so would have had the Made In Russia on them . But there is no indication that Putin is supplying them . There may be some stuff like the smaller missiles used to down some of the aircraft that could have either been taken from the Ukrainian army's stash or even smuggled out of Russia to help the rebels . I know if I had a son or brother in Ukraine that asked for my help and I could ,I would . a reply to: stumason

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yes, some equipment has been looted/captured, but there is plenty of evidence of Russia supplying Grad launchers and aged T-72's, as well as plentiful BTR-60 type IFV's having crossed the border. These are old weapons the Russians are likely to have had in storage, as opposed to active inventory.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's a big border and that may be what has happened .Putin could be looking the other way about what is going on and I am ok with that .I grew up in a poor neighbor hood and learned that you just have to see nothing ,hear nothing sometimes .Sometime the Authorities like to stick to the letter of the law but when someone needs to shoot a deer to feed their family out of season I see no sin in that . a reply to: stumason

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join